PDA

View Full Version : no books at gamblers book shop

nalley0710
09-04-2010, 04:34 AM
There are almost no books on dog, harness, or thoroughbred racing at Gamblers Book Shop. That really scary. Thank god I am a good trader and sports bettor. Looks like they slimmed down all their offerings when I looked closer.

Overlay
09-04-2010, 05:33 AM
Their website inventory of thoroughbred handicapping titles appears unchanged (at least for now).

http://www.gamblersbook.com/home.php?cat=1186

(I don't know why, but their website has one category for "Horse & Dog Racing" (the "Thoroughbreds" subsection there has only eleven titles, most of them not related to handicapping), and another separate category for "Thoroughbreds", with 169 titles. The "Thoroughbreds" category is where the bulk of their handicapping books are located.)

Fingal
09-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Couldn't even get on the site Sunday. :confused:

Overlay
09-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Maybe GBS has the site down to make the same changes reflected by the in-store inventory (although I hope not).

Overlay
09-06-2010, 03:10 PM
The site is back up, with no readily discernible changes, as far as I could tell.

Turkoman
09-07-2010, 08:43 AM
There are almost no books on dog, harness, or thoroughbred racing at Gamblers Book Shop. That really scary. Thank god I am a good trader and sports bettor. Looks like they slimmed down all their offerings when I looked closer.

From 2004-2006 I visited Las Vegas 4 times, and stopped by the store each time. In fact, I purchased some books on a couple of occasions. They had tons of books at the time. That's why it feels weird to hear they have almost no books right now.

Turkoman

Tom
09-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Walking into that old back room was like waking up on Christmas morning as a kid.

Turkoman
09-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Walking into that old back room was like waking up on Christmas morning as a kid.

Oh yeah. You mean where they had all those used books?

CincyHorseplayer
09-07-2010, 07:39 PM
It's a trend that is sweeping all book stores.There is literally nothing here in Cincy.Amazon.com is where I get all my juice.Not touting it PA.Just sayin.

Turkoman
09-07-2010, 10:46 PM
It's a trend that is sweeping all book stores.There is literally nothing here in Cincy.Amazon.com is where I get all my juice.Not touting it PA.Just sayin.

I guess if horse racing is a declining business, then the material and information about it will not sell either. I'm sure there are tons of books out there on how to win at the slots, because it's what most people want these days.

Turkoman

David-LV
09-13-2010, 01:13 AM

Not true, I was there on Friday at The Gamblers Book Store and they have all the books that they always had including a new back room with used old titles.

I think you have your stores mixed up.

The Gamblers General Store on Main Street is getting rid of their books and are mostly selling gambling paraphernalia.

The Gamblers Book Store is located at its new location on Eastern Ave. near Russell Road and as far as I can tell it is business as usual with tons of books on dog, harness, thoroughbred, poker, and sports betting.

Handiman
10-08-2010, 01:39 AM
I was there today and I was very disappointed. Not anything like the old store. But as someone said, the internet has changed things a lot. That and Howard has semi retired and doesn't go to the store much anymore.

Today will be my last visit to the store. Just isn't the same.

Handi:mad: