PDA

View Full Version : automatic updates messing w/ my computer

JPinMaryland
08-31-2010, 10:59 AM
I am not totally sure if that's what happened but when I was traveling for a week with my laptop, I dont think I even surfed the net with it. Anyhow I got back home, set it up and couldnt get the speakers to work. THe Help suggestions sugggested restoring it back to an older pt. in time and that's what I did: to the day before I left home. And the speakers work fine

Q: was this problem possibly caused by an automatic update from the internet such as by Flash or something? The concern is that if it updates again the same problem will happen.

The next one is an ongoing issue but related, the same time I got home I got the issue where the cursor moves when I type. Most annoying. It got so bad almost every 5 or 6 key strokes the cursor jumps to an earlier spot and I wind up typing/deleting over earlier parts I had written. I believe it only happens on the internet, normal word processing seems fine. It is not a problem right now since I did the restore but not sure this might happen again.

I had had this problem earlier and I had googled it although not sure what I did to fix it. Most suggestions on the internet had to do with disabling track pad (not sure I even have that, I am on a laptop with a basic mouse/pad); another suggestions under Control Panel > Mouse> Settings > Hide Mouse Pointer when typing. I couldnt even find that particular Hide Mouse feature in my settings. Another suggestions under Mouse settings was to uncheck Drag Loc. Again not even sure I have this.

Any comments on this issue?

tx.

wilderness
08-31-2010, 12:03 PM
If you go into Windows Control Panel (Settings).

Your able to remove updates.

You may be required to change a setting first which displays the updates.
Each update (in the CP) offers a link to an MS page on the update. Frequently these explain potential conflicts.

senortout
08-31-2010, 12:43 PM
try typing again with your touchpad turned off. You say you never used your laptop the whole time....did a friend use it?

JustRalph
08-31-2010, 12:44 PM
the laptop was bumped around and corrupted the sound driver on the disk, most probably, or corrupted a setting to do with the sound drivers

your restore replaced it
laptops/any computer should never ride in the trunk of a car, always on the seat (seats are built for comfort and no vibration) or in a nice padded case in the spot with the lest vibration you can find. this means not the back of a SUV either.

the "trackpad" they are talking about is the little pad that you put your finger on to move the mouse around

you are probably brushing it while typing......even static from your fingers can cause this..............i have to disable mine using the function keys on my mini/netbook...............so i disable it and use a wireless mouse...problem solved

senortout
08-31-2010, 01:49 PM
I might add that sound drivers don't ALWAYS LOAD AT BOOT. This does happen to my desktop occasionally and I have researched it a lot. Even installed new drivers. They seemed to fix the problem but it resurfaces on occasion.

Before you restored, then, my question would be:

Did you try cold booting several times. A cold boot.....shutting down completely, not hitting restart. A complete shutdown and boot from scratch.
The sound icon will have an X on it if the sound drivers don't load. And you won't hear windows start up wav file playing.

JPinMaryland
08-31-2010, 01:52 PM
Actually now that I think about it, when I got back home it did not start up in the usual manner but said that there had been a problem in shutting down, it gave me the little screen with the typed in commands and asked me if I wanted to start in safe mode. I would also note that the sound icon on the bottom of the desktop indicated there was a problem but it really did not suggest what caused the problem although it did suggest system restore.

So I guess starting in safe mode then probably didnt activate the sound system or whatever term you use..

As for usage during the trip. I did start it once, but did not surf the net. I simply opened a word file or two in order to get passwords so I could use my cousin's pc and surf.

It does not have a real carrying case and I put it in the trunk so I guess that explains that.

One issue that remains is the thing with the cursor/track pad. The issue is not happening now, and I really didnt change any settings having to do with it. It seems to have stopped on its own. Also the problem only occurred while typing several posts on the internet and not typing in a word file on the pc. I know some other people have had the problem from googling it and the trackpad seems to be the most likely answer but there do seem to be other possible causes. I am just concerned it may occur again it is awfully frustrating.

tx.

JPinMaryland
08-31-2010, 04:39 PM
oh thanks a lot for all the help on this and the other issue. Lots of knowledge here re: computers. Now if you can only help me find winners :bang: