PDA

View Full Version : Friday racing, or lack thereof

Rapid Grey
09-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Thought about heading to Churchill for some simulcast action until I saw what was, or wasn't, on the menu.....no Belmont, no Monmouth. Can't remember a Friday so lacking in a quality racetrack to play.

When will these guys realize that less doesn't always equal more, at least imo.

I guess they think I will choose them over college football tomorrow or the pros on Sunday.

Linny
09-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Holiday Monday forces a slow week all around. NYRA used to re-open Belmont on Friday but has decided to take an extra day this year.

castaway01
09-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Thought about heading to Churchill for some simulcast action until I saw what was, or wasn't, on the menu.....no Belmont, no Monmouth. Can't remember a Friday so lacking in a quality racetrack to play.

When will these guys realize that less doesn't always equal more, at least imo.

I guess they think I will choose them over college football tomorrow or the pros on Sunday.

It's because of the holiday Monday and some quirks in scheduling. Sorry, we need less racing, not more.

Horseplayersbet.com
09-10-2010, 01:55 PM
It's because of the holiday Monday and some quirks in scheduling. Sorry, we need less racing, not more.
We don't need less racing, just a lower takeout across the board. Less racing leads to less horsemen, less jobs, and less ability to grow. It also makes the industry irrelevant when it comes to tax subsidies, and subsidies from other forms of gaming.

Charlie D
09-10-2010, 02:11 PM
We don't need less racing, just a lower takeout across the board. Less racing leads to less horsemen, less jobs, and less ability to grow. It also makes the industry irrelevant when it comes to tax subsidies, and subsidies from other forms of gaming.

Not sure i'd agree here HPB. Over abundance of races must be a contributing factor to small field races that exists. These small fields seem unappealing to players, so they don't take an interest or invest any $$$ in these uncompetitive races.

Racing shoots self in foot comes to mind.

Irish Boy
09-10-2010, 02:29 PM
We don't need less racing, just a lower takeout across the board. Less racing leads to less horsemen, less jobs, and less ability to grow.
That's the point. Less racing means fewer mouths to feed, which means that the sport can be profitable for those that remain. And a more profitable, more streamlined sport will have more ability to grow, not less.

Irish Boy
09-10-2010, 02:33 PM
I should also say that there's too much tendency by all parties to assume that the answer lies in the solution that will cause the least amount of harm to them personally. Lower takeout is probably necessary, and that would benefit players at the expense (at least temporarily) of horsemen and operators. But fewer tracks are needed too, which would benefit the remaining tracks at the expense of bettors and those that get cut.

Tom
09-10-2010, 03:17 PM
An awful lot of trainers and riders out there would be challenged to pack groceries at Piggly Wiggly. We need about half the races we have now.
I see at best 6 tracks racing at any one time - East, West, midwest/south.
4 on days, 2 on nights.

Horseplayersbet.com
09-10-2010, 03:28 PM
I should also say that there's too much tendency by all parties to assume that the answer lies in the solution that will cause the least amount of harm to them personally. Lower takeout is probably necessary, and that would benefit players at the expense (at least temporarily) of horsemen and operators. But fewer tracks are needed too, which would benefit the remaining tracks at the expense of bettors and those that get cut.
Why would lower takeout harm horsemen when in all likelihood the extra money won by horseplayers will be churned back faster than they can put feed in a bucket?

Irish Boy
09-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Why would lower takeout harm horsemen when in all likelihood the extra money won by horseplayers will be churned back faster than they can put feed in a bucket?
It's delusional to think that lower takeout will be fantastic for everyone, and that only bettors have figured this out. Lower takeout will help bettors, and it may even grow the game over the long run, but in the short run the reduction in takeout will mean lower purses, less revenue, etc. If lower takeouts were so superfantastic that they cured every problem and satisfied every party, they would have been done a long time ago.

Once again, not saying that takeout shouldn't be lowered. But this isn't the cure all. In other sectors, when businesses decline, people lose their jobs. Unfortunate, but true. When you talk about tracks closing, though, people start talking about the horse industry like its a gigantic jobs program. It is not, and I'd rather see a few profitable tracks survive with full fields from having withstood competition than see all tracks slowly bleed to death.

JustRalph
09-10-2010, 06:36 PM
An awful lot of trainers and riders out there would be challenged to pack groceries at Piggly Wiggly. We need about half the races we have now.
I see at best 6 tracks racing at any one time - East, West, midwest/south.
4 on days, 2 on nights.

right on target.........I would go for that :ThmbUp:

Horseplayersbet.com
09-10-2010, 07:01 PM
It's delusional to think that lower takeout will be fantastic for everyone, and that only bettors have figured this out. Lower takeout will help bettors, and it may even grow the game over the long run, but in the short run the reduction in takeout will mean lower purses, less revenue, etc. If lower takeouts were so superfantastic that they cured every problem and satisfied every party, they would have been done a long time ago.

Once again, not saying that takeout shouldn't be lowered. But this isn't the cure all. In other sectors, when businesses decline, people lose their jobs. Unfortunate, but true. When you talk about tracks closing, though, people start talking about the horse industry like its a gigantic jobs program. It is not, and I'd rather see a few profitable tracks survive with full fields from having withstood competition than see all tracks slowly bleed to death.
It is delusional to think it won't be good for everyone.
Nowadays though, a bunch of tracks would have to get in on it for it to work effectively.
Tracks have NEVER tried to find the optimal takeout.

If takeout was lowered by every track tomorrow, there would be more jobs come 6 months from now. No bleeding required.

castaway01
09-10-2010, 09:58 PM
right on target.........I would go for that :ThmbUp:

Sounds like a plan...

lamboguy
09-11-2010, 12:06 AM
to tell you the truth, as a handicapper i have done alot better with less tracks than with more. yesterday and today i only played finger lakes and a few harness tracks. i did very well because i was able to focus on only one track. i can handle 2 thoroughbred tracks at a time no problem and on a good day i can take on 3. i can do about 5 harness tracks at once because i am no good at it to start out with and i am only playing younger horses and high rebate tracks. sure i wish that finger lakes was the only track running and the handles would be about tripple in a perfect world. but i found they were less than usual today so it still held back the amount of money i could bet. but i had a great 2 days there so i am not complaining. i am finishing off the night with northlands and hastings. assinoboygo finishes early. i had back to back even money shot winners in both places, and have stayed away from most of the races.

Rapid Grey
09-11-2010, 11:33 AM
I understand about the holiday and all. Here in KY they raced at Ellis on Monday and still got Turfway up an going on Thursday with some pretty decent sized fields.

Most of the guys I see at the track are there everyday. I would imagine this goes for just about every simulcasting venue or OTB throughout the country. To most players they just want the action, be it Tuesday afternoon or Friday night. They like to bet the major tracks though, and given what was available yesterday would have to think many stayed home as well.

If racing heads think that cramming it all into a neat little weekend package is going to work they are sorely mistaken. I work some weekends and on others prefer golf, in the summer, and football in the fall, which leaves some weekdays as my only simulcasting option. I can understand cutting out a Wednesday here or there, but Thursdays and now Fridays and you've gone too far.

Monmouth or Belmont could have cleaned up on handle yesterday as being the best of a bad simulcast product available. When submitting for racing days all they needed to know was that the other major East coast track, and their competition for gambling dollars, wasn't running. As it stands I bet Finger Lakes had one of the their best weekdays of the year.

jballscalls
09-11-2010, 01:12 PM

I picture you going to the doctor and him telling you you have high blood pressure, and your answer being "if they'd lower takeout my pressure would go down."

or at the supermarket arguing takeout with the checkout girl when she charges you $.49 a pound for mangos.

i just love how you put it into every issue! keep up the passion!

"Sir would you like fries with that?.....no i'll have onion rings and a side of lower takeout please"

Horseplayersbet.com
09-11-2010, 07:41 PM
I picture you going to the doctor and him telling you you have high blood pressure, and your answer being "if they'd lower takeout my pressure would go down."

or at the supermarket arguing takeout with the checkout girl when she charges you $.49 a pound for mangos.

i just love how you put it into every issue! keep up the passion!

"Sir would you like fries with that?.....no i'll have onion rings and a side of lower takeout please"
Now you've done it. I'm very hungry right now.