PDA

View Full Version : Open Letter to Dave Schwartz

completebill
09-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Dave--A couple of years ago I made the decision to purchase a "High End" handicapping program. I did extensive research. The choices pretty clearly boiled down to HTR, HSH, and JCapper.
Not only did all three appear to be superior programs, but there seemed to be real consensus in the community of serious handicappers that Jeff, Ken, and yourself were all helpful, open, responsive "stand-up guys"
To be honest, I don't recall why I decided against JCapper. My memory may fail me, but I seem to recall that Jeff was using DRF data, which I felt (and still feel) was inferior to the HDW data.
I e-mailed you MANY TIMES using several e-mail addresses, obtained both in your Forum postings and on your website. I never received a response. I tried phoning you at the number on your website. I have "redial" on my phone, and I am a patient man. Your perpetually busy phone finally did discourage me.
So--I bought HTR--I'm now a delighted (and profitable) HTR user.
BUT--I continue to read your many, many posts, admire your contributions, and recognize the value of your work. I recently desired to purchase your materials on Betting--the abstract and the DVD. I experienced, unfortunately, the same problems. Couldn't order by phone. No response to e-mails.
I'm perplexed. From all that I read it doesn't appear that you are similarly unresponsive to your actual HSH purchasers/users. How they ever got to be users, though is a real mystery to me.
I can only say that Ken Masssa's phone always takes messages, which are promptly returned, and he always provides timely responses to e-mails.
Could it be that you are too busy showing off your considerable knowledge and expertise in your myriad Forum postings to actually attend to business??
It's a shame--I really wanted to buy those betting materials.

JustRalph
09-09-2010, 09:21 PM
You ever heard of a PM?

Dave Schwartz
09-09-2010, 10:52 PM
I am truly sorry you had such a hard time finding us. I mean, seriously, we're in business to sell things, right?

About five months ago we change internet providers which forced us to change our telephone numbers as well.

Just yesterday, thanks to a new customer who saw my new email address (it is in my tag line), he informed me that there was a wrong number on our website. This has been fixed.

My old email - DaveSchwartz@HorseStreet.com - still works, but many people who write to me for the first time wind up in SPAM. (I still get 3,000 SPAMs a day, down from a high of just over 20,000. - This is what happens when you have the same public email address for 14 years or more.)

Just so you know, I have finally hired someone to build me a new website, which will come with a new domain name. It should see the light of day before the Breeder's Cup. It also has a store so that you can order things online.

My new email address is: DaveSchwReno@GMail.com. Unfortunately, I cannot change that on PA because it requires a "hard" email address.

So, again, I apologize for you having to work so hard to find us.

Why don't you do this... Give me a call at 775.853.1234 and identify yourself. Whatever you choose to purchase in the next 30 days will be 50% off for your trouble.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

PaceAdvantage
09-09-2010, 11:19 PM
My new email address is: DaveSchwReno@GMail.com. Unfortunately, I cannot change that on PA because it requires a "hard" email address.You could...all you would have to do is ask nicely... :lol:

bigmack
09-09-2010, 11:27 PM
About five months ago we change internet providers which forced us to change our telephone numbers as well.
Mr. S - You should have been able to port your old number to your new provider prior to changing. Did you explore that option?

Dave Schwartz
09-09-2010, 11:39 PM
Yes, and it would only have meant three short weeks without any telephones at all.

Dave Schwartz
09-09-2010, 11:44 PM
PA,

P-p-p-please?

PaceAdvantage
09-09-2010, 11:52 PM
PA,

P-p-p-please?Done.

bigmack
09-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Yes, and it would only have meant three short weeks without any telephones at all.
When you have a phone number for over a month you own that number. You should have been able to port the number to any number of your choosing, including a cell phone provider, until you had your new ISP in place.

For a business to have to change Ph#'s, that ain't good.

Dave Schwartz
09-10-2010, 01:06 AM
You are preaching to the choir.

The issue was not ownership of the number. The issue was the slowness of the company to act. The previous line was a VOIP that we had ported from AT&T instantly. Going the other way they said it "could take several weeks."

bigmack
09-10-2010, 01:17 AM
The issue was not ownership of the number. The issue was the slowness of the company to act. The previous line was a VOIP that we had ported from AT&T instantly. Going the other way they said it "could take several weeks."
Once you notify them with a notice of intent to change service they only have a few days to release the number. FCC rules.

Porting a number is matter of assignment. Ain't no way any company could defend a position of 'could take several weeks'

Dave Schwartz
09-10-2010, 03:35 AM
I believe that it is 7 business days which translates into as much as 11 days, but then you have to wait for the other company to pick up the number.

Besides, how do you enforce this if they choose not to comply?

completebill
09-10-2010, 04:25 PM
I read Dave's response, which included a gracious apology, and in which he offered me a product discount for my inconvenience. I decided to attempt to contact him to accept his gracious offer.

Dave did indeed answer his phone this time, and we had a very pleasant conversation. Dave kept his word, I made my purchase, and all is well with the world.

I'm pleased to find that Dave's reputation for service and integrity ARE deserved.

Thanks, Dave!!---------Bill

bcgreg
09-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Dave,

You probably already know this but I wanted to post in case you didn't...not a good idea to post your email on bb's intact as the scrapers will add it to their databases.

Regards,
bcgreg

Dave Schwartz
09-12-2010, 11:39 AM
LOL - Yes, but then one is in business to be found.

Catch-22.

Canadian
09-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Dave do you produce anything for harness?

Dave Schwartz
09-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Nothing specifically for harness. The money management stuff can certainly be applied.

Space Monkey
09-18-2010, 04:00 PM
I was reading your post Bill and I was thinking "this isn't the Dave I know". Sorry for the BS you had to put up with Dave, it had to cost you some business.
I was making the same decision as you Bill. I decided to go with HTR too, mostly due to the ease and versatility of its program. Being able to download it and try samples all at no cost was a big factor. I took to it as well as I ever have to any software.
I don't think its possible for any company to have better service than HTR. Ken, Rick and the crew respond faster than anyone could expect. In the few times I dealt with Dave, he too was first rate.