PDA

View Full Version : Troubled past week for Asmussen

Grits
09-07-2010, 08:40 AM
They say trouble comes in threes; for Steve, yes it did.

This is a difficult sport.

http://www.drf.com/news/leg-fracture-puts-majesticperfections-career-jeopardy

"Asmussen declined comment Sunday morning."

(Just read down and this is duplicating of an earlier thread. DRF article speaks more to Steve A's entire week, but remove if needed guys.)

Mineshaft
09-07-2010, 08:55 AM
i feel for him...

yea right....

skate
09-07-2010, 05:51 PM
yeh, not good but he's got a ton of them still running.

joanied
09-07-2010, 05:59 PM
I feel for the horses involved, and even for Sanan, but I cannot summon up any sympathy for Steve A., sorry 'bout that.

BluegrassProf
09-07-2010, 06:19 PM
I feel for the horses involved, and even for Sanan, but I cannot summon up any sympathy for Steve A., sorry 'bout that.Classy. :ThmbUp:

joanied
09-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Classy. :ThmbUp:

Sometimes the truth hurts.

BluegrassProf
09-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Sometimes the truth hurts.And sometimes, it shows a shocking disconnect between that constructed "truth" and the actual reality of keeping and training horses at this level, from trainers themselves right on down to walkers.

But hey, you go ahead with that "mean ol' robber baron trainer" construction if it's all ya gots. Good for you. :ThmbUp:

Remind me: how well do you know Steve? More importantly, how well do you know the folks that work with him and with his horses? Thick as thieves, I betcha...must be...

Good grief. So sad.

WinterTriangle
09-07-2010, 08:08 PM
blue, my take on J's reply is that, having worked the backside, she has knowledge of the kind of trainers she likes and dislikes.

In that sense, it may not be necessary to know a trainer personally, but when you're in the industry, I expect that people get to know who the system-trainers are, the in-out trainers, big-barn trainers, whatever.......and of course, everyone is going to have their PREFERENCE.

I only know Joanied's taste in trainers based on what she has written on the forum over time, and I know she has a great deal of reverence for some, and for others, not so much.

It's just her opinion. To which of course, she is entitled. :)

We may dislike some of the trainers she holds in high esteem.

I know the ones I like, and there are only about 10. That number would probably be higher if I knew more about some of the other ones.

I'm of the small is beautiful philosophy, so the big operations sort of elude me, since I know the "trainer of record" isn't the one doing most of the training themselves in many cases, but are under direction/guidance. Not sure I can be for or against them, in that case, you know?

Joanie wouldn't be the first person, or the last, to not prefer Steve in her top 10. I'd like to ask him a few questions myself, such as why rachel wasn't given pasture time during her layoff. (That one just sorta sticks with me and I'm sure there was a reason, but it still makes no sense to me at all because I can't come up with one).

I'm sure SA is more than capable, he wouldn't be where he is otherwise. But that doesn't mean people must like him, his methods, or even his outcomes, even if they are successful "by the numbers".

It's not like she directly wished bad things to happen or harm on him. She just said she wasn't sympathetic. Those are 2 different things. If it was the first, I'd blast her. But she's not that kind of person, actually. :)

Grits
09-07-2010, 08:48 PM
And sometimes, it shows a shocking disconnect between that constructed "truth" and the actual reality of keeping and training horses at this level, from trainers themselves right on down to walkers.

But hey, you go ahead with that "mean ol' robber baron trainer" construction if it's all ya gots. Good for you. :ThmbUp:

Remind me: how well do you know Steve? More importantly, how well do you know the folks that work with him and with his horses? Thick as thieves, I betcha...must be...

Good grief. So sad.

Bgp, I really didn't create the thread for the purpose of a slur towards Asmussen, or to feel sorry for him. Its simply been a crummy week for the guy and for his owners and his staff. I don't care at what level one trains, this would be difficult for any barn. I'm glad you understood.

joanied
09-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Winter Triangle explained my view pretty well...

bluegrass...no, I don't know him or any of his people personally, but you already knew that...the man has so many horses under his care, it would be impossible for him to form any kind of attachment to most of them...and you feel sympathy towards a trainer that has a smaller operation and is actually hands on with all his horses...Steve has his assistants, so he needs not be personally involved with every horse he has in his care...which is fine...I sure as hell don't wish him any heartbreaks, and as I mentioned, I feel for these particular horses and their owners...and I sure as hell didn't say anything bad about the man...you're "mean ol' robber baron' coment is way off and rather insulting, as again, I said nothing mean about Steve A...I simply cannot find much sympathy for him when a horse of his is lost due to injury...
now, if his horses were burned alive in a barn fire, my sympathies would go deep and be sincere...but to feel sorry for him because a few of his horses got hurt...sorry, bluegrass, just can't do that.

Saratoga_Mike
09-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Winter Triangle explained my view pretty well...

bluegrass...no, I don't know him or any of his people personally, but you already knew that...the man has so many horses under his care, it would be impossible for him to form any kind of attachment to most of them...and you feel sympathy towards a trainer that has a smaller operation and is actually hands on with all his horses...Steve has his assistants, so he needs not be personally involved with every horse he has in his care...which is fine...I sure as hell don't wish him any heartbreaks, and as I mentioned, I feel for these particular horses and their owners...and I sure as hell didn't say anything bad about the man...you're "mean ol' robber baron' coment is way off and rather insulting, as again, I said nothing mean about Steve A...I simply cannot find much sympathy for him when a horse of his is lost due to injury...
now, if his horses were burned alive in a barn fire, my sympathies would go deep and be sincere...but to feel sorry for him because a few of his horses got hurt...sorry, bluegrass, just can't do that.

I'm surprised by your position on this Joanied. You show compassion for lots of horses that you've never trained, which I applaud. Given your remote location, you've probably even bonded with horses that you've never seen in person. In Asmussen's case, he sees each horse about once or twice per week, at least that was his schedule a few yrs ago. I would never question your sincere compassion for horses that you've never seen. And I don't think we should question Asmuessen's connection or lack thereof (unless you have some first-hand info) with his horses. Hopefully I'm not misreading your sentiment.

joanied
09-08-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm surprised by your position on this Joanied. You show compassion for lots of horses that you've never trained, which I applaud. Given your remote location, you've probably even bonded with horses that you've never seen in person. In Asmussen's case, he sees each horse about once or twice per week, at least that was his schedule a few yrs ago. I would never question your sincere compassion for horses that you've never seen. And I don't think we should question Asmuessen's connection or lack thereof (unless you have some first-hand info) with his horses. Hopefully I'm not misreading your sentiment.

Goodness...first of all, it looks like I was not the only one to say he isn't feeling sorry for Assmussen...but for some reason, I'm singled out here...sorry I even posted, to tell ya the truth...
you are right, Mike, I have tons od compassion, and yes, I have 'bonded' with many horses i do not know...fact is, I can get pretty damned emotional about almost anything that is horses...especially our TB's...and fact is, I have been called 'touchy feely' often enough here that I sometimes think twice about how I post when it comes to empassioned topics...

but, come on...what did I say that's so awful...if Blugrass hadn't posted his one word reply, we wouldn't be having this conversation...and why didn't bluegrass reply to Mineshaft's post as he did mine?
Did I say anything like...oh, goody, Assmussen had a bad week....no, I did not...did I say, hey, I don't care for Assmussen, so I could care less about his bad week...no, I did not...I said absolutley nothing about the man!!

Now when Odysseus died, I felt sincerely sorry for Assmussen, the owner and all the barn help...that was a very, very sad thing to happen...

but, for me to feel sympathy because two of his horses were retired due to injury, and that Rachel lost her race...come on, now...give me a break...why on earth are we making a huge deal out of me saying I don't feel sorry for Assmussen because he had a bad week :bang:

Saratoga_Mike
09-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Goodness...first of all, it looks like I was not the only one to say he isn't feeling sorry for Assmussen...but for some reason, I'm singled out here...sorry I even posted, to tell ya the truth...
you are right, Mike, I have tons od compassion, and yes, I have 'bonded' with many horses i do not know...fact is, I can get pretty damned emotional about almost anything that is horses...especially our TB's...and fact is, I have been called 'touchy feely' often enough here that I sometimes think twice about how I post when it comes to empassioned topics...

but, come on...what did I say that's so awful...if Blugrass hadn't posted his one word reply, we wouldn't be having this conversation...and why didn't bluegrass reply to Mineshaft's post as he did mine?
Did I say anything like...oh, goody, Assmussen had a bad week....no, I did not...did I say, hey, I don't care for Assmussen, so I could care less about his bad week...no, I did not...I said absolutley nothing about the man!!

Now when Odysseus died, I felt sincerely sorry for Assmussen, the owner and all the barn help...that was a very, very sad thing to happen...

but, for me to feel sympathy because two of his horses were retired due to injury, and that Rachel lost her race...come on, now...give me a break...why on earth are we making a huge deal out of me saying I don't feel sorry for Assmussen because he had a bad week :bang:

Was just surprised by your reaction - didn't mean to single you out and no offense meant at all.

joanied
09-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Was just surprised by your reaction - didn't mean to single you out and no offense meant at all.

Well, that's Ok, Mike...no offense taken:) ...guess I felt I needed to clarify my position once again...and to repeat myself once again...had Assmussen lost any horses to death, my heart would go out to him and the barn...but to sympathize over two injured horses and a lost race...I think even you would think that is a stretch.

Anyway...I'm fine with your reply and fine with where I stand on this...you have a good one, Mike.

skate
09-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Bgp, I really didn't create the thread for the purpose of a slur towards Asmussen, or to feel sorry for him. Its simply been a crummy week for the guy and for his owners and his staff. I don't care at what level one trains, this would be difficult for any barn. I'm glad you understood.

makes sense to me