PDA

View Full Version : Wiped out a bike

Valuist
09-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Been riding for 3 years now and today I wiped out the bike......was fortunate to come away with cuts and bruises. Was literally less than 1 block from my house and pulled around a curve to see a car coming straight at me in my lane. The driver apparently thought she was driving in the UK. I swerve and narrowly miss her car but the momentum was too much and the bike and I go down to the concrete.

I have to admit I'm more and more paranoid in this day of car drivers. The cell phones and makeup appliers are bad enough but in this day of texting, the quality of driving is at an all time low.

While I was fortunate to come away ok physically, the bike took the damage and will go to the shop for extensive repair. And sure enough, the woman never did apologize.

boxcar
09-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Been riding for 3 years now and today I wiped out the bike......was fortunate to come away with cuts and bruises. Was literally less than 1 block from my house and pulled around a curve to see a car coming straight at me in my lane. The driver apparently thought she was driving in the UK. I swerve and narrowly miss her car but the momentum was too much and the bike and I go down to the concrete.

I have to admit I'm more and more paranoid in this day of car drivers. The cell phones and makeup appliers are bad enough but in this day of texting, the quality of driving is at an all time low.

While I was fortunate to come away ok physically, the bike took the damage and will go to the shop for extensive repair. And sure enough, the woman never did apologize.

Been there, done that. I know what it feels like. Thank the Lord above you came out of it alive.

Did the woman stop? Was she charged with the accident?

Boxcar

Valuist
09-03-2010, 10:55 PM
She did stop (and was subsequently ticketed) but her only concern seemed to be how it would affect her insurance. After all, we can only imagine the outlandish insurance costs for her 1999 Toyota Solara. By the end, she was trying to tell the officer it was my fault. What a bi-atch.

plainolebill
09-04-2010, 12:34 AM
Motorcycle or bicycle? I quit riding both because of age and prostate problems. My town is heaven for bicyles, bike paths/lanes everywhere and so many on the road that people are watching for them. Only problem is the weather, it's summertime only except for the rabid few.

Glad you're not hurt.

ElKabong
09-04-2010, 12:51 AM
i used to ride my bike (cycling) 200 + miles a week in summer, 80 miles a week in winter..Raced uscf 20 yrs ago, then morphed over to recreational.....haven't been in the saddle for 5 yrs, the traffic is very dangerous now. Valuist brought up a great point about cell phone users/ driving. Can't tell you how many times these types almost ran me over, or my group.

Valuist
09-04-2010, 01:03 AM
Motorcycle or bicycle? I quit riding both because of age and prostate problems. My town is heaven for bicyles, bike paths/lanes everywhere and so many on the road that people are watching for them. Only problem is the weather, it's summertime only except for the rabid few.

Glad you're not hurt.

Thx. This was a motorcycle.

El Kabong- Its never been more dangerous than now. The cell phones are bad enough but texting is way worse. I have heard that drunk driving is about 5 times safer than a texting driver. My fear is I will be stopped, and someone will come up from behind, texting or not paying attention, and hit me head on. In a car, I may survive with bad whiplash. On a motorcycle, I will be killed.

Robert Goren
09-04-2010, 03:54 AM
You could not get me near a motorcycle. They have always been very dangerous, but these days they are a death trap. I have known 6 people who have been killed on one including an uncle. None of them was at fault for the accident, but that doesn't make them any less dead. Please sell the bike. If not for yourself, then for those who love you. Besides horse racing needs your handle.;)

bigmack
09-04-2010, 04:03 AM
Val - In the very least you's OK. In my bike ridin' days I found my fellow vehicular travelers oftentimes unaware of my whereabouts. I relied on my instinct & reactions. If memory serves, I was a lunatic.

All the best & delighted to hear you walked away unscathed.

Pace Cap'n
09-04-2010, 06:33 AM
If you are riding along and you push on the right handlebar, which direction will the bike go?

Let's Roll
09-04-2010, 06:56 AM
If you are riding along and you push on the right handlebar, which direction will the bike go?Not a rider but I think the answer is right, that's called counter steering, no?

JBmadera
09-04-2010, 08:07 AM
i used to ride my bike (cycling) 200 + miles a week in summer, 80 miles a week in winter..Raced uscf 20 yrs ago, then morphed over to recreational.....haven't been in the saddle for 5 yrs, the traffic is very dangerous now. Valuist brought up a great point about cell phone users/ driving. Can't tell you how many times these types almost ran me over, or my group.

just hung up my uscf license, topped out as a cat II, one too many wrecks plus replacing carbon frames and dr bills started taking a toll on the old bankroll (need more $$$ for the horses).

Valuist
09-04-2010, 08:31 AM
You could not get me near a motorcycle. They have always been very dangerous, but these days they are a death trap. I have known 6 people who have been killed on one including an uncle. None of them was at fault for the accident, but that doesn't make them any less dead. Please sell the bike. If not for yourself, then for those who love you. Besides horse racing needs your handle.;)

Robert-

Sorry to hear about your uncle. And I cannot disagree w/anything you said. While there are some crazy motorcycle riders, the biggest danger is the cars and/or trucks that don't see you. What I find most disconcerting is this was on my street, which one wouldn't think could possibly be dangerous; little traffic and no other outlet. But you get a car who fails to back out far enough, they straighten out and accelerate and presto, they are driving on the left side of the road. If an accident can happen there, it can happen anywhere.

Grits
09-04-2010, 08:43 AM
She did stop (and was subsequently ticketed) but her only concern seemed to be how it would affect her insurance. After all, we can only imagine the outlandish insurance costs for her 1999 Toyota Solara. By the end, she was trying to tell the officer it was my fault. What a bi-atch.

Valuist . . . . your motorcycle's worth far more than her 11 year old car. She should've shown concern and been grateful you were unhurt.

Humanity can be so fleeting when one's found to still have a pulse.:rolleyes:

My former spouse rode for years. He loved 'em. Dirt and street. A woman ran a stoplight one afternoon, missing him by inches. He came home and told me, "no more" . . . . he sold it in less than two weeks. This was in the 90s, prior to the constant habit of cellphone chat and texting.

Glad you weren't hurt; be really careful when you get back on. You were lucky this time. Men and toys . . . what worries they cause.:faint:

Pace Cap'n
09-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Not a rider but I think the answer is right, that's called counter steering, no?

You are correct. It's amazing how many riders are unaware of this.

Tape Reader
09-04-2010, 12:49 PM
If you are riding along and you push on the right handlebar, which direction will the bike go?

Down!

Seriously, Let's Roll and Pace Cap'n are correct. The bike does tip downward and the front wheel does slightly point left. The downward lean of the bike causes the proper weight shift for the bike to turn right. Yes, it is called counter steering.

IMO, lack of knowledge of this technique is the number one cause for new riders to fail to properly negotiate a turn. They try to turn the handlebars like they are riding a bicycle at slow speed. "The darn bike wouldn't turn" they usually tell the ambulance crew.

Tape Reader
09-04-2010, 12:56 PM

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Valuist. IMO, only you should determine if you should ride again. Get the bike fixed. Polish it. Sit on it, and see what happens next.

For me it was an additional 50,000 fun filled miles.

bigmack
09-04-2010, 01:24 PM
My former spouse
Former spouse :D

I met a woman at a golf outing recently who was going through a divorce. She referred to him as "My future ex-husband"

Grits
09-04-2010, 08:24 PM

I met a woman at a golf outing recently who was going through a divorce. She referred to him as "My future ex-husband"

Mack . . . . honey, you've laughed at my calling him this before. :lol:

When you're still parents of your only child, you're still 50/50 partners in business, and you still have a whole lotta life insurance on each other--you don't call each other X anything--its just isn't necessary. Not all divorces are nightmares. They really aren't and this is truly one that wasn't. Its unfortunate for those that are. Southerners can be most amicable, even in divorce.

bigmack
09-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Mack . . . . honey, you've laughed at my calling him this before. :lol:
Holy Macaroon!, I'm startin' to repeat myself. Repeat myself.

Why is it the person most photographed in the recent outing out 'Toga Way' is you? Clearly the most photogenic, you make the lads look even more 'thugish' than they already are. With the exception of PA of course. He's dreamy. :blush:

Some might call your top pink. I know betta and roll with fuchsia. I'm so cosmopolitan I scare myself. :rolleyes:

Tom
09-04-2010, 10:41 PM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/643084/

WinterTriangle
09-05-2010, 02:12 AM
Glad you're okay Valuist.

My region is a HUGE motorcycling mecca, probably because of all the Scenic Byways and they come for the wonderful winding roads and the changing of the leaves.

There are a ton of bike rallies between the Ouachita mnts and the Ozarks. Christian Motorcycle Association (Riding for the Son) has a big headquarters here.

I can tell you that people are getting killed all the time.

During the seasons they are here, I am uber-careful while driving. It is really hard to see a bike sometimes.

Rookies
09-07-2010, 10:36 PM
Bikes... motor or not... unless I was on a designated bike path with no vehicular traffic- not a hope in hell in TO. The equivalent of Russian Roulette. I've seen THREE cell phone users go right through the Stop sign without the slightest knowledge they had done so.

Well, until I CAUGHT UP TO THEM...:mad:

kingfin66
09-07-2010, 11:19 PM

I ride too. I'm glad to hear that you came out of it okay. Sorry about the bike.

What were you riding?

skate
09-08-2010, 02:48 PM
hit and runs are the latest fashion

Valuist
09-08-2010, 09:52 PM
I ride too. I'm glad to hear that you came out of it okay. Sorry about the bike.

What were you riding?

Honda Shadow VT1100

What do you ride?

skate
09-09-2010, 06:22 PM

Man, he musta drove really fast.:eek:

kingfin66
09-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Don't laugh. I'm riding a big scooter right now. 2006 Suzuki AN400 Type-S. I just sold a 1985 Honda Nighthawk 700SC. I just bought the scooter recently...was debating between it and a Shadow 750.