PDA

View Full Version : Perfect example of physicality handicapping

WinterTriangle
09-09-2010, 06:41 AM
Check it out:
http://sidfernando.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/j-ps-gusto-equipped-with-fig-8-nasal-flair-and-tongue-tie/

rusrious
09-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Got the win to, it seems like alot going on with the stuff they use to get these animals to cross the wire, unreal.. Still waiting for Nike to come out with a horse shoe,lol, that would make them even faster,:lol:

lamboguy
09-09-2010, 07:47 AM
how about stickers and turndowns?

Robert Goren
09-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Air Alexandra has nice ring to it.

reckless
09-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Did anyone else notice the 'anti-snoring' ad directly underneath this story?

Product placement for the 21st Century blogosphere, no??

Show Me the Wire
09-09-2010, 01:22 PM
This quote is from the article:

"The purpose of this equipment is to aid in breathing, by keeping the tongue in place underneath the bit and the mouth closed."

Not to make this an RA thread, but when I stated the figure 8 is used to assist breathing problems, I was targeted, by a few posters as being clueless. I guess, now we can all agree the figure eight can be used as an aid to breathing.

Dahoss9698
09-09-2010, 03:40 PM
This quote is from the article:

"The purpose of this equipment is to aid in breathing, by keeping the tongue in place underneath the bit and the mouth closed."

Not to make this an RA thread, but when I stated the figure 8 is used to assist breathing problems, I was targeted, by a few posters as being clueless. I guess, now we can all agree the figure eight can be used as an aid to breathing.

That's not how it went down, but you know that. You were of the opinion that RA had breathing problems and that is why they were using the figure 8. The fact was Asmussen was using the figure 8 on all of his horses whether or not they had a breathing problem. You chose to ignore this. I find it hard to believe every single horse in Asmussen's barn had problems breathing. Don't you?

So essentially you had nothing to back up your opinion. You still don't. But your last sentence says it all. "I guess, now we can all agree the figure eight can be used as an aid to breathing."

Key word is can. No one denied that the figure 8 is used to assist breathing problems in some cases. What people disagreed with was that RA was having breathing problems. Our opinion was based on the fact Asmussen used figure 8's for all of his horses. Yours was based on nothing. Par for the course.

Fastracehorse
09-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Check it out:
http://sidfernando.wordpress.com/2010/09/09/j-ps-gusto-equipped-with-fig-8-nasal-flair-and-tongue-tie/

Alot of horses were wearing the nose bands a few years ago in Cali; they kinda lost of favour.

I don't know if that's a perfect example of 'Physicality Handicapping' however.

I think it's how the horse is going; despite the changes.

It's like when a horse's tail is tied; do U ever notice alot of these runners get up in off going? You can't blindly bet them all but you should pay extra attention.

Alot of times these changes are excuses for the stewards - because a horse improves its form dramatically - like today, 2 horses at AP came 1-2 for a $520 x - the change? - simply top flight jocks on today 1st time.

fffastt

Show Me the Wire
09-09-2010, 08:45 PM
That's not how it went down, but you know that. You were of the opinion that RA had breathing problems and that is why they were using the figure 8. .......... But your last sentence says it all. "I guess, now we can all agree the figure eight can be used as an aid to breathing."

Key word is can. No one denied that the figure 8 is used to assist breathing problems in some cases. What people disagreed with was that RA was having breathing problems. Our opinion was based on the fact Asmussen used figure 8's for all of his horses. Yours was based on nothing. Par for the course.

Speculation is not an opinion,and I was speculating why the equipment was used. That is how it went down.

46zilzal
09-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Bought all of Bonnie Ledbetter's tapes. Talked with, and watched horses in the paddock and post parade with trainers and vets.... and in ALL that time the only true negatives were those horses very agitated on post parade or those obvious walking short.....The rest is guess work.

Dull coated horses win, wrapped horses win, horses with no muscle outlines win, tucked up females win, ...it is only when you KNOW what is normal for a horse that abnormal makes any sense.

Dahoss9698
09-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Speculation is not an opinion,and I was speculating why the equipment was used. That is how it went down.

speculation [ˌspɛkjʊˈleɪʃən]
n 1. the act or an instance of speculating
2. a supposition, theory, or opinion arrived at through speculating
3. (Economics, Accounting & Finance / Stock Exchange) investment involving high risk but also the possibility of high profits

Next....

Cardus
09-09-2010, 09:52 PM

Weak, and unconvincing.

Show Me the Wire
09-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Depends on your dictionary or your thesaurus. My thesaurous does not list opinion, but rather: Conjecture, theory, rumor, assumption, thought supposition, etc. as replacement words.

There is a a literal difference between an opinion and speculation.

I was speculating about another reason why the figure 8 was added, besides for control and teaching her how to rate.

Vast difference between speulating about the "possibility" of wind problems versus stating that an actual opinion wind problems exist.

johnhannibalsmith
09-10-2010, 12:42 PM
...it is only when you KNOW what is normal for a horse that abnormal makes any sense.

Absolutely dead-on correct, in my opinion.

joanied
09-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Winter T...interesting article, thanks for posting it. It is rather amazing that we have so many pieces of equipment for horses...looking through catalogs there are so many different bits and other things it's mind numbing... I think race horses have more equipment items than football players:D ...
I wonder if those nose strips really do help....guess if they did, we' still be using them...I remember even the jocks were wearing them...but, if ya want an edge, this stuff is legal and won't get you a 'positive' :cool:

fmolf
09-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Absolutely dead-on correct, in my opinion.
i also agree totally what is often perceived as lethargy in a horse is often just cool calm confidence!

eastie
09-11-2010, 11:31 AM
i also agree totally what is often perceived as lethargy in a horse is often just cool calm confidence!

I love to see lethargy in some old speed hoss, off the layoff, who gets walked to the gate. They comeout runnin and gunnin , and are 4 in front before you know it.