PDA

View Full Version : Computer Maintenance

Tom
09-01-2003, 08:52 PM
Read something about "defragging" here a few weeks ago so I thought I'd check it out. Seems I hadn'te "defragged" in 377 days, so I started it and went to lunch. Heh,heh. Needed a little bit longer than that - try about 7 hours! That coupled with delting and then cleaning out the trash can of something like 6,000 odd .txt files and .tmp files and my OLD computer is humming again. Speed is probably about 4-5 times faster than yesterday.
BIG difference. Oh yeah, AdAware cleaned out 76 new spy-files, too.
Amazing what your machine can do when you take care of it.

Zaf
09-01-2003, 09:10 PM
I better try this before I go to sleep tonight, haven't defragged since Feb. 2002. :eek: Hope it will be done before I wake up in the morning.

ZAFONIC

Dick Schmidt
09-02-2003, 03:25 AM
Tom and all,

If you are serious about keeping your computer tuned up, I would suggest an aftermarket defragger. They are much better than the one supplied with Windows. I use Diskkeeper, which costs about $30 and runs about 4 times faster than the Windows defragger. When you install it, it replaces the original defragger. I set it to run every night, right after I have my virus checker set to download updates and run. This all happens in the middle of the night so I don't have to sit and watch it. Once you are defragged, it only takes about 2 or 3 minutes to keep it that way.

I also run Ad-Aware at least once a day, and have yet to have a "clean" run. It always finds a spybot or two, sometimes as many as a dozen after an hour's surfing. If you keep these cleaned out, your internet connection will run much faster.

Dick

IRISHLADSTABLE
09-02-2003, 08:34 AM
HI GUYS,
THKS YOU THE INFORMATION . MY SYSTEM HAS BEEN SO SLOWWWWWWWW OF LATE . IT WAS SLOW PRIOR TO THE BLACKOUT AND WORSE SINCE . I'LL TRY THE DISKKEEPER

THKS

JIMMY / ILS

P.S. SORRY I MISSED MEETING SOME OF YOU . I HAD TO CUT MY TRIP SHORT BECAUSE OF MY SON'S HEALTH PROBLEMS .

TOM HOW WAS THE CHOWDER ???????DID YOU MEET THE CHOWDER MAN ???????

Tom
09-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the tip, Dick-will try it out.

Jimmy-chowder was superb, as was the company. Not only was it good chowder, it was free! Dave bought it for me!
Sorry I miised you.

so.cal.fan
09-03-2003, 08:39 PM
Thanks for all the tips everyone, special thanks to Dick S. for helping me with my ad-aware.....I found 180 bugs!
For people like me, who know NOTHING about my computer, you guys are the best!