PDA

View Full Version : MOVE MLK DAY TO AUGUST

delayjf
08-28-2003, 05:29 PM
I'm of the opinion that Martin Luther King Day should be moved from its current date of @20th January to sometime around the first of August.
As things currently stand, coming off a long X-mas holiday, almost nobody can afford or is willing to take advantage of this holiday.

Why not move it to around the beginning of August. Right now, there is nothing between 4th of July and Labor day, almost 2 months. Wouldn't a holiday somewhere in between have a must bigger impact on the economy?? We could tie in MLK day with the anniversary of his "I have a dream " speech.

kenwoodallpromos
08-29-2003, 01:42 AM
I think Jan 20 is mlk birthday. Maybe we could have a "Black activist day" like President's day. Of course everybody bitches that Columbus gives the Italians 1 day but all of Feb is "black history MONTH".

Valuist
08-29-2003, 11:00 AM
At many workplaces, there's no holidays until Memorial Day. I say put it in March or April.

And while we're talking holidays, lets designate one particular Sunday for Easter, rather than this floating Sunday stuff.

delayjf
08-29-2003, 01:13 PM
I don't know what MLK birthday actually is, but MLK day is moved around to match a Monday. Some time in the spring would be OK timing wise, but I figured August to take advantage of Summer, and to correspond with one of the most famous civil rights event, the rally in DC and his famous speech.

Good idea about Easter, two years ago it was celebrated in March.

But how long will it be before the secularist ban X-mas and Easter? Don't these two holidays establish a religion?

Tom
08-30-2003, 11:59 AM
Who cares...most people do not get it off anyway-it's not really a full hoiliday.