PDA

View Full Version : Breeders Cup Passes Drug Ban Rule For Trainers

andymays
09-10-2010, 07:29 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/58838/bc-passes-drug-ban-rule-for-trainers

Excerpt:

The board passed a unanimous resolution, effective for 2011, that bans all trainers from competing in the Breeders’ Cup World Championships who have been found in a final determination to be in violation of a racing regulation prohibiting the possession or use of any substance listed under Class 1 of the Association of Racing Commissioners International guidelines at any racing jurisdiction during the 12 months preceding the Championships. Class 1 drugs are stimulants and depressant drugs that have the highest potential to affect performance and have no generally accepted medical use in a racehorse.

Skanoochies
09-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Oh Boy!!! Fourteen five horse fields. :lol: :lol:

Relwob Owner
09-10-2010, 08:29 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/58838/bc-passes-drug-ban-rule-for-trainers

Excerpt:

The board passed a unanimous resolution, effective for 2011, that bans all trainers from competing in the Breeders’ Cup World Championships who have been found in a final determination to be in violation of a racing regulation prohibiting the possession or use of any substance listed under Class 1 of the Association of Racing Commissioners International guidelines at any racing jurisdiction during the 12 months preceding the Championships. Class 1 drugs are stimulants and depressant drugs that have the highest potential to affect performance and have no generally accepted medical use in a racehorse.

owners/trainers seem to be able to get around this the same way they can do now when a trainer is normally suspended....just transfer the horse to an assistant who hasnt been suspended that year and the horse runs in that person's name for the Breeders Cup.....maybe I am missing something but that seems like an easy loophole....yes, the trainer wouldnt get the purse money but I am sure some may have alternative strategies for handling that.....

bane
09-10-2010, 10:31 PM
There goes the sprint.

therussmeister
09-10-2010, 11:15 PM
Time to get my trainer's license, so I can be the trainer of record for ten or twenty Breeder's Cup starters each year.

JohnGalt1
09-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Aren't some jurisdictions stricter in enforcing rules than others?

Since most quality horses come from Ky, NY, and Cal, which area will have the most horses denied entries?

And what would be the out cry if that year's superstar horses's trainer has had a serious infraction?

It would be a great idea if uniform rules were uniformly enforced.

Trotman
09-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Then what they should have added that any transferred horses will be placed in a week long detention barn with any vet work to be done by a commission vet only.

Robert Fischer
09-11-2010, 10:36 AM
A positive anything is better than a negative nothing

Relwob Owner
09-11-2010, 10:53 AM
A positive anything is better than a negative nothing

I agree with you that anything is better....however, it is amazing to me that the people making the rules dont see the loopholes that owners and trainers consistently use to circumvent actual punishment and come up with things to address them.

Trotman
09-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Relwob Owner I have always felt that the horse, trainer, and owner are one entry, that being said the only innocent party is the horse. Therefore if they owner and trainer want to play these drug games then the whole entry gets punished and unfortunately the horse too. If these brains that come up with these bandaid fixes and rules can't figure this out then we are in serious trouble.

CryingForTheHorses
09-11-2010, 11:10 AM
OMG...They have to come up with something better then this!!!..The stiffshirts that sit on these boards,Lots of them dont know the inner working of the backside or they are just plain dumb..What good is this rule when you can transfer any horse into another trainers name...NO Questions Asked.I think that they need to look at this from the early nominations..They shouldnt accept any noms from a trainer who has had positives period!!!...That would certainly tame the field and there would be a lot of horse getting new homes.ALL owners like a trainer that wins..ALL owners never want to give back the money..Fines and slaps on the wrist are making a laughing stock of what I have done for over 30 yrs.Honest trainers hardly ever get a chance.These big trainers that get positives are not looking after his owners interest.Owners that pay thousands every year..The outfit is so big,The trainer lose contact with his horses.The men that made this new rule are Men With Horses..NOT Horseman!!!!

Relwob Owner
09-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Relwob Owner I have always felt that the horse, trainer, and owner are one entry, that being said the only innocent party is the horse. Therefore if they owner and trainer want to play these drug games then the whole entry gets punished and unfortunately the horse too. If these brains that come up with these bandaid fixes and rules can't figure this out then we are in serious trouble.

Yeah, it is a toughie......I feel like tougher, more practical enforcement is what we need but I just never see that happening. Punishing the trainer only just doesnt seem to work, as the horse can always just be transferred to an "assistant" and then back again.....same loophole exists here.

I wish there was a way to punish the owner as well in a way that makes sense but the nefarious ones can always play the "I didnt know" card and it would punish the owners who genuinely dont know their trainer is breaking the rules(a huge minority IMO)...one idea could be that if a trainer blows a test, the owner cant use that trainer again or anyone associated with the trainer(i.e. an assistant).......a tough debatable situation but what I dont think is debatable is that the new "tough" Breeders Cup rules are just as easy to work around as all of the past rules.

Trotman
09-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Tom right on the money :ThmbUp: