PDA

View Full Version : Wow! “It’s a free country. I wish it weren’t.”

andymays
09-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Deval Patrick on Beck rally : “It’s a free country. I wish it weren’t.”

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/09/01/deval-patrick-on-beck-rally-its-a-free-country-i-wish-it-werent/

GaryG
09-02-2010, 09:57 AM
This is seen as a "slip", but I see it more like In Vino Veritas....this is a hard core liberal airing his heart felt views. How dare these people oppose the progressive agenda? Silence them, unplug them.

andymays
09-02-2010, 10:00 AM
This is seen as a "slip", but I see it more like In Vino Veritas....this is a hard core liberal airing his heart felt views. How dare these people oppose the progressive agenda? Silence them, unplug them.

What if Beck had said it? ;)

jballscalls
09-02-2010, 10:47 AM
What if Beck had said it? ;)

more people would have heard it.

but he wouldn't have

mostpost
09-02-2010, 11:30 AM
This is how the quote was written in the original post.
It’s a free country. I wish it weren’t.”
This is how it should have been written.
"It’s a free country...... I wish it weren’t.”

"It’s a free country" is one complete thought. "I wish it weren't" is the answer to the question Should the rally be held on the site and date of the Martin Luther King Rally. It is not a comment on whether this should be a free country.
I'm sure someone is going to accuse me of spin and wonder how long it took me to come up with this explanation. The truth is, the instant I heard the clip, I knew what Patrick meant. Unfortunately he assumed that he did not need to add the words "Being held then and there."
I don't believe Michael Graham (Whoever he is) misunderstood the governor's remarks. I believe they understood it perfectly well, but saw an opportunity to lie

GaryG
09-02-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm sure someone is going to accuse me of spin and wonder how long it took me to come up with this explanation. Yes and yes. That is a tough quote to spin, but you gave it a try as you always do. See, he didn't really mean it that way, he MEANT to say....

mostpost
09-02-2010, 11:49 AM

"It’s a free country" is one complete thought. "I wish it weren't" is the answer to the question Should the rally be held on the site and date of the Martin Luther King Rally. It is not a comment on whether this should be a free country.
I'm sure someone is going to accuse me of spin and wonder how long it took me to come up with this explanation. The truth is, the instant I heard the clip, I knew what Patrick meant. Unfortunately he assumed that he did not need to add the words "Being held then and there."
I don't believe Michael Graham (Whoever he is) misunderstood the governor's remarks. I believe they understood it perfectly well, but saw an opportunity to lie
I found this after I posted the above.
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/politics/view.bg?articleid=1278620&srvc=home&position=emailed
Excerpt:
Patrick later in the day defended his radio remarks, stressing he has long defended freedom of speech. The governor said he meant that Fox TV host Glenn Beck should not have chosen the site of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have A Dream” speech on its 47th anniversary to hold his “Restoring Honor” rally. The rally was held Saturday.

“I wish they hadn’t chose that place and that day to have that event,” Patrick said. “But it’s a free country. That was my point, and it has to be respected.”

Cahill, who has courted Tea Party followers and appeared on Beck’s show, slammed Patrick for saying the Lincoln Memorial was somehow sacred ground.

The governor, a former Clinton administration civil rights official, recoiled at the notion he would abridge Beck’s or anyone’s rights.

“I’ve been involved in civil rights for most of my career,” Patrick said.

Earlier in the exchange between Patrick and host Jim Braude, the governor had talked about King’s “I Have A Dream” speech being one of the “seminal sources of inspiration” for him as a boy and said the Lincoln Memorial was “sacred ground.” He called Beck’s rally theme of returning to “transcendent values” powerful.

Braude then interrupted the governor to ask if he was “troubled” by the event.

Braude said he didn’t think Patrick was calling for Beck or anyone else to have their rights curtailed, and said he wouldn’t have moved to another topic if he had.

mostpost
09-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Yes and yes. That is a tough quote to spin, but you gave it a try as you always do. See, he didn't really mean it that way, he MEANT to say....
It's sad that you are so easily manipulated. That these guys know exactly which buttons to push. That they know you will not apply any critical thinking to anything they tell you. That you have been so brainwashed you are incapable of thinking. Period.

It isn't about what he meant to say; it's about what he did say, which was clearly not what your masters claim he said. Jim Braude, the host of the show, understood this. I understood this. Why won't you?

GaryG
09-02-2010, 12:37 PM
"Later in the day" he defended his remarks....sure he did, he was already catching heat for what he said earlier. That is when he told you what he really meant. Sort of like the POS/POTUS backing off his mosque remarks that were made to his muslim brothers. There are other similar quotes from lefty wing nuts recently, such as Sheryl Crow's "song" about silencing Palin. Keep spinning mosty...

toetoe
09-02-2010, 12:59 PM
The Activist-in-Chief is calling for a press conference to declare that people have the right to stage a rally just about anywhere.

Nah --- maybe not. He's not the type to chime in with his opinion. :rolleyes: .

boxcar
09-02-2010, 01:00 PM

You're the one who either lying or you didn't listen to the YouTube video. The second sentence immediately follows the first sentence. Context means something, Mosty. Lame effort, though, in tying to cover up for [probably] another Marxist.

Plus I don't know why you balk at his remarks. Leftists don't give two flips about personal freedom or liberty. Leftists' shtick is Collectivism and Big Central Government, Controls and Regulations at every turn. The only way Leftists believe in Freedom is when they want to be Free to exercise control and power over the People. That's the kind of freedom Leftists thoroughly champion. Doubt this? Go back and listen to BO's remarks about the fundamentally flawed Constitution and how he lamented the limitations it placed on government's powers. Quit deceiving yourself already.

Boxcar

ArlJim78
09-02-2010, 01:37 PM
I still do not understand the beef people have about the Beck rally. how is it any kind of a slap at MLK to have a rally at the mall on that day? a rally which promoted the same kind of values that MLK was in favor of?

you mean nobody is allowed to speak at the mall on that day? or only certain people that annoint themselves as being acceptable to Kings memory. people like Patrick act like it was a Klan rally.

Tom
09-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Who honored Dr. King's beliefs better, Beck or Sharpton?

mostpost
09-02-2010, 02:52 PM
I still do not understand the beef people have about the Beck rally. how is it any kind of a slap at MLK to have a rally at the mall on that day? a rally which promoted the same kind of values that MLK was in favor of?

you mean nobody is allowed to speak at the mall on that day? or only certain people that annoint themselves as being acceptable to Kings memory. people like Patrick act like it was a Klan rally.
Maybe it's because we don't believe Beck holds the same values as MLK, or any values at all,
Who said nobody is allowed to speak at the mall on that day? Who said
only certain people that annoint themselves as being acceptable to Kings memory should be allowed to speak?
Somehow, I missed the part where Beck was unable to hold his rally. Did I not see pictures of a moderately large group at the Lincoln Memorial?
A lot of people said Beck should not hold his rally there and then. No one said he could not. IF someone did they were wrong.

mostpost
09-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Sharpton.

skate
09-02-2010, 02:59 PM
tHEY never did find out who it was that AssAssinated King.

Personally, i believe the Assassin to be of the Liberal Nature, with Assassination on her/his mind,, one who then fled off to Canada, to hide.

Persona non grata;)

PhantomOnTour
09-02-2010, 04:40 PM
So you wish we weren't free also?
There has been a time in everyone's lives where they wish the Constitution didn't apply to another human being. The Bill Of Rights applies even to folks who don't deserve it.

GaryG
09-02-2010, 05:12 PM
So you wish we weren't free also?
There has been a time in everyone's lives where they wish the Constitution didn't apply to another human being. The Bill Of Rights applies even to folks who don't deserve it.No, of course not. I was mimicking the attitute of those like Ms. Crow:

"I saw you ranting on TV today, I heard you tell me to reload. You got a lot of nerve to talk that way, someone unplug the microphone," sings Crow in her new anthem.

Tom
09-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Sharpton.

Specifics, from the two events?

Miss Disco
09-02-2010, 11:02 PM
**the sound of crickets***

bigmack
09-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Specifics, from the two events?
T, come on, haven't you read the transcript from his moving "I Have a Scheme" speech on Saturday?

Get with it, will ya?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/9_2_10_20_16_41.png
http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2010/08/exclusive-transcript-al-sharptons-i.html

PaceAdvantage
09-03-2010, 02:50 AM
Sharpton.Nothing but a parrot you are.

fast4522
09-03-2010, 07:07 AM
I doubt that it was a slip at all, they want to remove our rights. Who are we the people to oppose their agenda. Our bill of rights and our United Stated Constitution is in the way of how "they want". Filthy thought by filthy people.

dartman51
09-03-2010, 11:31 AM

There you go again. The ALL KNOWING, ALL SEEING, I KNOW EVERYTHING, EL-RUSHBO......OPPS....sorry. I meant EL-MOSTIE. But in this case, I tend to agree with you, that it was JUST a slip of the tongue. (ouch..that hurt.) The problem is, YOU lose credibility in the way you present your case or cases. You come on here all the time to tell us what someone MEANT to say, when they said something else. If you are such a mind reader, you should take your act on the road. I hear Europe is nice this time of year. ;)

mostpost
09-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Now for the long answer. In his speech, Rev. Sharpton spoke about the struggle for civil rights. He talked about people standing up to water cannons and billy clubs and attack dogs. He recounted progress made and called for progress yet to come. He called on people to renounce gangs and drugs, to continue their education so they could realize the dream of Dr. Martin Luther King and those who marched with him.
He compared how people had come to the original Martin Luther King rally on the mall in the backs of buses and now were able to come in the first class cabin of airplanes. He spoke of how civil rights leaders had requested a meeting with President Kennedy and how a black man was now President of the United States. He told us about how a young black girl had watched in fear as Governor Wallace stood in the doorway and blocked her sister from attending the University of Alabama; and then he told us how that same black girl, now a woman was the wife of the Attorney General of the United States.
He said this (And I am paraphrasing) "We are the children of dreamers. We are the children of men and women who did not fire a single shot, yet changed the social fabric of a nation.

Now for Glenn Beck's speech. I hardly know where to begin. It had everything necesary to arouse patriotic fervor, without understanding that fervor. It had knowledge of the monuments and memorials on the National Mall, without an understandin of those monuments and memorials. It knew about the accomplishments of our founding fathers, but lacked understanding of their beliefs. It called for a return to God, while limiting that return to one specific, carefully defined God. All other Gods need not apply.

During his speech Beck talked about the Washington Monument. He pointed out the place where the stone changed color. He said it was caused when the Civil War caused a stoppage in the building of the monument and the original stone was not available when construction resumed.
You would think a guy who used tradition so heavily would know the truth.
That is not why construction on the Washington Monument was halted.
When the monument was being built, various countries donated stones to be placed in the monument. When the Pope donated a stone, members of the Know Nothing Party stole it and through it in the Potomac River. The Know Nothings gained control of the commission in charge of building the Washington Monument, and used such inferior stone that it had to be replaced.

(If you are not familiar with the Know Nothing Party, think nineteenth century Tea Party)

At another time in his speech, Beck talked about how he had visited Mt. Vernon and the National Archieves and about how he had held Washington' Inauguaral Address in his hands and how that had inspired him. All very nice , all very patriotic, all very inspiring. All a big fat lie. Officials iof the National Archieves said Beck did not hold the address; that in fact no one is allowed to handle it except trained curators.

Back to my short answer.

SHARPTON

mostpost
09-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Nothing but a parrot you are.
That you, Yoda?

mostpost
09-03-2010, 02:12 PM
There you go again. The ALL KNOWING, ALL SEEING, I KNOW EVERYTHING, EL-RUSHBO......OPPS....sorry. I meant EL-MOSTIE. But in this case, I tend to agree with you, that it was JUST a slip of the tongue. (ouch..that hurt.) The problem is, YOU lose credibility in the way you present your case or cases. You come on here all the time to tell us what someone MEANT to say, when they said something else. If you are such a mind reader, you should take your act on the road. I hear Europe is nice this time of year. ;)
I'm not telling anyone what someone meant to say. I'm explaining what they did say, and how their statement is being twisted by use of selective editing or deliberate misinterpretation.

I am happy you were able to see the light in this instance. Use your considerable intellect and I am sure it will happen more often.

mostpost
09-03-2010, 02:15 PM
I doubt that it was a slip at all, they want to remove our rights. Who are we the people to oppose their agenda. Our bill of rights and our United Stated Constitution is in the way of how "they want". Filthy thought by filthy people.
I'm relieved to see you here. The fellow who took over the Discovery Channel headquarters used the word "Filthy" excessively in his mainifesto. I thought; I hope it wasn't.................

GaryG
09-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Sharpton has proven, over and over, that he be nothing but an opportunistic race-baiting weasel. Mosty, can you say Tawana Bradley?

bigmack
09-03-2010, 02:23 PM
At another time in his speech, Beck talked about how he had visited Mt. Vernon and the National Archieves and about how he had held Washington' Inauguaral Address in his hands and how that had inspired him. All very nice , all very patriotic, all very inspiring. All a big fat lie. Officials iof the National Archieves said Beck did not hold the address; that in fact no one is allowed to handle it except trained curators.
Nice work, Columbo. How's life up Olbermann's keister?
http://www.glennbeck.com/content/videos/?uri=channels/390088/1015117

JustRalph
09-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Now for the long answer. In his speech, Rev. Sharpton spoke about the struggle for civil rights. He talked about people standing up to water cannons and billy clubs and attack dogs. He recounted progress made and called for progress yet to come. He called on people to renounce gangs and drugs, to continue their education so they could realize the dream of Dr. Martin Luther King and those who marched with him.
He compared how people had come to the original Martin Luther King rally on the mall in the backs of buses and now were able to come in the first class cabin of airplanes. He spoke of how civil rights leaders had requested a meeting with President Kennedy and how a black man was now President of the United States. He told us about how a young black girl had watched in fear as Governor Wallace stood in the doorway and blocked her sister from attending the University of Alabama; and then he told us how that same black girl, now a woman was the wife of the Attorney General of the United States.

He said this (And I am paraphrasing) "We are the children of dreamers. We are the children of men and women who did not fire a single shot, yet changed the social fabric of a nation.
SHARPTON

yep and after all that inspiration they sneak over to the Glenn Beck tent and go under the back to steal the bottled water..........amazing how that works............ :bang:

alytim
09-03-2010, 03:56 PM
yep and after all that inspiration they sneak over to the Glenn Beck tent and go under the back to steal the bottled water..........amazing how that works............ :bang:

Not the bottled water. There has to be pictures, produce them.

mostpost
09-03-2010, 04:04 PM
From the other Glenn Beck Thread:
Drove back down and picked my party up right in front of the Washington Monument at around 3p. Tight traffic but not terrible.

The best video of the day.........Al Sharpton's rally sneaking over to a tent and stealing the bottled water Glenn Beck had provided for free.

5 miles later a guy standing on the corner selling Glenn Beck bottled water

So they stole free water? The dastardly criminals!!!! Was the water there for someone who passed an ideological test or was it there for people who were thirsty?

Fiver miles later you saw a guy standing on the corner selling Glenn Beck bottled water. Was he wearing a sign that proclaimed him a Sharpton disciple? If you were driving and saw the water being stolen at the Washington Monument, how was he able to be at that corner, five miles away, when you drove up? Besides, aren't you the guys who are always talking about free enterprise and the entreprenurial spirit.?

cj's dad
09-03-2010, 09:42 PM
The fact that you defend and honor Sharpton speaks volumes !!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Can you spell LOSER ?? :D:D:D:D:D

mostpost
09-03-2010, 10:34 PM
The fact that you defend and honor Sharpton speaks volumes !!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Can you spell LOSER ?? :D:D:D:D:D
Loser c...o...n...s...e...r...v...a...t...i...v...e...s Loser.

Rookies
09-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Loser c...o...n...s...e...r...v...a...t...i...v...e...s Loser.

:lol:

Mosty... with his 'A' game on this one! :)

boxcar
09-03-2010, 11:12 PM

Quite flattering the guy. He has never owned such a thing -- and if he did, he wouldn't know what to do with it.

Boxcar

cj's dad
09-04-2010, 12:08 AM

That post will surely be one that will go down in history as one of the most ingenious ever !!:sleeping:

fast4522
09-05-2010, 01:11 PM
You thought it was me, I thought it was Hcap. Closer to the fact the police killed one of your voters. Most of the sick bastards who want to choose the day they are to die are of your elk and you know that.