PDA

View Full Version : gold and silver markets

lamboguy
09-06-2010, 09:30 AM
right now it looks like there are some big buyers in the silver market. as many might know, j.p. morgan chase are big shorters of silver. rumor has it that they are almost all covered with their short position. that might be true but i think there is some big buyer in the market right now. i watched the market makers buy 658 contracts of silver in the last minute of the market on friday.

during the clinton era the economy ran on a strong dollar policy. in order to keep interest rates low and dollar strong the governmnet had to supress the price of gold and not let it go up, supposedly the central banks of the world have 30 million tons of gold in reserve.there is talk that those inventories are now cut in half. that would leave very little ammo in the tank left to keep the price of gold cheap for years to come.

this is the fundemental reason why i think gold and silver become less cheap than it is now. technically anyone that looks at charts can see how strong gold is right now.

happy labor day

Valuist
09-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Supposedly there's about 200,000 tons of silver in the earth right now. The problem is about 20,000 tons are mined each year. And that's assuming China doesn't increase its demand.

It should also be pointed out that solar panels need silver for conductivity. There will be major supply issues in the near future......just another reason solar is a bad technology.

Robert Goren
09-06-2010, 02:02 PM
There have been runs on silver markets before. It amazing how much silver shows up when the price get out of line. If you get bored sometime, do little online research on the Hunt brothers and their attempt to corner the silver market.

lamboguy
09-06-2010, 03:15 PM
There have been runs on silver markets before. It amazing how much silver shows up when the price get out of line. If you get bored sometime, do little online research on the Hunt brothers and their attempt to corner the silver market.i know the man that liquidated the hunt brothers positions in the silver market, a fellow by the name of james sinclair. he is probably the most knowledgable man alive concerning central banks and their positions in the gold market.

skate
09-06-2010, 03:21 PM
i know the man that liquidated the hunt brothers positions in the silver market, a fellow by the name of james sinclair. he is probably the most knowledgable man alive concerning central banks and their positions in the gold market.

What's he sayin?

Valuist
09-07-2010, 12:41 AM
Yes the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market 30 years ago but there was no shortages then, and China wasn't hording commodities like they are now.

lamboguy
09-07-2010, 07:31 AM
when the hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market they did with futures contracts. the government told them to back down, the hunt brothers wouldn't. the government came in and and upped the margin requirements on the silver futures contract and wiped them out in about 6 seconds. this is not happening today, i suspect who ever is buying silver today is or are alot bigger than the hunt brothers!

Robert Goren
09-07-2010, 08:55 AM
When the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market, companies buying up silver objects pop up all over the place. People were selling their old silver heirlooms and jewelry. They were selling their childhood coin collections of "junk" silver coins. It was an amazing time. I have looked around on the internet and have not really found anything to explain silver prices today, but I suspect that we will find out soon someone or someplace is behind it. Secrets can't be kept very long in this day and age. Gold prices on the other hand can be traced to buying by India. You tell me how much gold India is going to buy today and I will tell you tonight's price. Although there are companies out there buying gold objects today, I doubt they will have the impact that the silvers buyers had. There is not that much gold out there compared to silver out there when the Hunts were doing their buying. There was a lot of silverware and silver tea servers out there then.

Robert Goren
09-07-2010, 08:59 AM
when the hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market they did with futures contracts. the government told them to back down, the hunt brothers wouldn't. the government came in and and upped the margin requirements on the silver futures contract and wiped them out in about 6 seconds. this is not happening today, i suspect who ever is buying silver today is or are alot bigger than the hunt brothers! So do I. It almost has be to a larger country.

lamboguy
09-07-2010, 10:16 AM
When the Hunt brothers tried to corner the silver market, companies buying up silver objects pop up all over the place. People were selling their old silver heirlooms and jewelry. They were selling their childhood coin collections of "junk" silver coins. It was an amazing time. I have looked around on the internet and have not really found anything to explain silver prices today, but I suspect that we will find out soon someone or someplace is behind it. Secrets can't be kept very long in this day and age. Gold prices on the other hand can be traced to buying by India. You tell me how much gold India is going to buy today and I will tell you tonight's price. Although there are companies out there buying gold objects today, I doubt they will have the impact that the silvers buyers had. There is not that much gold out there compared to silver out there when the Hunts were doing their buying. There was a lot of silverware and silver tea servers out there then.as far as india buying gold, they always buy gold to manufacture jewelry this time of year, its just a question of how much they buy. but no matter how much they buy it is just a drop in the bucket compared to central banks buying or unloading, and that leads us back to the chineese. they are behind all the large price moves in gold these days. if they eventually decouple the yuan away from the dollar gold will rise $500 in about 6 seconds flat. also the interest rates in this country will rise like grant took richmond.
no one really knows what the chineese are doing is because their goal has always been to be the supreme power in the world. one can see that they can never get that strong militarily, but financialy is a different story. they might wind up owning everthing down the road some day. they are currently in a bitter fight for a fetilizer company called potash. it will be interesting to see how this plays out.