PDA

View Full Version : Super Saver

PhantomOnTour
08-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Empty again. So what's next for the Derby winner?

Sprints?
Retirement?
Time off (put away until 2011)?
Keep on keeping on vs top competition going long?

What would you do and what do you think Winstar will do with him?

Like Discreetly Mine (and Noble's Promise imo) I think Super Saver should sprint. He has pace but no finish going a route of ground(even in the Derby) so I think 7f would be a good distance.
I think Winstar puts him away for the year and possibly retires him, though I hope they bring him back in 2011.

DarrenClarke
08-29-2010, 12:43 PM
I was thinking about this last night. Seems like a good time for a phony injury to save face and try to preserve value for stud duty.

cj
08-29-2010, 12:53 PM
It isn't like he had a stellar record before the Derby. I'm not sure he has much value right now to be honest.

Robert Fischer
08-29-2010, 01:08 PM
another horse that Borel gets a TON of credit for. This stuff doesn't even make sense. Anyone will tell you that jockeys are merely passengers, and Borel is dragging these animals around the track. :confused:

this year was much less dramatic than his 20 length+ railSkimming tricks in the past, but he took a horse that merely "fit" on a good day and got the horse to change leads, and did it forwardly(the only place possible for the often afoul footwork of SS) on a tight-wire act pace scenario that would have gladly eaten up any and all forward horses in the 2010 KYD

Stevie Belmont
08-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Shorten him up and try the sod.

Or run in the Classic and hope it rains like hell. He likes that track.

JustRalph
08-29-2010, 03:58 PM
I think it validates Borel as a Tactician when it comes to volatile 20 horse fields with 10 horses who are just getting in the way.

Field size of 20 in the most important race of the year makes for a lousy lousy way to determine a good horse. Unless he runs in the first flight and stays on......... suspicion abounds.

Monarchos, Giacomo, Super Saver, Mine that Bird et al

Notice I left Street Sense out of that list............I think he was the real deal.