PDA

View Full Version : The Ballston Spa

OTM Al
08-28-2010, 11:19 AM
So someone already started a Travers thread and I find this race a little more interesting anyway, but for the record, throw out all Belmont runners and I don't find the Jim Dandy all that compelling either so I've picked Trappe Shot, but that's not what this thread is about....

I will admit that I waffled between three horses before settling on Maram. Final selling point was the record here and at the distance. I also like the chances of Dynaslew as she appears to be in very nice form and anything close to the morning line the price is nice. I will play her underneath though. As a saver over Maram I will us Mekong Melody. She's run well since coming to the US and won a grade 2 off the layoff. So my play is 9/7+10 plus a 9+10 box as a saver.

GaryG
08-28-2010, 11:58 AM
:4: SILVER REUNION - Think she will run big off the layoff and she is the speed of the field. 10/1 on the line.

Cherokee Queen and Phola underneath

Best of luck to all

PhantomOnTour
08-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Brutal race to try to find a winner. Better go at least 3 deep if playing P4s or P3s.

Phola will get her pace today but worry that some will get a big jump on her (Maram, Mekong Melody). I will try a different stalker in Cherokee Queen (#8). She had trouble and finished right on Phola's ass in the Just A Game. Granted she came to beat Chestoria, who wouldn't contend vs these and she dumped her rider in last....wait, why do I like her again??? :lol:

46zilzal
08-28-2010, 12:41 PM
:6: Scolara :7: Dynaslew tower over this field versus tough paces they have been up against ...although the SEVEN seems to be very far out of it before big big moves. :8: Cherokee Queen and :10:Mekong Melody could be out front for a long time and may, in the case of the ten, only back up a bit. Agreed that Phola could be up close, but not late

Trappe Shot ONLY if the pace falls apart as that one is going to be too far out of it to get to the line without out pace collapse

PaceAdvantage
08-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Well, I originally settled on Mekong Melody but that one has such poor final fractions compared to the rest of the field that I just can't bet that type of horse on the turf.

Leaves me with Cherokee Queen in a very bettable race.

cj
08-28-2010, 01:10 PM
I like Phola a lot here. She has really improved lately, and her last run into a moderate pace was very impressive for me.

Charlie D
08-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Sometimes i notice, sometimes i don't, but thought JV hopping off Strike The Bell onto Mekong Melody was interesting.

Anyway, heres my selections

:1: :5: :10:

I'll take :5: for win at around ML of 15-1

WinterTriangle
08-28-2010, 02:00 PM
I decided not to take a chance on the winner of Race 8 Ballston Spa. I have 3 I think can win and I couldn't narrow down. I will say that if playing exotics, I would include the #2, Danzon. He has a number of interesting pedigree facts that put him nicely at this distance, and he's 20-1 :)

Travers --- If I play I'll play longshots w/p and that would be #3 and #8. History doesn't favor Super Saver to win, and Trappe Shot and A Little Warm will be total chalk, I think.
I would definitely give Ice Box (#6) a chance to hit the board here and he will have terrific odds.

cj
08-28-2010, 02:33 PM
I decided not to take a chance on the winner of Race 8 Ballston Spa. I have 3 I think can win and I couldn't narrow down. I will say that if playing exotics, I would include the #2, Danzon. He has a number of interesting pedigree facts that put him nicely at this distance, and he's 20-1 :)

Travers --- If I play I'll play longshots w/p and that would be #3 and #8. History doesn't favor Super Saver to win, and Trappe Shot and A Little Warm will be total chalk, I think.
I would definitely give Ice Box (#6) a chance to hit the board here and he will have terrific odds.

The Ballston Spa is not for "he" types.

46zilzal
08-28-2010, 03:36 PM
:6: Scolara :7: Dynaslew tower over this field versus tough paces they have been up against ...although the SEVEN seems to be very far out of it before big big moves. :8: Cherokee Queen and :10:Mekong Melody could be out front for a long time and may, in the case of the ten, only back up a bit. Agreed that Phola could be up close, but not late

Well the top end worked

PaceAdvantage
08-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Hope you cashed 46! :ThmbUp:

WinterTriangle
08-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Nice pick on the winner 46. And Gary for the 7 for place.

My only input was to play the #2 in all exotics, and he did indeed hit the superfecta. :) Shorter race he probably would have hit the tri

Charlie D
08-28-2010, 03:47 PM
:ThmbUp: Winners

Tom
08-28-2010, 04:36 PM
7-1?

That is always good for what ails ya! :ThmbUp: