PDA

View Full Version : Another little PP discrepancy...

takeout
09-03-2003, 04:08 AM
Don't know if this has been posted about before (I just noticed it) but I saw a horse in the TSN PPs whose only two off track races were on turf but they were also listed in the off track section in the upper right corner where they have the horse's record for Fst, Off, Dis & Trf. I was able to later get a track program for the horse and they had it right in that they had no "off" starts listed for the horse as all of his dirt starts had been on fast tracks.

Noticing these kinds of things from time to time is one of the reasons I'm not too keen on venturing too far from the basic checkable data. I don't normally deal with turf racing and the only reason I noticed this was that the horse only had 8 lifetime starts and it was all right there in front of me. If he had had a lot more starts and his turf races were no longer in his last 10 running lines, I would never have known the difference and he might have looked like a stellar off track performer when in fact all of those races might have been on turf!

Probably just a TSN thing that needs fixing but I've seen enough of this kind of stuff from ALL of the outfits (at one time or another) to be leery of stats, numbers and such that I'm supposed to take for granted.

Tom
09-03-2003, 10:28 PM
That little box with the off track records is worthless. The data in it is grouped together so screwy you cannot use it for anything.
The only way to really evaluate a horse's off track record is to look at his lifetime PPs and see exactly what kind of wet tracks he raced over. And more importantly, what tracks-Sartoga mud and Belmont mud are not the same.

takeout
09-04-2003, 01:37 PM
I rarely use it but do sometimes catch myself looking up there at the distance stat. Probably also a dangerous practice as I've never investigated what all they lump together in terms of distance.