PDA

View Full Version : Secretariat movie review.

tzipi
09-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Jerry Bossert of the Daily News said in his column today that he saw an advanced screening of the new movie Secretariat. He said for anyone who doesn't know anything about the sport or Secretriat, it'll be good. He said for those who are familiar with the sport and Secretariat, you'll be disappointed. He said the movie is the typical Disney movie, hokey with good prevailing over evil.

So I'm guessing Disney changed around most of what really happened. I'm thinking they made Sham a nasty horse and the connections "bad" people. Wish Bossert went into the review more. Don't know what was wrong with the original story. :confused:

letswastemoney
09-05-2010, 01:04 PM
There wasn't much plot to the original story.

Woman from rich background got a nice horse and the horse dominated.

blind squirrel
09-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Yeah,hardly "Rags to Riches story"...Riva Ridge had won the Derby
the year before....Rich lady next year has "Horse of the
Century!"...but if ya love racing,who wouldn't have wanted
to own "Big Red" ;)

beertapper
09-05-2010, 02:05 PM
yeah, been hearing the same thing...

ho-hum kinda movie..

john henry would be a much better story, call it against all odds

eastie
09-05-2010, 03:08 PM
the Alydar movie would have more plot twists than a Hitchcock movie

46zilzal
09-05-2010, 03:38 PM
There wasn't much plot to the original story.

Woman from rich background got a nice horse and the horse dominated.

Come on, a horse with the family jewels riding on it, is RED, and makes his first start in WHITE and BLUE silks on July 4th with the patriarch of the family on his death bed while the relatively "inexperienced daughter" risks family pressure to liquidate? That is the true story and it sounds made up.

You need to read up on reality before spouting ignorance like this.

tribecaagent
09-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Jerry Bossert of the Daily News said in his column today that he saw an advanced screening of the new movie Secretariat. He said for anyone who doesn't know anything about the sport or Secretriat, it'll be good. He said for those who are familiar with the sport and Secretariat, you'll be disappointed. He said the movie is the typical Disney movie, hokey with good prevailing over evil.

So I'm guessing Disney changed around most of what really happened. I'm thinking they made Sham a nasty horse and the connections "bad" people. Wish Bossert went into the review more. Don't know what was wrong with the original story. :confused:

Thanks tzipi, but I wouldn't trust Bossert's review on Elle Macpherson.

Dahoss9698
09-05-2010, 04:07 PM
You need to read up on reality before spouting ignorance like this.

Pot meet kettle

Lasix67
09-05-2010, 04:08 PM
They filmed most of the movie right across the highway from my business at the old Evangeline Downs which is now a training facility. It was cool to see them putting up the props of Churchill, etc....

46zilzal
09-05-2010, 04:15 PM
They filmed most of the movie right across the highway from my business at the old Evangeline Downs which is now a training facility. It was cool to see them putting up the props of Churchill, etc....
Did not realize that a new track was built away from the old LOOOSIANNA course.....

I really like that track: big fields, competitive and even a grass course

Tom
09-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Living through the Spring of Secretariat, it was a big deal.
And we had very limited access to races back then.

46zilzal
09-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Living through the Spring of Secretariat, it was a big deal.
And we had very limited access to races back then.
I was a GGF and listened to his Belmont on a small radio....almost was knocked over with people trying to push up closer to hear.

tzipi
09-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks tzipi, but I wouldn't trust Bossert's review on Elle Macpherson.

Well I think from what people wrote, they have Sham winning the Wood Memorial. Angel Light won the Wood Memorial. They might paint Sham and his connectons in a bad light to make it "better". I dont know though. Can only go by reviews. Maybe him saying "disappointed" is because they changed around alot. Nothing new in Hollywood though.

tzipi
09-05-2010, 05:46 PM
the Alydar movie would have more plot twists than a Hitchcock movie

:D . Would be a great movie for racing fans.

Robert Goren
09-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Well I think from what people wrote, they have Sham winning the Wood Memorial. Angel Light won the Wood Memorial. They might paint Sham and his connectons in a bad light to make it "better". I dont know though. Can only go by reviews. Maybe him saying "disappointed" is because they changed around alot. Nothing new in Hollywood though.Movie makers have never let the facts get in the way of a story line.

bisket
09-05-2010, 06:10 PM

there actually may be some truth to sham's connections being "the bad guys". although probably not in the context of this movie. the barn's demise was similar to ernie paragallo's farm in new york.

keithw84
09-05-2010, 06:19 PM
I never saw the Ruffian movie. Did they stay pretty true to the facts?

bigmack
09-05-2010, 06:22 PM
UKmuvjL2cVw

tzipi
09-05-2010, 06:46 PM
I never saw the Ruffian movie. Did they stay pretty true to the facts?

You could tell the tracks were not the same tracks she ran at, but I do remember it basically being the same story, races and winners. Good movie by ESPN IMO.

beertapper
09-05-2010, 08:19 PM
too much disney syrup

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2010/September/03/Review-Disneys-Secretariat-is-no-documentary.aspx

Settling in their seats for a special September 2 screening of the upcoming Walt Disney Co. motion picture Secretariat, due for an October 8 nationwide release, audience members in Saratoga Springs, New York, were reminded that the film was not a documentary, but your regular average movie.

In that sense, Secretariat did not disappoint. It was not bad, and it was not great—it was merely a regular, average movie.

Unfairly or not, Secretariat will likely draw comparisons to the Academy Award-nominated Seabiscuit, a movie that like the best-selling novel on which it was based explored the depth of characters and went to great effort to achieve the realism overlooked in previous horse racing movies.

Instead, Secretariat is more closely related to other Disney films such as Miracle and The Rookie, which take remarkable real-life events and add a splash of poetic license for additional dramatic effect.

trackrat59
09-05-2010, 08:34 PM
It's clearly very Disney but at least we can say, here comes a new movie out about horse racing. Works for me. :ThmbUp:

classhandicapper
09-05-2010, 08:36 PM
The trailer looked good enough to get me off the sofa. ;)

tzipi
09-05-2010, 08:41 PM
too much disney syrup

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2010/September/03/Review-Disneys-Secretariat-is-no-documentary.aspx

"Secretariat relieves himself on the feet of a reporter who dared question his stamina". That's a little toom much. C'mon Disney.

And whats with Secretariat running on synthetics in the movie! :D

Grits
09-05-2010, 08:49 PM
It's clearly very Disney but at least we can say, here comes a new movie out about horse racing. Works for me. :ThmbUp:

Indeed!!!:ThmbUp: Given they're quite few and far between.

beertapper
09-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Indeed!!!:ThmbUp: Given they're quite few and far between.

yeah and that's why i'm really looking forward to HBO Luck...

banacek
09-05-2010, 08:58 PM
I like Diane Lane and John Malcovich, so I'm hoping it's ok.

And although I really enjoyed Seabiscuit, it certainly has its Disney moments like the last race where Georgie is chatting with Red 20 lengths behind the leaders...not quite the way the actual race ran. But other than Secretariat's Belmont:) , perhaps people enjoy a horse coming from last more.

qey045iro58

Lasix67
09-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Did not realize that a new track was built away from the old LOOOSIANNA course.....

I really like that track: big fields, competitive and even a grass course

Yes, the old track was located in Carencro, just north of Lafayette and was closed due to the fact Lafayette parish voted down slots and video poker at which time a new racino was built about 12 miles north in Opelousas where I-49 and Highway 190 intersect. Great facility with slots and yes a turf course that was put in a couple of years ago.

saratoga guy
09-05-2010, 11:03 PM
I, too, was at the Saratoga screening Thursday night. I agree with Bossert that racing fans might be disappointed. I disagree with Bossert in thinking that non-racing fans might like it. I don't think there's enough punch to the story to pull anyone in.

My review: http://www.equidaily.com/bestbet/opinion/2010/secretrv.html

I was hoping that it would be a fun movie - certainly the trailer that came out earlier had me thinking there was some real potential. But it was TV movie level entertainment.

There have, however, been positive opinions expressed:

NY Post: "Disney may have a winner in Secretariat. Two back-to-back Hamptons screenings..."
http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/equine_epic_brye6SqNoX68lWAk7LNmRI

LA Times: "Horse racing fans will cherish the movie."
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/09/secretariat-movie-will-invoke-special-memories-for-everyone.html

My prediction - it will have a movie theater shelf-life of about two weeks...

appistappis
09-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Unlike many of my childhood heroes, Secretariat never let me down....watching his last race in the cold and almost dark woodbine is still one of my greatest memories. How could a movie of HIM possibly be bad???

trackrat59
09-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Unlike many of my childhood heroes, Secretariat never let me down....watching his last race in the cold and almost dark woodbine is still one of my greatest memories. How could a movie of HIM possibly be bad???

Great point. :ThmbUp: I know that I'll go to see it the first day it's showing in my area. I'm sure I'll see it a few times no matter what. After all, it's about HIM.

FantasticDan
09-06-2010, 12:27 PM
My prediction - it will have a movie theater shelf-life of about two weeks...
I'm inclined to agree, but then I looked up the box office results of Seabiscuit.. an opening weekend of over $20M, and went on to make a very respectable $120M in domestic sales. Of course that film had a "hot off Spider-man" Tobey Maquire driving it, whereas this film has little starpower.

If the film opens at $15M and makes $70M overall I'll be very surprised. I expect a pretty dull response from audiences.

joanied
09-06-2010, 12:38 PM
I had started a thread about the review from the Saratoga screening...and I posted the link to the Saratoga review...
I think veryone knew from the first day that this was going to be a DISNEY movie...so we have to take the 'corn' as best we can...even Seabiscuit has it's corny moments...especially when they lead you to beleive Seabiscuit would get off he train at town stops and stand with the crowds...silly $hit like that really bugs me, but, that's just me...
and I don't like that they have Sham winning the Whiteny...and that there's a scene with Big Red & Sham eyeballing each other in the gate...and Penny gazes into Big Red's eyes and he suddenly realizes how great he is ro some such nonsense...and the scene with him peeing on the foot of a reporter...whos' idea was that...pretty good trick too unless that reporter is standing with his foot under the horse:bang: :faint: ...
I think it's not going to have the run that Seabiscuit did...but once it's available to rent...I have no doubt it'll be an extremely popular rental movie...
I plan on buying a DVD to keep...and I really won't pay too much attention to the critics...
I'll decide when I see it and I hope like hell it turns out to be a popular movie coast to coast...it IS a horse race movie...and that is a very good thing...fact is, there are so many great race stories that can be made into movies...let's hope this one will lead to another...

someone mentioned the HBO mini series 'Luck'...I really can't wait for that one...

I am sooooo looking foward to seeing Secretariat...regardless of the corn, synthetic surface, peeing on a reporters foot, the fact they're using a 6' tall actor to play tiny Lucien, that Sham & his connections are the 'bad guys', that Sham wins the Whitney, that they have Penny at home watching the Preakness on TV...
I still can't wait:jump: :jump: :jump:

comet52
09-06-2010, 12:44 PM
I honestly felt Sea Biscuit was 2 hours of Hollywood sap though the real story is a great tale. I don't think this could do any worse. At least horse racing is being kept alive in some small way by someone making a movie about it.

And others are right - don't expect historical accuracy. After recently reading a carefully researched bio on Al Capone and how he was finally taken down ("Get Capone" by Jonathan Eig) one realizes that the Kevin Costner movie was almost entirely made up. Not that I'm surprised or upset at poetic license, but the degree to which that particular movie was fictionalized is about 95%.

tzipi
09-06-2010, 06:46 PM
How could a movie of HIM possibly be bad???

I agree, but when Disney shows him lifting his leg or whatever to urinate on a reporters foot. That's JUST BAD! :mad: C'mon Disney.

sonnyp
09-06-2010, 07:15 PM
I agree, but when Disney shows him lifting his leg or whatever to urinate on a reporters foot. That's JUST BAD! :mad: C'mon Disney.

c'mon you guys......you want your cake and eat it too. you want people to be exposed to horse racing and learn to love it and when somebody risks a lot of money to makea full length feature with stuff to interest a novice audience you complain.

what do you want, "secretariat, the documentary"? my little one loved "stripes"... some nonsense about a zebra turned racehorse, but he loved it and watched it over and over. all of a sudden he starts asking me questions about horse racing.

you can't take a beginner and try to give them them advanced horse racing that might appeal to those on this board.

tzipi
09-06-2010, 10:57 PM
c'mon you guys......you want your cake and eat it too. you want people to be exposed to horse racing and learn to love it and when somebody risks a lot of money to makea full length feature with stuff to interest a novice audience you complain.

what do you want, "secretariat, the documentary"? my little one loved "stripes"... some nonsense about a zebra turned racehorse, but he loved it and watched it over and over. all of a sudden he starts asking me questions about horse racing.

you can't take a beginner and try to give them them advanced horse racing that might appeal to those on this board.

"Can't take a beginner and try to give them an advanced horse racing movie" Yeah, Seasicuit was very "advanced" and look how that did. Very well.

Well anyway, I don't know what that post above was all about but ook. I just said Disney showing Secretariat peeing on the foot of a reporter who makes fun of his stamina is a bit overboard. "You want people to be exposed to horse racing but you complain". Yes of course movies about the sport are great but:
#1 people or reviewers were just pointing out the difference between real life and Disney. That's all. Didn't see ONE person say don't go see it!

#2 What's with the whole this "will show people racing"? Seabiscuit was huge and that did what for racing? How many movies came out about car racing. Did people run out and all buy street cars and then go to street car shows?? People are commenting on a movie about a horse most saw run in the sport and who is part of its history, not a fictional movie("racing stripes") about a zebra who wants to become a race horse.

All I saw was reactions to a review by a horse racing columinst I posted. If people think they should stay true to the actual events as an opinon,then what's wrong with that? Again, saw no one here telling people to stay away from the movie.

Linny
09-07-2010, 12:44 AM
there actually may be some truth to sham's connections being "the bad guys". although probably not in the context of this movie. the barn's demise was similar to ernie paragallo's farm in new york.

Sham was owned by Sigmund Sommer and trained by Hall of Famer Frank Martin. They are hardly Paragallo et al.

I had dinner with several people who have seen the movie and none liked it. Secretariat is portrayed snorting at the very sight of Sham (who just happened to be hanging around when Sec was arriving for the Derby) and even more strangely, I am told he peed on Andy Beyer!

After the Wood Turcotte is shown sitting in his silks, saddle in hand for several hours brooding over the loss. Later Penny comes by to apologize for reaming him out over losing. She tells Ron of the abcess. Bill Heller who wrote a book about Ron told me that he (Ron) didn't know about the abcess until he was in KY. That's a loooooong time to sit on a bench in silks, brooding.

BluegrassProf
09-07-2010, 01:01 AM
...one realizes that the Kevin Costner movie was almost entirely made up. Not that I'm surprised or upset at poetic license, but the degree to which that particular movie was fictionalized is about 95%.Yes indeed...it's shocking just how much pop culture has inflated that keystone kop Ness. Guy couldn't catch a cold if he tried.

I am told he peed on Andy Beyer!Hey, it was bound to happen eventually.

;)

WinterTriangle
09-07-2010, 03:01 AM

Exactly how I feel.

A movie about a racehorse, and one that everyone can admire. Might get people to see what there is to "see" about why horse racing fans go ga-ga over certain racehorses.....

46, loved your red white blue on July 4th observation.

WinterTriangle
09-07-2010, 03:14 AM
("racing stripes") about a zebra who wants to become a race horse..

Children's movies are so good. I enjoyed that one a lot.

I have no problem with "theatrics" like Secretariat snorting at his rival. Movies anthropromorphize animals, it's what makes people like them. In Racing Stripes, the little Zebra, as he's running down the stretch and can't go any further, suddenly hears the drums and singing of his homeland in Africa, and it perks him up and he gets into gear. LOL It was charming.

I mean, how do we *know* what Secretariat thought or felt? We don't know enough about the emotions of animals although a lot is being written about the fact that they do have them.

I just squirted wormer down all my big dog's throats today, and had to do it 3 days in a row.......and they are not looking at me right now. They are pissed.

tucker6
09-07-2010, 06:32 AM
After the Wood Turcotte is shown sitting in his silks, saddle in hand for several hours brooding over the loss. Later Penny comes by to apologize for reaming him out over losing. She tells Ron of the abcess. Bill Heller who wrote a book about Ron told me that he (Ron) didn't know about the abcess until he was in KY. That's a loooooong time to sit on a bench in silks, brooding.
I would imagine a jockey would be none too happy to know right after a race that the connections knew of an illness and thought not to tell him before the race, but just after. Doesn't make logical sense if making money is the goal to save the farm.

tzipi
09-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Children's movies are so good. I enjoyed that one a lot.

I have no problem with "theatrics" like Secretariat snorting at his rival. Movies anthropromorphize animals, it's what makes people like them. In Racing Stripes, the little Zebra, as he's running down the stretch and can't go any further, suddenly hears the drums and singing of his homeland in Africa, and it perks him up and he gets into gear. LOL It was charming.

I mean, how do we *know* what Secretariat thought or felt? We don't know enough about the emotions of animals although a lot is being written about the fact that they do have them.

I just squirted wormer down all my big dog's throats today, and had to do it 3 days in a row.......and they are not looking at me right now. They are pissed.

I haven't even seen it but I will go when it comes out. All I said was Disney SHOWING SECRETARIAT PEEING ON A REPORTER who makes fun of him is a bit ridiculous. I did post a review of the movie by Jerry Bossert. Those were his words, not mine. It was just info on the movie coming up.
You right, childrens movies are great. No arguement. But whats a childrens fictional movie have to do with a movie about Secretariat? The only thing reviewers are saying is the movie will not be like Seabiscuit. It's very Disney with alot of things changed and added. I think ALOT of people thought this was going to be another Seabiscuit and the reviewers are saying its not. That's all. Their words.

thaskalos
09-07-2010, 05:06 PM
You right, childrens movies are great. No arguement. But whats a childrens fictional movie have to do with a movie about Secretariat? ALL movies are largely fictional...even the ones that purport not to be.

They only have to be "loosely" based on real events...

bisket
09-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Sham was owned by Sigmund Sommer and trained by Hall of Famer Frank Martin. They are hardly Paragallo et al.

I had dinner with several people who have seen the movie and none liked it. Secretariat is portrayed snorting at the very sight of Sham (who just happened to be hanging around when Sec was arriving for the Derby) and even more strangely, I am told he peed on Andy Beyer!

um... sommer's farm was found in similar shape as paragallo's farm at the end of their run.

joanied
09-07-2010, 05:55 PM
I would imagine a jockey would be none too happy to know right after a race that the connections knew of an illness and thought not to tell him before the race, but just after. Doesn't make logical sense if making money is the goal to save the farm.

IMO, not letting Ronnie know about the abcess was criminal...Lucien claimed he didn't tell him because he didn't want to lower his confidence in the horse...when Ron worked him, he couldn't understand why Secretariat was tossing his head and not at all comfortable...IF Lucien had told Ronnie, he would have made adjustments...and all that is just a reflection of all the stress & tensions in that barn during Secretariat's time there.

tzipi
09-07-2010, 06:05 PM
ALL movies are largely fictional...even the ones that purport not to be.

They only have to be "loosely" based on real events...

Wasn't the point. It's like talking about Disneys Angels In the Outfield when people are giving their opinion on Eight Men Out or Pride of the Yankees. Was Seabiscuit or Phar Lap laregly fictional?

Again don't know why all the fuss. All I said was Disney having Secretariat piss all over a reporter is well a bit ridiculous. :D If you think I'm wrong and that's cool to have in the movie. Ok that's your opinion. Enjoy.

joanied
09-07-2010, 06:17 PM
Wasn't the point. It's like talking about Disneys Angels In the Outfield when people are giving their opinion on Eight Men Out or Pride of the Yankees. Was Seabiscuit or Phar Lap laregly fictional?

Again don't know why all the fuss. All I said was Disney having Secretariat piss all over a reporter is well a bit ridiculous. :D If you think I'm wrong and that's cool to have in the movie. Ok that's your opinion. Enjoy.

I can forgive Disney for changing things, after all, they ARE Disney...we expect it, but,tzipi...I agree with you...the colt peeing on someone's foot, although probably meant to be funny, is also, IMO, over the top...rather ridiculous:ThmbDown: ...but, ya know, I really look foward to that scene...it'll be a good trick for the horse to pull off, unless this guy is standing underneath him:faint:

tzipi
09-07-2010, 06:37 PM
I can forgive Disney for changing things, after all, they ARE Disney...we expect it, but,tzipi...I agree with you...the colt peeing on someone's foot, although probably meant to be funny, is also, IMO, over the top...rather ridiculous:ThmbDown: ...but, ya know, I really look foward to that scene...it'll be a good trick for the horse to pull off, unless this guy is standing underneath him:faint:

Even though its Disney, I will surely still go see it. Yeah where is this guy standing that Sec can pee on him or his legs whatever? :D

saratoga guy
09-07-2010, 06:51 PM
I'm inclined to agree, but then I looked up the box office results of Seabiscuit.. an opening weekend of over $20M, and went on to make a very respectable $120M in domestic sales.

Unfortunately this ain't no Seabiscuit. That one had a budget of over $80mil - this one, as best as I can find, was less than half of that [and a producer was quoted as essentially verifying that when discussing the budget, "It's not as much as 'Seabiscuit' — not nearly as much."]

Some folks in the thread want to give it a pass just because it's a racing movie, and hey, as a racing fan I went in hoping for something special - and I still hope it proves me wrong and does well.

But I stand by my assumption that it will last about two weeks in the theaters. It's mildly entertaining at best - and it isn't just the racing gaffes. If the movie is strong enough it can overcome those. This movie isn't that strong.

But, I'll be interested to read what other people have to say after it opens next month...

WinterTriangle
09-07-2010, 07:49 PM
All I said was Disney SHOWING SECRETARIAT PEEING ON A REPORTER who makes fun of him is a bit ridiculous.

And I did not disagree with ya. :)

The only thing reviewers are saying is the movie will not be like Seabiscuit. It's very Disney

I'm a reader. I can barely attend a movie based on a book.

So I'm used to being disappointed.

It would have been great if some independent filmmaker, like KEN BURNS, because he uses a lot of good archival material to make his documentaries.

I guess the "give away" term here is that it's called the Secretariat MOVIE. Right there, you already know you ain't gettin' anything close to a documentary. :) Movie means Hollywood, and ...well, you know.

But I have in mind to write to a few documentary filmmakers and ask if they have considered a good horseracing documentary.....not just one horse but perhaps spanning a few decades and highlighting the best stuff, matches, etc. If I had the $$ I'd love to produce something like that.

tzipi
09-07-2010, 09:34 PM
And I did not disagree with ya. :)

I'm a reader. I can barely attend a movie based on a book.

So I'm used to being disappointed.

It would have been great if some independent filmmaker, like KEN BURNS, because he uses a lot of good archival material to make his documentaries.

I guess the "give away" term here is that it's called the Secretariat MOVIE. Right there, you already know you ain't gettin' anything close to a documentary. :) Movie means Hollywood, and ...well, you know.

But I have in mind to write to a few documentary filmmakers and ask if they have considered a good horseracing documentary.....not just one horse but perhaps spanning a few decades and highlighting the best stuff, matches, etc. If I had the $$ I'd love to produce something like that.
:ThmbUp:

Well your book to movie comment is right on. Always tough to watch a movie after reading the book. No I agree it's not a documentary film but I am surprised that didn't shoot at Belmont or Saratoga. No Belmont for the Belmont stakes? They shot at Evangeline Downs :eek: :eek: Along with Churchill and Keeneland.

Jasonm921
09-07-2010, 11:50 PM
On a plus side I'm sure espn will be replaying their sport century documentary of secretariat around the release of the movie so have friends tune into that.

Stillriledup
09-08-2010, 04:28 AM
Maybe they can have Trevor the clown's fake racecalls like they did in the tv show jockeys.

PaceAdvantage
11-16-2010, 09:47 PM
There's another thread asking what your favorite racing movie is...I'll tell you what movie will not be my favorite...Secretariat.

Just saw it (yeah, I'm a procrastinator)...and for the life of me, I can't understand how it garnered ANY positive reviews. And am I to believe there was actually a little Oscar-buzz for Diane Lane's performance? That can't be true, can it?

Forget about the blatantly faulty backdrops and scenery, with the Belmont clearly taking place at Keeneland. The acting itself was borderline and the character development seemed so shallow to me...I know it's a Disney movie, but it's not like Disney can't afford to throw some money around.

To be totally honest, Secretariat, the movie, seemed about a 1/2 step above a made-for-TV presentation. Hell, the racing scenes on the recently aired Mentalist TV drama seemed better executed than some of the scenes in Secretariat.

This horse was an absolute monster...one of the best there ever was, and at no time does that come across to the viewer in any natural fashion. The only time I got chills watching this movie was the head-on shot of the starting gate for the Kentucky Derby, which was accompanied by nothing but absolute silence right before the gates sprung open...I thought that was excellent. The other semi-spine tingling moment was when they had that shot down the stretch as Big Red was about to turn for home in the Belmont Stakes. But even then that was ruined as they showed Big Red bearing out and weaving a bit down the stretch in the head-on shot...

There was so much done wrong for the Belmont Stakes shoot itself, the most electrifying and amazing race EVER recorded, that I can't even continue putting it into words.

To conclude, I am not even panning this movie for its technical inaccuracies. Forget about those for a moment. I am panning it mostly for the acting, the storyline and the general herky-jerky flow of the movie.

Secretariat, the racehorse, deserves so much better from a movie bearing his immortal name.

slewis
11-17-2010, 12:38 AM
...I know it's a Disney movie, but it's not like Disney can't afford to throw some money around.

Even the left wing movie studios aint spendin' like usual under this administrations unfriendly business climate. :rolleyes:

And couldn't they spring for a better looking Secretariat? He had the stride of a $5000 claimer at Pen Nat.

joanied
11-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Even the left wing movie studios aint spendin' like usual under this administrations unfriendly business climate. :rolleyes:

And couldn't they spring for a better looking Secretariat? He had the stride of a $5000 claimer at Pen Nat.

After all the reviews, I went in knowing I was going to be at least somewhat disappointed...but was looking fowrad to the race scenes, since they said it would be like being there...NOT:ThmbDown: ...I agree with you, Slewis, the horse(s) they picked to play him were so average, of course it'd be awful tough to come up with one that really looked like him, but none of the horse actors had any charisma...and the race scenes were not that good, IMO...they didn't seem to be really rolling along, I don't know how to explain it...they were never all out...ya, know?

I thought the acting was terrible, even from Diane Lane & Malkovich...and I don't know why there was all this talk about the acting job the jock that played Ronnie did was so great...he really didn't do anything much, sit on a bench, with his saddle, covered in mud and looking dejected....
and why did they show jocks walking around in silks in the damned barn...what was that:bang: ...they could have salvaged the entire movie with the Belmont Stakes scene...I expected goosebumps, but was yet again, bummed...it just did not capture the grandeur of that race or the horse...
I'll tell ya when I did get emotional...at the end before the credits when they showed Lucien and Eddie...when I saw Eddie, I choked up and the tears came.

I'll buy the DVD when it comes out, just to have it in my collection of race movies, but IMO, they coulda made a better HBO movie about Secretariat...2 years waiting for it's release, and I was nothing less than disappointed.

BluegrassProf
11-17-2010, 09:27 PM
PA/Joni: Yikes...couldn't agree more. Low expectations did little to soften the blow. :faint:

Pace, your comments are surprisingly similar to some I just made to a very good friend, particularly the whole "tv-movie" thing: I thought the film about a half-step from broadcast on Lifetime. The scene of Penny in the shed giving the whole "never gon' give up!" speech was excruciating.

Seemed like they put about 97% of their creative energy and foresight into the first 60 seconds of the film, then just said, "meh, let's just get through it."

So much splendor tossed aside. What a shame.

Valuist
09-16-2011, 09:47 AM
There's another thread asking what your favorite racing movie is...I'll tell you what movie will not be my favorite...Secretariat.

Just saw it (yeah, I'm a procrastinator)...and for the life of me, I can't understand how it garnered ANY positive reviews. And am I to believe there was actually a little Oscar-buzz for Diane Lane's performance? That can't be true, can it?

Forget about the blatantly faulty backdrops and scenery, with the Belmont clearly taking place at Keeneland. The acting itself was borderline and the character development seemed so shallow to me...I know it's a Disney movie, but it's not like Disney can't afford to throw some money around.

To be totally honest, Secretariat, the movie, seemed about a 1/2 step above a made-for-TV presentation. Hell, the racing scenes on the recently aired Mentalist TV drama seemed better executed than some of the scenes in Secretariat.

This horse was an absolute monster...one of the best there ever was, and at no time does that come across to the viewer in any natural fashion. The only time I got chills watching this movie was the head-on shot of the starting gate for the Kentucky Derby, which was accompanied by nothing but absolute silence right before the gates sprung open...I thought that was excellent. The other semi-spine tingling moment was when they had that shot down the stretch as Big Red was about to turn for home in the Belmont Stakes. But even then that was ruined as they showed Big Red bearing out and weaving a bit down the stretch in the head-on shot...

There was so much done wrong for the Belmont Stakes shoot itself, the most electrifying and amazing race EVER recorded, that I can't even continue putting it into words.

To conclude, I am not even panning this movie for its technical inaccuracies. Forget about those for a moment. I am panning it mostly for the acting, the storyline and the general herky-jerky flow of the movie.

Secretariat, the racehorse, deserves so much better from a movie bearing his immortal name.

And you thought you were a procrastinator? I just saw it the other night.

Why do they have to play so fast and loose with the facts? I guess we will have to wait until Secretariat 2 comes out to see his upset at the hands of Onion.

Tom
09-16-2011, 10:05 AM
I saw it a few weeks ago - happened to see it while surfing late night.
OK, it was Secretariat, so I liked it for that, but give me a break....I was around for the Big Red experience and that movie wasn't it. I suppose it that group makes one about Custer, he will end up winning.

classhandicapper
09-16-2011, 12:21 PM
I must be the only horse player in the world that enjoyed it. I didn't think some of the liberties taken with some of the details of the real story changed the basic story of a great horse all that much. It wasn't a great movie, but Disney wasn't trying to make an all time great movie with a gigantic budget because they'd lose a fortune on it if they did.

I get the feeling that if in the movie they said he earned a Beyer figure of 135 for the Belmont when it was really a 139 (according to Beyer's last estimate) that something as insignificant as that to the masses would have caused an uproar on a handicapping forum. :lol:

JustRalph
09-16-2011, 04:49 PM
I liked it. But really didn't like the way they changed some of the facts.

But over all a "B"

duncan04
09-16-2011, 05:15 PM
I must be the only horse player in the world that enjoyed it. I didn't think some of the liberties taken with some of the details of the real story changed the basic story of a great horse all that much. It wasn't a great movie, but Disney wasn't trying to make an all time great movie with a gigantic budget because they'd lose a fortune on it if they did.

I get the feeling that if in the movie they said he earned a Beyer figure of 135 for the Belmont when it was really a 139 (according to Beyer's last estimate) that something as insignificant as that to the masses would have caused an uproar on a handicapping forum. :lol:

i enjoyed it. They wanted a movie everyone could enjoy, not just hardcore racefans. So if they didnt get it exactally right its ok. Anything to get horseracing in a positive light and expose more people to it.

Stillriledup
09-16-2011, 06:00 PM
I liked it. But really didn't like the way they changed some of the facts.

But over all a "B"

That's why they say BASED on a true story. Same thing with the upcoming movie Moneyball. The posters all around town say used the word BASED.

That gives them leeway to 'twist' stuff to make it more 'entertaining'.

Its kind of how the NBA (remember them) has their refs try their hardest to get the more 'popular' teams thru to the later rounds of the playoffs over a 'generic' team who might not be as entertaining or appealing to the casual viewer.

Its the same idea.

otis0930
09-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Should have been titled "The Penny Chenery Story"