PDA

View Full Version : TVG=No Belmont Races on Opening Day

Shelby
09-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Arrrrrrgh! :bang:

They ARE going to play the 8th and 9th races, though.

turfnsport
09-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Arrrrrrgh! :bang:

They ARE going to play the 8th and 9th races, though.

The sooner they pull the plug on that joke of a TV network the better.

my_nameaintearl
09-11-2010, 01:18 PM
The sooner they pull the plug on that joke of a TV network the better.

They bring horse racing into the home without an extra charge they get a thumbs up in my book

turfnsport
09-11-2010, 01:19 PM
They bring horse racing into the home without an extra charge they get a thumbs up in my book

Yeah Woodbine and 58 Flat, good stuff...I would rather get a prostate exam.

Tom
09-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Look at the pathetic excuse of a line up from 2:28 to 2:58 - a full 30 minutes with only ONE RACE being shown.

Hey, with all the brain-dead talking heads they employ, they must need all that extra time form stupid talk. Hey, this the Fall championship meet, maybe Belmont didn't want to be covered by proven losers! :lol:

Go to HRTV - the ONLY real horse racing channel.

ronsmac
09-11-2010, 02:18 PM
I don't think they've passed a law forcing anyone to watch TVG.

redshift1
09-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Contractual skirmish soon to be resolved ... it will however send the complainers into a tailspin.

Shelby
09-11-2010, 02:21 PM
While I appreciate being able to watch races from my home with Directv and TVG, I think it's ridiculous to be showing only Woodbine, Turfway and Monmouth.

I can't log into my HRTV account for some reason, so I'm squinting at Twinspires on my 'puter screen lol.

What's odd is I could swear that the TVG tv schedule showed Belmont as being on today's schedule a couple of days ago.

Shelby
09-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Yeah Woodbine and 58 Flat, good stuff...I would rather get a prostate exam.

*snaps on gloves*

Bend over and cough.

:lol:;)

The Hawk
09-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Why is it that's it's always NY with these issues? You can't watch the races live on the ADW's on line either, right?

Shelby
09-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Contractual skirmish soon to be resolved ... it will however send the complainers into a tailspin.

Details please :)

OTM Al
09-11-2010, 02:27 PM
What takes longer, to come to this board and complain about something or find out why it is the way it is? Finley was right.

redshift1
09-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Details please :)

No question TVG is all wiggly since they lost their NYRA exclusivity.

From DRF:

TVG officials hope to be able to show the last three races from Belmont Park today either live or on tape delay.

Tony Allevato, the executive producer of TVG, said that due to a contractual agreement to show today's 13-race card from Delaware Park --- as well as exclusive agreements with Woodbine and Turfway Park and Monmouth Park -- it made it virtually impossible to show today's early races from Belmont. TVG does not have an exclusive agreement with the New York Racing Association. Belmont's races are also available on HRTV.

Allevato said that he hopes that by the time Belmont's eighth race comes around, TVG will be able to show that as well as the featured Bowling Green, and the nightcap.

Allevato said that life should ``be back to normal'' on Sunday and for the remainder of the Belmont fall meet.

Shelby
09-11-2010, 02:35 PM
What takes longer, to come to this board and complain about something or find out why it is the way it is? Finley was right.

Actually, it probably took me less time to come here and complain. ;)

Tom
09-11-2010, 02:38 PM
No offense, Al, but who cares why?
The bettors, as opposed to complainers, were set to bet and watch races TODAY. Nothing else should matter to them. Opening day was not a secret - both NYRA and TVG knew it was coming, so I don't care who dropped the ball, HRTV did not.

I don't give a crap why my soup is cold, I find another diner. :rolleyes:

As I suggested, switch to HRTV. Or, watch one race in 30 minutes at the lesser network. (should there be Surgeon Genreal warning on that much talking head?)

What I don't get is why so many people line up to defend TVG for being incompetent and willing to take whatever crumbs they throw out?

The Hawk
09-11-2010, 02:38 PM
NYRA is right: They can't find the time to at least show the races on tape delay? How about the stretch runs on tape delay? Anything?

Tom
09-11-2010, 02:40 PM
-- it made it virtually impossible to show today's early races from Belmont.

Looking at the 2:28 - 2:58 time slot, they are not very busy today.One of the last people I would believe is a TVG exec.

Shelby
09-11-2010, 02:40 PM

From DRF:

TVG officials hope to be able to show the last three races from Belmont Park today either live or on tape delay.

Tony Allevato, the executive producer of TVG, said that due to a contractual agreement to show today's 13-race card from Delaware Park --- as well as exclusive agreements with Woodbine and Turfway Park and Monmouth Park -- it made it virtually impossible to show today's early races from Belmont. TVG does not have an exclusive agreement with the New York Racing Association. Belmont's races are also available on HRTV.

Allevato said that he hopes that by the time Belmont's eighth race comes around, TVG will be able to show that as well as the featured Bowling Green, and the nightcap.

Allevato said that life should ``be back to normal'' on Sunday and for the remainder of the Belmont fall meet.

Thank you :)

I am glad that they will be showing the rest of the meet.

Shelby
09-11-2010, 02:43 PM
The bettors, as opposed to complainers, were set to bet and watch races TODAY. Nothing else should matter to them. Opening day was not a secret - both NYRA and TVG knew it was coming, so I don't care who dropped the ball, HRTV did not.

As I suggested, switch to HRTV. Or, watch one race in 30 minutes at the lesser network. (should there be Surgeon Genreal warning on that much talking head?)

What I don't get is why so many people line up to defend TVG for being incompetent and willing to take whatever crumbs they throw out?

Good points.

That's why I was/am complaining.

I was all excited to bet today and then BAM, no coverage.

It's not fun (for me) to bet and not be able to watch the races.

I live in the sticks, so no last minute trip to an OTB place.

turfnsport
09-11-2010, 02:44 PM

Well said Tom

exiles
09-11-2010, 03:01 PM
TVG THE CRAP NETWORK

turfnsport
09-11-2010, 04:08 PM
The following is a statement from The New York Racing Association, Inc. (NYRA) regarding TVG’s decision not to air Saturday’s Belmont Park races:

“TVG made the decision not to show today’s races at Belmont Park, either live or by replay, without contacting NYRA,” said NYRA Executive VP and COO Hal Handel. “TVG has the right to display our races but they make their own decisions on what programming to offer. We have encouraged TVG to revisit the issue, but ultimately it is out of our control.”

Shelby
09-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Yay the 8th is being shown!

Canarsie
09-11-2010, 04:47 PM

From DRF:

If you believe this TVG propaganda I have a newspaper to sell you called Pravda. :bang:

They were showing Woodbine and Delaware on tape delay all last week. Saratoga is over this is all about not being an exclusive track. They did the same thing to the Oak Tree meet last year if I recall correctly. :ThmbDown:

redshift1
09-11-2010, 05:08 PM
If you believe this TVG propaganda I have a newspaper to sell you called Pravda. :bang:

They were showing Woodbine and Delaware on tape delay all last week. Saratoga is over this is all about not being an exclusive track. They did the same thing to the Oak Tree meet last year if I recall correctly. :ThmbDown:

Of course Its self-serving and preposterous, what did you expect TVG to say "we are withholding the NYRA signal from our customers because NYRA refuses to agree to our exorbitant and confiscatory demands"

affirmedny
09-11-2010, 05:37 PM

very sharp post

turfnsport
09-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Allevato of TVG from bloodhorse: "We only have 60 minutes in an hour. It wouldn’t make sense to show 16 or 18 races in an hour. We wouldn’t be doing a service to anyone by doing that.”

sonnyp
09-11-2010, 05:48 PM
any horseplayer who continues to be a pawn in this chirade by patronizing T V G and it's band of idiotic on air personalities and gestapo management should no longer complain about their abuse since it is now crystal clear where the only commitment by T V G lies.....to itself.

join the ranks of those who bill finley labeled as stupid.

cj
09-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Funniest line I've heard today:

“So basically, we had no choice. We can’t show every race. We only have 60 minutes in an hour. It wouldn’t make sense to show 16 or 18 races in an hour. We wouldn’t be doing a service to anyone by doing that.”

andymays
09-11-2010, 05:53 PM
There's a lot of manipulating behind the scenes with all these deals.

TVG/Betfair has a plan and I don't feel too good about it whatever it is.

What they're saying and what they're doing is two different things.

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2010, 06:03 PM
any horseplayer who continues to be a pawn in this chirade by patronizing T V G and it's band of idiotic on air personalities and gestapo management should no longer complain about their abuse since it is now crystal clear where the only commitment by T V G lies.....to itself.

join the ranks of those who bill finley labeled as stupid.gestapo? Get some perspective please...

What's next? A 9/11 reference?

JustRalph
09-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Allevato of TVG from bloodhorse: "We only have 60 minutes in an hour. It wouldn’t make sense to show 16 or 18 races in an hour. We wouldn’t be doing a service to anyone by doing that.”

Tell that to the people who are now paying Dishnet an extra fee to ditch the talking heads and get nothing but races,,,,,,,,all the time........

TVG should be very afraid of this business model and relationship with Dishnet

Btw, Let me translate the Statement from Allevato for you

" We wouldn't be driving enough traffic to our ADW"

sonnyp
09-11-2010, 06:10 PM
gestapo? Get some perspective please...

What's next? A 9/11 reference?

ya, gestapo....you know.....thugs. term is used all the time for behavior such as theirs.

only you could equate anything said to a reference to 9/11. nice job

thespaah
09-11-2010, 06:18 PM
TVG made a decsion based on exclusvity.
Because NYRA will not adree to become an exclusive TVG entity, TVG has leverage.
IMO this is a shot across NYRA's bow serving as a warning to NYRA that it needs to play ball with TVG.
As far as I am concerned this is one more nail in my personal TVG coffin.
TVG may have made a decision here. TVG eff'd up today.

igiveupregistering
09-11-2010, 06:35 PM
I signed up for hrtv...9.99/month on internet to watch NYRA.
I'm a ny resident and nyra signal is blocked out for NYRA and ADW's ny residents.
. Any NY-OTB shows the ny races on the internet...capital otb...catskill otb... etc. IF you use their adw. Go figure how NYSWB gets away with this restraint of trade.

I already have TS, Youbet and NYRAone accounts to watch NYRA program.

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2010, 07:28 PM
ya, gestapo....you know.....thugs. term is used all the time for behavior such as theirs.

only you could equate anything said to a reference to 9/11. nice jobI wasn't equating anything. A reference to 9/11 would be the logical next step for anyone witless enough to link TVG's actions to "the secret state police in Nazi Germany; known for its terrorist methods" which is the first definition found for the word gestapo.

Maybe now you will realize how incredibly out of bounds your comment is...

I know...it's all about being clever and trying to shock us...what it really is is tasteless and boring.

Marshall Bennett
09-11-2010, 07:53 PM
And the beat goes on. Someone told us in another thread to stay on topic. Suppose it depends on who you are anymore.

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2010, 07:55 PM
And the beat goes on. Someone told us in another thread to stay on topic. Suppose it depends on who you are anymore.Whatever dude. Try and see how JUST MAYBE there are differences between situations. I know it's subtle, but I think you can handle it...

PurplePower
09-11-2010, 07:58 PM
TVG did the same thing with Sam Houston in early 2000's when GM Bob Bork would not sign the exclusive agreement with them. With the same number of tracks available they could no longer find a place (between harness racing from somewhere and TB races from Mountaineer). Rather than consider how to maximize the interest in the fans so that fans want to watch their shows they have chosen the exclusivity model to force fans to watch their presentations.
Personally, I liked some of the "talking". I think they made a mistake when they went "more formal", shutting down some of the type of banter that horse players actually do and requiring "heads" to be in suit and tie and more like a "news cast". (I rarely watch them any more as I prefer the video interface on Twin Spires.)

One of their best shows was "The Works", but instead of continuing and improving that program (and the fan interest), they stopped when they no longer had exclusive of CD. They could have used that to build a fan base, even if they did not get to show CD at all. I'm not in the TV business obviously, but just seemed to me like it would have been a good thing to do.

OTM Al
09-11-2010, 08:41 PM

Why is a business decision. It's a tv channel yet the way everyone talks about it it's the be all and end all. Frankly I thought it was a bad decision as Belmont had a pretty full card today and probably did close to what all their exclusive partners did combined. They regularly don't show tracks they can. Today it was Belmont. In Nyc at least we can flip on the OTB channel. Everyone else can watch on their account wagering service. So what's the big deal.

If I could get hrtv I would and I'd watch it too. Wish I could have ATR from England as well. TVG supplies a product. Buy it or don't, but I'm tired of people whining like this network owes them something. If you don't like it, and I agree totally with Tom on this, don't watch, but it seems to me that everyone around here that claims to hate it, watches more than I do.

Relwob Owner
09-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Why is a business decision. It's a tv channel yet the way everyone talks about it it's the be all and end all. Frankly I thought it was a bad decision as Belmont had a pretty full card today and probably did close to what all their exclusive partners did combined. They regularly don't show tracks they can. Today it was Belmont. In Nyc at least we can flip on the OTB channel. Everyone else can watch on their account wagering service. So what's the big deal.

If I could get hrtv I would and I'd watch it too. Wish I could have ATR from England as well. TVG supplies a product. Buy it or don't, but I'm tired of people whining like this network owes them something. If you don't like it, and I agree totally with Tom on this, don't watch, but it seems to me that everyone around here that claims to hate it, watches more than I do.

Nice post and I couldnt agree more.......like you say, TVG is a business and they have to make business and financial decisions in order to stay on the air. Every business around makes decisions in their own best interest and TVG is no different.

TVG is in a very tough position where they have to try and have people with personality on the air who can possibly bring in new people and combine them with those with extensive knowledge to satisfy the more hard core fans. Rudulph takes a lot of heat on here but when I have it on and non horse racing people are around, they usually like him and have their interest peaked a bit.

I am just glad that even with the decline in racing and its popularity, they are still on the air.

redshift1
09-11-2010, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE=sonnyp]ya, gestapo....you know.....thugs. term is used all the time for behavior such as theirs.

Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie
An Effective, Low-Cost Solution To Combating Mind-Control
Home | Building | Usage & Maintenance | Aluminum Alternatives | History | Testimonials | Links
Quick Instructions For Building An AFDB

1 Get a five foot sheet of aluminum foil (standard one foot wide Reynolds Wrap brand will do nicely.)

2 Fold the sheet four times into five equal segments so that you end up with a 1x1 foot square, making sure that you fold over the dull side of the foil leaving the square shiny on both sides.

3 Use scissors to cut from one corner of the square to the center, making a straight line.

4 Bend the foil from one side of the cut under the other, making a slight cone. Again, make sure that the outside of the cone has a shiny side of the foil; this is VERY important.

5 Place the cone on your head and squash the top and sides to make it fit snugly.

6 Apply Scotch tape liberally making sure to secure the cut in the foil and any form-fitting creases made in step 5.

These instructive diagrams are also available in an easy-to-print PDF format for non-comercial use by concerned educators and paranoid bill posters.
7 Use more tape to secure AFDB to your cranium.

jelly
09-11-2010, 10:49 PM
TVG chose not to show the first 7 races in protest to NewYork's high takeout. :)

David-LV
09-11-2010, 10:56 PM

From DRF:

I think the time has come for Mr. Allevato to resign.

You just can't be anymore incompetent than this group that is running TVG right now, it is time for some new blood that actually knows how to run a business instead of these boobs.

_________
David-LV

coastkid
09-11-2010, 11:11 PM
I know we have a choice to turn TVG off. But what remains as far as DIRECTV customers they do not carry HRTV. I just pay HRTV a yearly fee to watch on Internet. One caveat I love horse racing and often Fair Grounds and their OFF Track Outlets. I live in the Righteous and Holy State state of Mississippi where gambling on horses is a sin. What a crock we have 10 casinos who cannot offer Sports Book. So frustration reigns but I am only 50 miles from the Fair Grounds. TVG's programming is Juvenile and just scratches the surface of what HRTV offers. :bang:

David-LV
09-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Thanks Tony,

Only on 9/11 would a network ignore racing from the place of a tragedy.

You Tony should be ashamed of yourself for trying to make a statement on this particular day.

We all know it was your decision to make.

_________
David-LV

Tom
09-11-2010, 11:42 PM
So if it is a business decision, it is no big deal.
What the hell is high take out that everyone is lined up against?
Some business decisions are no big deal and others are, I guess.

If people don't complain, and I strongly encourage everyone to email TVG, as I do EVERY WEEK, how will they know people do not like their miserable product?

BUt all who are happy to eat the crumbs they thorw out, no skin off mmy nose.

I know we have a choice to turn TVG off. But what remains as far as DIRECTV customers they do not carry HRTV.

Write and complain regularly. And call. Repeatedly
YOU are the CUSTOMER. Make them hear you.

WJ47
09-12-2010, 02:34 AM
I enjoy TVG most of the time, but I was annoyed with no Belmont. I primarily play NYRA races. I had no choice but to watch HRTV today.

menifee
09-12-2010, 02:43 AM

Tom, most of the people on this board and most horseplayers (including myself) don't find another diner when their soup is cold. They start complaining because they don't have a spoon.

BlueShoe
09-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Oh really, why not? First off, the math is a bit off. With 30 minutes between races, 16 or 18 races per hour would mean 8 or 9 tracks, something that TVG has never done and never will. If airing 4-6 tracks that means 8-12 races per hour. At perhaps 3 minutes average view time to show the load and race itself, that is 24-36 minutes per hour of live racing. That leaves ample time each hour for commentary, posting results, post parades, and commercial breaks. Perhaps TVG execs are not aware that most of its viewers are still quite capable of doing grammar school arithmatic.

Rise Over Run
09-12-2010, 09:51 AM

Actually, that's an incorrect statement, at least for NJ residents. Regardless of who (NY or NJ) is at fault, it's been almost a year since I could watch NYRA races through the State wagering platform (4njbets). However, they're more than happy to remind me that I can watch the races on HRTV or TVG. :lol: :lol:

All that means is that my wagering dollars head across the Delaware River to Philly Park (oops, Parx) or one of their OTWs.

fmolf
09-12-2010, 10:42 AM
obviously they(TVG) are making more money from delaware and monmouth and woodbines exclusive aggreements than they do with nyra (anyone can have our signal for a reasonable price)policy.Most of us will continue to bet belmont and watch other stations to see belmonts races so in doing what their doing tvg is actually losing money.How many players here didn't play nyra races and played a tvg exclusive track instead?I say let them cut off their nose....they have always been biased against the nyra anyway because the nyra refuses to be bullied by them!the same reason why the nyra is ignored basically by the breeders cup as well.Stand tall and stick to your guns NYRA!

OTM Al
09-12-2010, 05:11 PM
So if it is a business decision, it is no big deal.
What the hell is high take out that everyone is lined up against?
Some business decisions are no big deal and others are, I guess.

If people don't complain, and I strongly encourage everyone to email TVG, as I do EVERY WEEK, how will they know people do not like their miserable product?

BUt all who are happy to eat the crumbs they thorw out, no skin off mmy nose.

Write and complain regularly. And call. Repeatedly
YOU are the CUSTOMER. Make them hear you.

Now if you are going to complain, that's the way to do it. To them, not here. Maybe they do read this board for ideas, but I would think you might actually have chance at a response by speaking to them directly. The whining on this board on this subject though reminds me of the idiots who write (poorly) to the editorials of local papers thinking the President of the US is actually going to read it. I think TVG could be much better too, but whining here isn't going to do one thing to change it. I will state it again, whining here and doing nothing else proves Finley was right.

OTM Al
09-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Actually, that's an incorrect statement, at least for NJ residents. Regardless of who (NY or NJ) is at fault, it's been almost a year since I could watch NYRA races through the State wagering platform (4njbets). However, they're more than happy to remind me that I can watch the races on HRTV or TVG. :lol: :lol:

All that means is that my wagering dollars head across the Delaware River to Philly Park (oops, Parx) or one of their OTWs.

Sorry dude. Forgot about Jersey. Reminds me no matter how screwed up NY is, it could be worse.

affirmedny
09-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Sorry dude. Forgot about Jersey. Reminds me no matter how screwed up NY is, it could be worse.

That hack from NYRA, Hal Handel, is responsible for this, not anyone from NJ. We got rid of him a long time ago, right before Philadelphia got rid of him. Looking forward to when NYRA gets rid of him.