PDA

View Full Version : formulator and excel help

permenbg
08-28-2010, 11:15 AM
need a little help (maybe a lot) , I am getting my data into excel, made a blank sheet with all the columns and heading that I need ,saved it , named it. now when I try import into it the import data command is grayed out. any ideas.

help
permenbg
bpermenter@gt.rr.com

Native Texan III
08-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Is it simply that you use the Open command for a saved file (which is now an Excel file) or do you want to add more imported data to a saved file you can open?

Tom
08-28-2010, 08:30 PM
How are you trying to import?

raybo
08-28-2010, 10:04 PM
need a little help (maybe a lot) , I am getting my data into excel, made a blank sheet with all the columns and heading that I need ,saved it , named it. now when I try import into it the import data command is grayed out. any ideas.

help
permenbg
bpermenter@gt.rr.com

Are you trying to import into a protected workbook? Can you make other changes to the workbook? Is it "Read Only" (look in the title bar at the top of the workbook and see if "(Read Only)" is next to the workbook name).

If it's "Read Only", do a "Save as" ,renaming the workbook, and then, do another "Save as", on the newly renamed workbook, changing the name back to what it was. This will remove the "Read Only" status.

permenbg
08-28-2010, 11:59 PM
thanks for the answers..my data base has a lot more column than I need .how can I make a template with just the columns I need. do I have to have a blank sheet when I import.

hope I get there soon
permenbg
bpermenter@gt.rr.com

raybo
08-29-2010, 07:45 AM
thanks for the answers..my data base has a lot more column than I need .how can I make a template with just the columns I need. do I have to have a blank sheet when I import.

hope I get there soon
permenbg
bpermenter@gt.rr.com

Bobby,

You're not giving us much info here. Where is the data you're importing coming from? Is it a data file in comma delimited format? Is it coming from another Excel workbook?

If you are importing a comma delimited data file, and you're running Excel 2007, and you're not using a data parser, like Infotran, click the "Data" ribbon, then "From Text", then select the folder you have the data file in, then you will get an "Import text file" window, click the arrow in the bottom right where it says "Text files" and select "All files". This will cause all files in the folder to display, select the data file you want to import, click "Import". The "Text Import Wizard" will appear. Check "Delimited", click "Next", then check "Comma" then "Next", then under "Column Data Format", there are 4 check boxes, the "Date" box allows you to format all columns that contain dates (scroll to the right, selecting all date column headers and assigning the format you want dates to appear in, for each one). Below the "Dates" check box you will see "Do not import column (skip)". This allows you to select which columns you don't want to import, by clicking in the column header for each one and then selecting "Do not import column (skip)". Click "Finish", in the "Import data" window, select "Existing Worksheet", click the cell you want the data to start in. Click "OK".

permenbg
08-29-2010, 04:52 PM
I have accomplished the import ,I have ever thing I want in excel along with a lot stuff I do not want. how can I set it up to get just the data I need? al I have tried to delete all the extra stuff and save the sheet as a template. I think it tried to work a couple of times before it went back to all the data.

what I am trying to do is get a template made so when I import in it will only populate the columns I need. I have been told this is possible. maybe I need to filter in import some way .

any help or suggestion very much appreciated

permenbg
bpermenter@gt.rr.com

raybo
08-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Bobby,

A template will not do what you want to do. Templates are for formatting, not getting rid of columns or rows.

You can, however, "hide" columns. By right clicking the column label (letter) and selecting "Hide" the column(s) you have selected will disappear.

I would suggest that you use a specific worksheet to import all your data into. Then record a macro that includes hiding all the columns you do not want to see. Once the macro is recorded, you have a "one click" solution to your problem. Just place a button on the worksheet and assign the "hide columns" macro to it. Then every time you import data, click the macro to hide the unwanted columns and then copy and paste to another workbook, if you are adding data to an existing Excel database (it's called a "List").

So, you would have your database worksheet and your import worksheet with the macro button on it.

Does this sound like something that might accomplish what you're wanting to do?

raybo
08-29-2010, 08:10 PM
You could also "filter" your data to show only the data you want to see/use. The filtering process could also be recorded in a macro so you only have to manually filter the data the first time, after that just click the macro button and the filtering is done automatically.

raybo
08-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Or, you could just simply write referencing formulas that grab the data that you want and locate it in a particular area of the workbook, then copy/paste that area wherever you want (the copy/paste process could be recorded in a macro also.

permenbg
08-29-2010, 09:11 PM
raybo

will this work with 2003, or do you think i need buy 2007

thank for the help

bobby

permenbg
08-29-2010, 09:50 PM
raybo

the data is comming from the DRF, is in a comma delimited format.

bobby

permenbg
09-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Raybo

you are right the macro is the way to go . is there any place you know of on the web, where there are macros you can down load and edit them to work in my excel 2003 spread sheet. I need one to get rid of a lot of columns and
lines, any ideas

permenbg
bpermenter@gt.rr.com

raybo
09-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Raybo

you are right the macro is the way to go . is there any place you know of on the web, where there are macros you can down load and edit them to work in my excel 2003 spread sheet. I need one to get rid of a lot of columns and
lines, any ideas

permenbg
bpermenter@gt.rr.com

Bobby,

No, you don't need Excel 2007, 2003 will record macros.

I can record a macro that will hide a couple of columns and send you the code. Then you can just paste it into your own macro, add a button, and assign the macro to the button.

Have you ever recorded a macro before? If not, I can walk you through it, it's not difficult.

permenbg
09-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Raybo

thanks, no I have never done a macro before. I have read about them. I used excel a lot before I retired (8 years ago) and some of the excel is coming back. I will give it try,may have to call on you to answer a question or two.

thanks
bobby