PDA

View Full Version : Technology......ain't it grand?

Tom
09-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Over the years, with all the technological advances, I would have though by now I would be using trakus-type data PPs, making cutting edge pace and speed decisions, watching races on my Dick Tracy wrist watch.

But, here I sit today, waiting for Yavapai's double with Save the Last Dance For Me playing over the odds and paddock video. Woo Hoo!:rolleyes:

DeanT
09-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Horse racing is a little slow.

But we are betting over the internet Tom! Sometimes I think the call to the stewards is still being done with string and dixie cups tho.

We'll get there someday. I think other businesses are using technological advancement to grow their base. In our sport, it seems all technological advancement is done to try and simply charge us for it.

Player: "I would love to see this horses lifetime past performances for this race in the click of a mouse!"

Racing dude: "Sure, that'll be $8 please."

johnhannibalsmith
09-08-2010, 01:08 AM
...But, here I sit today, waiting for Yavapai's double...

Did you hit?

If so, I want a detailed explanation of how it was done.

:D

thaskalos
09-08-2010, 02:21 AM
Horse racing is a little slow.

But we are betting over the internet Tom! Sometimes I think the call to the stewards is still being done with string and dixie cups tho.

We'll get there someday. I think other businesses are using technological advancement to grow their base. In our sport, it seems all technological advancement is done to try and simply charge us for it.

Player: "I would love to see this horses lifetime past performances for this race in the click of a mouse!"

Racing dude: "Sure, that'll be $8 please."I don't think we will ever get there Dean. Horse racing will never enter the 21st century, as far as handicapping is concerned...or at least not for another 100 years.

toddbowker
09-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Found this today for a blog post ... a little outsiders perspective on technology ... :)

itn8TwFCO4M

46zilzal
09-08-2010, 11:36 AM
It is the front office that has the penny pinchers. My boss tells me that there are any number of great technological innovations to present more relevant data to the racing public, but so far only Woodbine has latched on to them and our company covers the visuals to about all the major tracks in this country.

Robert Goren
09-08-2010, 12:52 PM
I don't think we will ever get there Dean. Horse racing will never enter the 21st century, as far as handicapping is concerned...or at least not for another 100 years.They would have to enter the 20th century first.

DeanT
09-08-2010, 12:59 PM
They would have to enter the 20th century first.

Every successful biz has a revolution. The stock market was revolutionized by $5 trades on a computer that used to cost $300 by calling your broker. Telephone long distance service was revolutionized by deregulation and cell phones. Garage sales were revolutionized by Ebay. Chatting at your local pub was revolutionized by Facebook.

We are still betting in the about the same system that was created in 1908, and still look for ways to market the live racing experience which was at its peak sometime in the 1930's.

If someone does come in who has used technology and new delivery systems to expand the sports reach (eg Betfair and others), we stop them at the door.