PDA

View Full Version : Keeneland

Grits
09-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Having loved Keeneland for many years now, spending a great deal of time there, at the races, and early in the morning. Looking at the stakes schedule for opening weekend, October 8th, one can't help but wonder--these guys have sold their soul for big bucks. The buck being Sheikh Mo, and other sheikhs. Granted all have poured money into the sales and have made Keeneland a gazillion dollars wealthier, still . . . . . James Keene's probably spinning in his grave.

http://www.keeneland.com/racing/events/calendar.aspx

With four out of six Grade I races, we now have:

The Darley Alcibaides

The Abu Dhabi First Lady

The President Of The United Arab Emirates Cup

The Juddmonte Spinster

The Darley and the Juddmonte having been named so for some time. Sponsors are necessary, indeed, but this is pathetic for a racetrack so steeped in history, one that heralds their long time "traditions" as so paramount. :faint:

"You got the money; we got the race."

Way to go, Nick, keep those traditions going. Maybe one day we can look forward to a name change:

DUBAI WEST.

horses4courses
09-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Having loved Keeneland for many years now, spending a great deal of time there, at the races, and early in the morning. Looking at the stakes schedule for opening weekend, October 8th, one can't help but wonder--these guys have sold their soul for big bucks. The buck being Sheikh Mo, and other sheikhs. Granted all have poured money into the sales and have made Keeneland a gazillion dollars wealthier, still . . . . . James Keene's probably spinning in his grave.

http://www.keeneland.com/racing/events/calendar.aspx

With four out of six Grade I races, we now have:

The Darley Alcibaides

The Abu Dhabi First Lady

The President Of The United Arab Emirates Cup

The Juddmonte Spinster

The Darley and the Juddmonte having been named so for some time. Sponsors are necessary, indeed, but this is pathetic for a racetrack so steeped in history, one that heralds their long time "traditions" as so paramount. :faint:

"You got the money; we got the race."

Way to go, Nick, keep those traditions going. Maybe one day we can look forward to a name change:

DUBAI WEST.

So which irritates you the most, Grits?
The fact that they commercialize these races, or that the sponsors are Arabs?

Grits
09-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Gotta be gone all day, I'll just let you guys mull it over. Maybe it just bothers me to see my country sold so easily . . . . sponsorship or not.

serp
09-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Maybe they should name more of them after Toyota. Anything non-arab right?

Robert Goren
09-08-2010, 09:48 AM
When you cut to the chase, this is trading the name of a horse race for some oil. It sounds like a good deal for us. I also like the idea of selling them over priced unraced horses.

nearco
09-08-2010, 10:01 AM
Interesting you listed the Arab sponsored races, but made no mention of the following sponsored races.

JPMorgan Chase Jessamine

Buffalo Trace Franklin County

Rood & Riddle Dowager

Lexus Raven Run

Dixiana Breeders’ Futurity

Coolmore Lexington

Toyota Bluegrass

The Prez of the UAE Cup wouldn't be the first race named after a foreign head of state either..... Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup has been around for a while now, and she doesn't even pay to sponsor that race either..... cheap ass biatch.

Robert Fischer
09-08-2010, 10:05 AM
free market.

FenceBored
09-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Maybe they should name more of them after Toyota. Anything non-arab right?

:rolleyes: Oh, you've got us all figured out haven't you. I'm sure nobody would object to the prospect of the "Prime Minister of Canada Stakes" at a US track.

nearco
09-08-2010, 10:08 AM
:rolleyes: Oh, you've got us all figured out haven't you. I'm sure nobody would object to the prospect of the "Prime Minister of Canada Stakes" at a US track.

There's already a race at Lexington named after the Canadian head of state.

Fingal
09-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Just because a race is sponsored by someone doesn't mean you have to call it that. The Pacific Classic at Del Mar still had a $1 million purse because of being sponsored by TVG & Betfair, otherwise it would have been reduced. Unless you were in some form of media where you had to use the full title, it was just the Pacific Classic.

The Ky Derby is sponsored by Yum Brands. But to the majority of people it's still just the Ky Derby.

Black Ruby
09-08-2010, 11:24 AM
so do you bet on races where your wager has a chance of becoming part of a purse being won by Godolphin or Darley?

JustRalph
09-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Very interesting observation grits

Payback to their largest patrons

How any free thinking woman with half a brain could not be anti Arab is a mystery to me

Especially in today's world

It's funny how rights for women that are so hallowed here in the u.s. Suddenly end at the Border of The united states

In the name of multi culturalism all things are possible

FenceBored
09-08-2010, 12:08 PM
There's already a race at Lexington named after the Canadian head of state.

There's a race named for an individual, personally, who also happens to be the Canadian head of state, not a race named for the title of the Canadian head of government. Slight difference.

BluegrassProf
09-08-2010, 04:34 PM
:lol:

Selling the country by way of race renaming?! Devious devils!!

What's next, the Death to America Stakes and the Middle Easterners Are All Alike Classic?! I demand prompt [preferably militaristic] action!!

*insert squinty-eyed glance around the room for nefarious Dubaian infiltration*

(Please excuse me while I streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetch.... :ThmbUp: )

bane
09-08-2010, 06:37 PM
No issue with Bourbon Distellery backed races, almost feels natural. :)

Honestly, I'd rather hear a race sponsered by an alochol company than a farm. Still wish Budweiser was a major sponser of racing events.

joanied
09-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Interesting you listed the Arab sponsored races, but made no mention of the following sponsored races.

JPMorgan Chase Jessamine

Rood & Riddle Dowager

Lexus Raven Run

Coolmore Lexington

Toyota Bluegrass

The Prez of the UAE Cup wouldn't be the first race named after a foreign head of state either..... Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup has been around for a while now, and she doesn't even pay to sponsor that race either..... cheap ass biatch.

I don't know why...but, nearco...that is hilarious...I'm still laughing:lol:
Made my day:ThmbUp:

Grits
09-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Nearco, there was a reason I included the link--that being so one could go and read all the stakes races as they are listed. ( I don't just type for my health--shortcuts when I've got more pressing things to do sometimes are necessary.)

Its odd that graded races in New York, Florida, Louisana, Arkansas, New Jersey, and California haven't been renamed--not to any great extent anyway, here and there possibly, but not to this extent.

I don't see that anyone has been able today to produce any others-though Breeders' Cup races weren't mentioned. I am aware of those.

I'm sorry for seeming so blatantly politically incorrect. I guess its OK to raise a ruckus about TVG being on jockey's britches, and YUM BRANDS being plastered all over anything Kentucky Derby--that's all ok. Its cool. But one better not say anything about selling one's soul to those lining one's pockets in the deepest manner of speaking. And too, Ralph, you're right, no successful woman I know would be thrilled by this relationship--honestly, it should fly in one's face. As you indicate--women are not even treated as second class citizens in this region of the world.

I like my country and I like our retaining ownership of the majority of what's in it. Quite honestly, I'd probably have the same disappointment were it any country.

(Opinion stated, done now. Thanks, guys, for reading.):ThmbUp:

Originally posted by Just Ralph Very interesting observation grits

Payback to their largest patrons

How any free thinking woman with half a brain could not be anti Arab is a mystery to me

It's funny how rights for women that are so hallowed here in the u.s. Suddenly end at the Border of The united states

In the name of multi culturalism all things are possible

JPMorgan Chase Jessamine

Rood & Riddle Dowager

Lexus Raven Run

Coolmore Lexington

Toyota Bluegrass

bks
09-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Ralph wrote:

Ralph, did it ever occur to you that if "free thinking" women have reason to be 'anti Arab', then so would every free thinking person? Or do free thinkers have to be women to despise sexism?

At least no one will ever suspect you of being "free thinking".

And PA: is it now acceptable to insult an entire group of people without comment from the moderators here?

Tom
09-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I agree with Grits and Ralph.
I refuse to use ANY sponsor name - the track can be whores if they want to, I just won't cooperate.

JustRalph
09-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Ralph, did it ever occur to you that if "free thinking" women have reason to be 'anti Arab', then so would every free thinking person? Or do free thinkers have to be women to despise sexism?

At least no one will ever suspect you of being "free thinking".

And PA: is it now acceptable to insult an entire group of people without comment from the moderators here?

The poster/starting the thread was a women.......so I was addressing her thoughts in the thread. That's why I chose the phrase "any woman" and not anybody. Yep, you caught me. I am not a free thinker.

Grits is entitled to her opine and I happen to see her point clearly. She brought up some "food for thought" and I commented on her possible reasoning. It's called a conversation. You had your say, and you flew off the handle.......get over it.

thespaah
09-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Pretty good insight by Grits on this one.
I will not refer to these events by their sponsor names.

PaceAdvantage
09-08-2010, 11:37 PM
And PA: is it now acceptable to insult an entire group of people without comment from the moderators here?I'm just getting to this thread now...sorry I also work for a living...

But feel free to form some more conspiracy theories in your head...

As this thread has veered into something other than racing, I'll simply close it now, and apologize to bks for my lack of moderating skills... :rolleyes: