PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Linux Netbook to a Win Network

PeteKoch
09-07-2010, 10:34 AM
My desktop runs Win XP SP3 with Internet access via a cable modem, to which I hooked up a Netgear Wireless G router. I set up a home network and easily connected a laptop running Win7 to it.

I plan to purchase a netbook with WiFi capability (still undecided on the make/model) and install Linux on it. I downloaded Ubuntu, burned a bootable CD and booted my desktop from the CD. Surfing the net in this environment (using Firefox), the difference in speed was eye-opening. So on the netbook, I want to run Linux. No question. I'll add an external USB CD/DVD drive for recovery purposes.

Unfortunately, I have a big development investment in VB and Excel VBA, and I use an Excel (Win only, no Mac, no Linux) add-in, all of which require the Windows API to function. I use these for financial research. Open Office won't cut it. I also have another very odd need for IE (again related to the API), so my desktop will remain a Windows machine. However, I do plan to make Firefox my primary browser on the desktop and launch IE for that one oddball case.

My main concern, though, is connecting a netbook running Linux (probably Ubuntu) to my home network. Easy? Tricky? Impossible (nah)? Info on known issues would be appreciated, as would links to relevant documentation.

Dave Schwartz
09-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Samba.

PeteKoch
09-07-2010, 11:36 AM
And it's included with Ubuntu.

Thanks, Dave.

serp
09-07-2010, 11:55 AM
In Ubuntu, if you click the Places menu then choose Network your windows shares on your local network should show up. Once you go into the share you want you can then Bookmark it and it'll show up directly in the Places menu then.

JustRalph
09-07-2010, 01:39 PM
If you really want to keep things completely separate.....which some people do.... you could buy a Netbook with Windows on it and install ubuntu on it. It will setup a dual boot scenario where you can boot the netbook in either operating system ..... I do it with one of my laptops and it works great.

BillW
09-07-2010, 02:58 PM
I've used SAMBA running on my workstn for quite a while with no problems. I've also installed Linux on my laptop and dual booted ... Linux will mount dos partitions without a problem.

michiken
09-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Another option is to format the drive completly with Linux (so you don't have to reboot all the time):

- Install the open source version of Virtualbox (http://www.virtualbox.org/). You can then install any other OS as a virtual machine - DOS, Win95, Solaris etc.

- Virtualbox will store the information as a folder that automatically resizes itself to the OS file usage.

Remember to read the virtualbox documentation.