PDA

View Full Version : Freddy Head says competition sets Goldikova apart from Zenyatta

andymays
09-02-2010, 09:23 AM
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2010/September/02/Head-says-competition-sets-Goldikova-apart-from-Zenyatta.aspx

Excerpt:

Head praised Zenyatta, but he said Goldikova, a ten-time Grade or Group 1 winner, has faced a stiffer schedule over the last three years.

“Zenyatta is a great, great mare, with a great personality,” said Head, who as a jockey guided Miesque to two consecutive Mile wins in 1987-‘88. “The difference is that Goldikova has met, from her three-year-old year, older colts, which may not be the same for Zenyatta. She met them once in the Breeders’ Cup. All her races have not been in as top class of races as we run in Europe. That’s the only difference between them.”

PaceAdvantage
09-02-2010, 11:09 AM
"That’s the HUGE difference between them.”As they like to say...fixed it for him... :lol:

classhandicapper
09-02-2010, 12:07 PM
It would have been nice to see them race against each other because it's actually possible that Zenyatta's best surface is turf. She loves Pro Ride and that surface has been extremely kind to European and US turfers. I've been praying all year they would scrap the plan to run in the BC Classic and try her on turf at Belmont, but that was never even a consideration.

The great success of European mares on turf in both Europe and in the US makes it way more likely that they will test the waters against males. The record of top dirt mares against the best older dirt colts in the US has been fairly dreadful in modern times. So it happens only rarely.

Perhaps if synthetic tracks were around longer and there was more of a record on it, we'd see more of it. Personally, I think mares would have an easier time of it on synthetic also.

Tom
09-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Who the heck is Fred Head? :confused:

46zilzal
09-02-2010, 12:59 PM
family is well known in French racing circles.....His sister is a great trainer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criquette_Head-Maarek

FenceBored
09-02-2010, 01:02 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy_Head

A. Jockey who rode Miesque to two straight BC Mile wins.
B. Trainer who conditioned Goldikova to two straight BC Mile wins.
C. All of the above.

ArlJim78
09-02-2010, 01:18 PM
You can't argue with what Head said (hey I made a rhyme)
Of course he's correct.

I'm of the opposite view as classhandicapper though regarding the surface.
I really don't picture Zenyatta with her large frame and stride excelling on the turf. She takes some time to wind up and get into her drive. Not like the top turfers who are usually not so large and have that immediate quick burst of speed and stride rate.

In my opinion I happen to think that despite all the synthetic accolades that are naturally bestowed on Zenyatta because that is where she has done the majority of her racing, I feel that she would be at her best on a real dirt surface, based on the way she looked running at Oaklawn. I would have liked to have been able to have seen a few more dirt races from her this year, in order to verify if I'm correct. Of course if she repeats in the classic that will say a lot in and of itself with regard to both the class and surface questions.

DeanT
09-02-2010, 01:38 PM
You can't argue with what Head said (hey I made a rhyme)
Of course he's correct.

I really don't picture Zenyatta with her large frame and stride excelling on the turf. She takes some time to wind up and get into her drive. Not like the top turfers who are usually not so large and have that immediate quick burst of speed and stride rate.

In my opinion I happen to think that despite all the synthetic accolades that are naturally bestowed on Zenyatta because that is where she has done the majority of her racing, I feel that she would be at her best on a real dirt surface, based on the way she looked running at Oaklawn. I would have liked to have been able to have seen a few more dirt races from her this year, in order to verify if I'm correct. Of course if she repeats in the classic that will say a lot in and of itself with regard to both the class and surface questions.
I agree with that Jim.

It would have been so much different if she was an east coast (read - non synth) horse, imo. Obviously she would have had a tough time beating a 49.4 half at GP for example, than a 49.4 half at SA, just because it is speed favoring (if she kept her deep closer running style)..... but it would be interesting to me because if she did race on speed tracks instead I think she would have been raced differently. If you watch the Lady's Secret from two years back she was on the pace. She ran beautifully. I would bet that she would have a different running style if she had been based on the east coast, and that would have been interesting. She is a more versatile horse than she is given credit for, imo.

It might have done her some good too in the eye of fig players - because closer to the pace she can run more big numbers.

Anyway, there is a lot of opinions on interesting horses in this day and age, like her. When you mostly race the same type horses on the same type tracks it cant help but breed a lot of speculation from fans.

classhandicapper
09-02-2010, 01:55 PM

It does take her awhile to get going, but she has an amazing two moves. One brilliant move gets her into contention on the turn and another kicks in after she straightens out through the stretch and cranks it up again. I can't imagine many too turfers being able to hold her off. We'll never know though. :( I picked Belmont because it's such a big track, the wider turns might not have hindered as a much when she did get going. Then, again, I certainly would have loved to have seen her on the Belmont main track also.

I also agree that she's capable of staying closer (or at least was) and still finishing well.

She's been running a lot slower early in the race this year than she did back in 2008.

BluegrassProf
09-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Breaking News: Outbreak of Obviosa Majoris Strikes France

Excerpt:

"Very little is known about the Obviosa virus," said Dr. Richard Phelps, director of the Center for Clarity Studies at the University of York in the United Kingdom. "The symptoms seem to vary so dramatically from person to person that it's been difficult to even categorize the virus using traditional methods."

"All we can say with certainty is that the rate of Obviosa infection is growing exponentially, and for many of us, that's a serious concern," he said.

Unique to the Obviosa Majoris virus is its tendency to manifest a wide variety of symptoms in infected patients. Individuals have reported a wide spectrum of reactions, from subtle references to abstract truths to violent outbursts of the immediately obvious and instantly visible.

Even minor celebrities in the region, such as the well-known thoroughbred trainer and former jockey Freddy Head, have faced bouts with the virus. Head was recently quoted by a popular racing media outlet after making a reference to what doctors subsequently confirmed as a "undeniable fact," something particularly disconcerting in the sport of horseracing, as such behaviors have all but disappeared over the last several years. "I'm not sure what we'd do about it," said Bruce Dillington, a local track official, citing his own concern about the virus after more than five years of remission in the industry. "It's been so long since we've seen an Obviosa outbreak around here, I think we all got lazy thinking it was gone forever, and seeing Freddy like that - I think it's got us all on edge." Dillington himself is no stranger to the virus: his wife, Coretta Dillington, was infected in the early 90's with Obviosa Majoris. "It was terrifying," he recollects; "We were in the market one afternoon, and she leaned over to me and said, 'It's sunny today.' I'll never forget that," he said.

Experts urge caution for at-risk populations, in particular men and women age 25-55, and those who commonly deny the self-evident facts that Obviosa tends to amplify. If symptoms of infection appears, it is urged that local officials are notified as quickly as possible to prevent any additional spreading.

Goldi's a beast, and hot damn, a thrill to watch in her element...I'm with Freddy on this one.

ArlJim78
09-02-2010, 03:36 PM
It does take her awhile to get going, but she has an amazing two moves. One brilliant move gets her into contention on the turn and another kicks in after she straightens out through the stretch and cranks it up again. I can't imagine many too turfers being able to hold her off. We'll never know though. :( I picked Belmont because it's such a big track, the wider turns might not have hindered as a much when she did get going. Then, again, I certainly would have loved to have seen her on the Belmont main track also.

I also agree that she's capable of staying closer (or at least was) and still finishing well.

She's been running a lot slower early in the race this year than she did back in 2008.
you're right about the two moves, and hey I think she could probably hold her own on turf domestically speaking. But when you start talking about top turf milers like Goldikova? Naw I just don't see it happening, that is not Zenyatta's game and I think she'd get dusted pretty bad.
Frankly I expected that they would have ran either at Saratoga or Belmont to prep for the BC, but they've played it so conservative. It's disappointing that this campaign wasn't more creative. Another Ladys Secret?:sleeping:

horses4courses
09-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Comparing those mares is an apples to oranges scenario....

Yes....G, pound for pound, has faced tougher opponents.
It's been strictly on turf at 8, or 9, furlongs, for the most part.
Z would not be as effective under 9 furlongs, and who knows if she turfs?
Anyway, the two will never meet.

Freddie Head was one of France's all-time leading jockeys.
In his riding days, he and Yves St. Martin ruled in France.
When he came to ride at Epsom in England, though, it was a scary sight.
Freddie loved the nice flat tracks in France.
When he rode Epsom, I think he was scared of the hills there.

gm10
09-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Another thing that sets them apart is that Freddy Head always enters a rabbit (Only Green) so that Goldi has some pace to run at.

cj
09-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Another thing that sets them apart is that Freddy Head always enters a rabbit (Only Green) so that Goldi has some pace to run at.

I'd much rather that than avoid competition at all costs.

Dahoss9698
09-02-2010, 07:09 PM
I don't recall Goldikova having a rabbit in her 2 Breeders Cup wins.

cj
09-02-2010, 07:12 PM
I don't recall Goldikova having a rabbit in her 2 Breeders Cup wins.

I should have known. He doesn't get ANYTHING right.

Charlie D
09-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Without looking i'm not sure, but i think whabbits are only put into operation in France.

Seabiscuit@AR
09-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Until Goldikova faces top turf milers in Asia or Australia she has not faced the best turf milers around. Let's see him take Goldikova to Hong Kong in December. Last year the BC Turf sprint winner California Flag went to Shatin and missed a place

"Goldy faces the best there is" might be a popular thing to say but it is not as simple as most make it out to be

Also being a top miler is great but being a top 10 furlong horse is better as it shows you have that stamina as well. Goldikova is a top miler but not a top 10 furlong horse. Zenyatta can run a strong 10 furlongs Goldy can't

cj
09-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Until Goldikova faces top turf milers in Asia or Australia she has not faced the best turf milers around. Let's see him take Goldikova to Hong Kong in December. Last year the BC Turf sprint winner California Flag went to Shatin and missed a place

This has been stated here before but proven woefully wrong.

Seabiscuit@AR
09-02-2010, 08:04 PM
The HK Sprint and HK mile are stronger races than the BC Turf Sprint and BC Turf Mile

Just look at poor old California Flag. 1st in BC but what did he run in HK?

Charlie D
09-02-2010, 08:13 PM
If you want to gauge how strong a race is look up Timeform Global rankings. The superior race and performance will be rated above the inferior.

cj
09-02-2010, 08:15 PM
The HK Sprint and HK mile are stronger races than the BC Turf Sprint and BC Turf Mile

Just look at poor old California Flag. 1st in BC but what did he run in HK?

Well, that has something to do with medication. Nobody cares about turf sprints here either.

Audioslavery
09-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Zenyatta is a proven horse, people here just look for reasons to bring her down a few pegs. Freddy Head has definitely put Goldikova through a tougher schedule than any COLT I've seen! (Hence why she LOST her last start)

Zenyatta will be fine this fall, she's still working like the top horse in the country. (looks at today's work)

Charlie D
09-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Zenyatta is a proven horse, people here just look for reasons to bring her down a few pegs. Freddy Head has definitely put Goldikova through a tougher schedule than any COLT I've seen! (Hence why she LOST her last start)

Goldi losing her last start had nothing to do with her schedule.

Audioslavery
09-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Goldi losing her last start had nothing to do with her schedule.

I stand corrected then, certainly not an easy schedule nonetheless.

Charlie D
09-02-2010, 08:34 PM
not as easy as some, that's for sure.