PDA

View Full Version : Toga Party Experience

PaceAdvantage
08-26-2003, 01:38 PM
WOW is all I can say. What a great bunch of people. I couldn't have wished for a better bunch of guys and gals to hang with and play the horses. I will post more detailed thoughts later on my experience, but let me just say, everything GOOD you may have thought about anyone who showed up is TRUE, and anything BAD you may have thought was WAY OFF BASE!! LOL

==PA

keenang
08-26-2003, 01:47 PM
PA.
THANKS FOR THE UPDATE. KEEP US POSTED. HOPE YOU GUYS KILL EM.
GENE

JoeG
08-26-2003, 02:18 PM
Been busy since i returned from 'toga but wanted to also echo PA's thoughts: What a great experience! Everyone was terrific on my day up there (traver's day). Just being able to sit around a bunch of great guys and gals to talk horses and talk about life was enjoyable. Besides being able to put faces to names, it was fun sitting around and rooting for someone else's longshot to come in (suff's horse in the second I believe .

We pooled money together for a few exotics and could collectively root some ponies home. Spending $150 we would have cashed the pick 4 ($1800) but were shut out based on the lines and crowd. We regrouped and played pick 3s and cashed the first but lost the money when we let our winnings ride in the final race. Still it was a joy spending time with all these great people.

Special thanks to Mike for organizing the trip and PA for getting everyone together with this board. Also thanks to everyone else there (too many to name) for the fun day. Hopefully many of those who attended or couldn't attend will start getting together in the warroom (one of the things members talked about that day) to chat up horses (and other stuff).

To those still there, continued enjoyment. I hope to get up there on Friday for another day trip.

Joe G

John
08-26-2003, 02:55 PM
As I said on another post.

I am so apreciative of all the guys so far. it is rare that you meet strangers that are willing to give more than they receive to make it work.

John

Dave Schwartz
08-26-2003, 03:12 PM
This is the first chance I haver had to write anything. And I must make it quick.

I'll just say two things - Suff has done an unbelievable job. What a level of commitment.

Second - You guys that have not made it yet should try to find a way to come up this weekend. It is not too late. This is the greatest experience I have ever had at a race track. What a great bunch of guys. (And no "Naysayers." <G>)

The accomodations are way better than I expected. And Suff has arranged a tent for the entire trip! (uh, the tent is at\ the track.)

Understand that this is differnt than a seminar experience. (I have attended/given seminars.) This is WAY more fun. And you still learn. (Reid has taught me how to play trifectas, soimething I never had a clue how to do.)

And Suff is teaching me how to drive Boston style. (i.e. "lines don't count.")

Gotta go.

Dave

John
08-26-2003, 03:30 PM
Dave Schwartz, can he pick um, 2nd day he has a win and place bet on the $105.00 horse and the perfecta $612.00

Dave, You were was nice enough to tell all the members how you picked the $105.00 winner out of your contenders. Now Dave ,if you would write out that Math formula that you explain using the tote board to get value plays. we all will be winners.

Trijack, any TRi's yet, Bill, any winning bets yet. I hope so.

Winmanwin, go get um....

sam i am
08-26-2003, 07:04 PM
I live 20 minutes from the track so it was real easy for me to make it to the trackon Saturday. The question I asked was myself how long would I hang out with guys I never really had a 5 minute conversation with (my over/under was 2 races) As soon as I walk in the tent there is PA, Joe G, Andycap at a table within 15 minutes I know it was going to be lots of fun. when Mike showed up just as I invisioned what a great guy. Dave Schwartz shows up just before the 3rd race hits the next to races another great guy. I could go on and on. Needless to say I had a fabulous 10 hours so much so that Sunday I brought my wife and daughter up for about 5 races. I will be up again Friday and Saturday and can't wait. I don't think I could of had a better time.

David

David

John
08-26-2003, 07:16 PM
Ya Dave, thanks for fighting the crowd and getting our pick 3 in[ that we won ] if you had sent me I would have never made it.

John

IRISHLADSTABLE
08-26-2003, 10:15 PM
FIRST CHANCE I'VE HAD TO POST . HAD A BLAST , UNFORTUNATATELY HAD TO CUT THE TRIP SHORT .
SAT MORNING MARTY & JOE ( WINMANWIN) PICKED ME UP .
DRIVE UP GAVE ME A CHANCE TO GET TO KNOW THE GUYS .
TWO GREAT GUYS AND FINE CAPPER'S .

TRAVER'S DAY WAS GREAT. SUFF IS ONE HELL OF A HOST .

THE ACCOMMODATION AT THE TRACK AN AT WHISPERING PINES

WERE FANTASTIC . IT'S WAS NICE TO MEET THE FACES BEHIND

THE SCREEN NAMES. WENT TO BREAKFAST AT SARATOGA . TRACK PUTS OUT A NICE SPREAD AND YOU WATCH THE HORSES WORK OUT AS YOU EAT BREAKFAST .

ENJOYED MEETING EVERYONE AND HOPE THIS BECOMES AN ANNUALLY EVENT .

WELL GOOD LUCK TO EVERY ONE WHO IS GOING TO GO THIS WEEK AND FOR THE GUYS WHO ARE ALLREADY THERE
KNOCK THEM DEAD AT THE WINDOWS .

IN CLOSING I WOULD LIKE TO THANK MICHAEL ( SUFF) I JUST DONT THINK THERE ARE ENOUGH WORDS IN WEBSTERS DICTIONARY TO DO THAT .

GOOD NITE ALL

JIMMY / IRISHLADSTABLE

WINMANWIN
08-26-2003, 11:37 PM
First off, Mike aka (SUFFMAN) thanks again for your hospitality.
I didn't get a chance to say good bye to many, As I was talking
steeds till 2:30 am last nite, looking at the stars and literally
getting HOARSE.:o SO, when I awoke, many were off Golfing,
or Eating breakfast. I Enjoyed meeting Everyone, and I must say,
I felt Like I knew The Cappers for years. I Hope we can make it an Annual Event. To those of you that are arriving, The next few days, Prepare for a grand old time WIN or Lose. I'm only home roughly 9 hrs, and Miss the Cappers Already. :)

JustRalph
08-27-2003, 02:38 AM
Mike (Both Mike's)

and all the guys at Toga. I received the Fedex today.
You guys are a class act. I am flattered you guys thought of me. This one gets a prominent place on the wall. It made my week.

Great Autograph too! Thanks very much.

Ralph

Dave Schwartz
08-27-2003, 08:47 AM
WinMan left yesterday and I didn't miss him much (we were too busy, I guess). But today, as we got ready to go to the track for the "workout breakfast" I realized how much we would miss him during the race day.

Hey Win... there is still another weekend in this trip. Get your butt back here. <G>

Marty (HorsePower) and Jimmy (IrishLad) have left a void as well (Note that HorsePower and IrishLad were part of the WinMan Trifecta box.) We are interviewing for replacements today but don't hold much hope. Tough shoes to fill. (Heard that Marty was wearing bar shoes; he is 12/1 morning.)

OKay, so I admit that one reason I miss WinMan is that no fewer than 4 times he threw out horses I had picked among my contenders (3 of them under 5/2) and not a single one was a winner! One can always use that kind of help.

Classic WinMan quote here: "Am I right or am I wrong?" (spoken with a true Brooklyn accent.) Okay, you had to be here. You SHOULD HAVE been here.

The truth is that WinMan was an integral part of the whole "PA Getaway" experience.

This is your man-in-the-paddock interviewer signing off.

Dave

pat
08-27-2003, 09:04 AM
man from all the posts ive read it makes me wish i was there maybe this weekend
PS.. didnt i tell u suff was one helluva guy

BillW
08-27-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by sam i am
I live 20 minutes from the track so it was real easy for me to make it to the trackon Saturday. The question I asked was myself how long would I hang out with guys I never really had a 5 minute conversation with (my over/under was 2 races) As soon as I walk in the tent there is PA, Joe G, Andycap at a table within 15 minutes I know it was going to be lots of fun. when Mike showed up just as I invisioned what a great guy. Dave Schwartz shows up just before the 3rd race hits the next to races another great guy. I could go on and on. Needless to say I had a fabulous 10 hours so much so that Sunday I brought my wife and daughter up for about 5 races. I will be up again Friday and Saturday and can't wait. I don't think I could of had a better time.

David

David

Not to mention your 2 YO daughter giving you that 3 race parlay, 2 races cold and the third 2 deep. :D

Bill

John
08-27-2003, 09:57 AM
Hey you guys at the SPA. you can take those name tags off your chest . Everyone knows the PA boys in the tent by now after Sufferin $65.00 winner and Dave's$105.00 winner and Exacta $612.00.

Winmanwin [ joe ]I played the 1st time starter you gave me.He got off bad and had no chance......Next out will get the money.

Story: When I asked winmanwin if he was Italian, He said, " You kiding, is there something else to be. Am I right or wrong"

I will never forget this adventure.

John

PaceAdvantage
08-27-2003, 10:19 AM
The thing I remember fondly about WinMan was after (and before) the Travers, his saying regarding Ten Most Wanted (and I paraphrase here):

"Hey Mikey, FULL CUPS BABY, whaddiditellya????"

WINMANWIN
08-27-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
OKay, so I admit that one reason I miss WinMan is that no fewer than 4 times he threw out horses I had picked among my contenders (3 of them under 5/2) and not a single one was a winner! One can always use that kind of help.

Classic WinMan quote here: "Am I right or am I wrong?" (spoken with a true Brooklyn accent.) Okay, you had to be here. You SHOULD HAVE been here.

The truth is that WinMan was an integral part of the whole "PA Getaway" experience.

This is your man-in-the-paddock interviewer signing off.

Dave [/B]

Dave, Even a broken clock is right twice a day.:eek: That steed named ANDY BOY with the 2 BAR SHOES ON, in the last race Monday, BROKE DOWN, and was Destroyed. Trainer Tagg should have scratched that horse.

horsepower
08-27-2003, 11:15 AM
MIKE (Suff) and all the P.A. guys:

First let me say that I had a great time! Second let me say THANK YOU VERY MUCH to Mike Suff for his kindness, Hospitality, Genuine Good Nature. Mike: You really pulled it off! I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to say good-bye to all of you.

It was great to meet the boys from the board: Mike, Jimmy, Dave, Ken, Andy, Bill, Max, Joey, Mike pa, Louey, and all the other guys.

It wasn't a winning couple of days for me...But you can't put a price on the friendships I've made and hope to keep.

Thank for the Memories!
Marty Parisella:

WINMANWIN
08-27-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
The thing I remember fondly about WinMan was after (and before) the Travers, his saying regarding Ten Most Wanted (and I paraphrase here):

Hey Pa, That was only a 5/2 shot that WON. You gave me a 20 to 1, and An 8 to 1, to make the EXOTIC #. Good Capping;)

PaceAdvantage
08-28-2003, 01:38 AM
A huge thanks to Suff for making things happen and getting it done at the Spa. This guy is the real deal, and someone you WANT in your corner!! LOL

As for everyone else I met while I was there (and if I left someone out, I apologize profusely!!), in NO particular order:

Trijack - What a gentleman! Yes, he DOES use AllWays, and yes he DOES bet Trifectas!!! LOL The man with the wireless internet connection....

WinManWin A true character....and a lot of fun! This guy isn't afraid to tell it like it is, and tell it again and again!! LOL "Not for nuttin....."

Irishladstable Another gentleman, but did not get to talk to you all that much....hope all went well after the trip!

JoePrunes Came with his wife. A studious handicapper who uses the DRF, but is looking to branch out. Hit a nice one at the end of day 1.

Rocajack What a nice man. Came with his friend Charlie (not a board member) from Mass. Listened to everyone, and I listened to him!

SamIAm Very likable, knowledgeable, and "into" racing. Integral part of the Pick4/Pick3 fiasco!! LOL

JoeG Nice guy. One of the younger players there, and a user of HSH. Another Pick4/Pick3 participant...can't remember if he was one of the guys who wanted to cash in or let it ride...LOL

cryptic1 Kind of quiet, but fit right in from the beginning.

AndiCap Andy and I go way back....was nice to see him again.

DaveSchwartz What can you say??? Never met the guy before, but talked to him on the phone many times over the years. Second day in he has a Win/Place bet on a 50-1 shot, plus the EXACTA!! His program looks stronger than ever from what I saw. (Came with his friend Ken Klein...at least I think his first name was Ken...sorry if it is not!)

SufferinDowns Might just qualify as a legend yet! The man, on day one, sat down at the table for about 5-10 minutes, scoped out the 2nd race of the day on Saturday, watched the race unfold, then calmly shows me his $20 WP ticket on the 31-1 winner. Not to mention all the other great things he did for everyone....

BillW Another great guy, and the other one with a wireless internet connection. I have to give Bill a special big THANK YOU. You know what for Bill....

Maxspa Great meeting Max once again. Enthusiastic player who isn't shy about using a PC to aid in his handicapping.

jotb Came with his wife on the second day. Worked in the industry for a while...think he said he's looking to get back in one day.

Horsepower Didn't get to talk to you much, but seemed like a fairly studious player.

TonyK Good to see him stop by. Public selector is a good friend of Dave Schwartz.....

Bubbles The youngest of the group, Bubbles and his dad were very enthusiastic. Great to see a young guy with such a firm grasp on the game at that stage!

Buddah Did not get to talk to him much at all, except for a brief greeting. I think he showed up in the middle of my last day, which is the main reason I probably did not get to talk to him.

Railbird Came with his wife as well. Didn't get to talk much with him....

PurplePower Made the trip from Texas, and I'm glad he did. A genuinely nice man with tons of knowledge about almost every facet of the game. Every time he came back from his trips to the paddock, there was another one of us inevitably talking about how Reid knew which horse was going to run well just by looking at them.

Well, there you go. I hope I didn't leave anyone out. What a great 3 days I had. Too bad I couldn't stay up there longer, but work got in the way of a prolonged stay. Can't wait until next year!

Hope everyone who is lucky enough to be up there until the end of the meet cashes TON$ of tickets!!

Regards,

==PA

highnote
08-28-2003, 02:47 AM
I was skeptical at first about whether or not I'd have a good time with a bunch of strangers, but after 1 minute I knew I had made the right choice to meet up with the gang from PA. There is something about the comaraderie of horseplayers that us unmatched by any other group of people.

It was a real pleasure hanging out and having dinner. To be honest, chatting over a good meal was the best part of the day for me -- wild goose chase, notwithstanding.

Thanks to Alydar for picking me up and driving us to the track.

Suff did an outstanding job. I can't speak highly enough about him for taking on the job of putting the event together.

I hope we can do it again next year.

My best to Ken, Mike, Dave, Dave, Roger, Jack, Suff, Reid and to the other gents and lady whose names I can't recall. What a classy bunch of people.

-- John

John
08-28-2003, 09:54 AM
GOOD morning guys at Saratoga

To Quote Arnold Schwarzenegger :

Hasta la vista, baby - I'll be back! -
JOHN

PaceAdvantage
08-28-2003, 10:19 AM
Oh yeah, how can I forget....lol

Big thanks to 2/3 of the regular 30MTP team who were there or stopped by....John DaSilva of the NY Post and Kelly G. of NYRA....

Always nice to see them!! :)

Larry Hamilton
08-28-2003, 10:48 AM
Guys/Ladies, you all have my respect. You have, even if for only a day or two, become real humans responsible for what you have said and done. Not one has been mentioned unfavorably. Kudos

It is a lesson some on this board need to learn--It's ok to be an asshol, but only if you aren't hidding from the whopping your words may incur and you may deserve. Any less is a shortage of eggs.

David McKenzie
08-28-2003, 10:51 AM
I'll echo John's sentiments.

Saratoaga was beautiful with perfect weather and lots of camaraderie by those in attendance.

It was wonderful meeting some of you and putting faces to your screeen names. It's always interesting to see "imaginary" people become real.

Hearing two physicality experts, Reid (Purple Power) and Nick Mordin discuss the individual horses at the paddock was fascinating. They both saw "obvious" things that were way over my head.

And thanks for the coffee mug and pen, Reid!

I'd like to extend a special thank you to Mike (SufferinDowns) for organizing this marvelous shindig. Bravo!

John
08-28-2003, 10:58 AM
PA

Don't forget DEBBIE, from the sales Dept .A good looker and a Sweetheart. She and I arranged the table so we would have them together and the best view for the T V monitors. She also
came up with the Linen table cloth for our lovely Buffet.

horsepower
08-28-2003, 11:22 AM
This post is for you: MIKE==pa

Thank you for your kind words on the Toga Thread. I do want to say that I was a little apprehensive myself about spending several days with complete strangers. Remember I'm new to the PaceAdvantage board (2-weeks). But as soon as I met everybody, I felt like I've known these guys as if they were my friends for years. I'm glad Joe (winmanwin), who I've known all my life, made it possible through Mike Suff (the kindest man I've ever met) for me to come on the trip. And I to would like to reiterate the idea of making this a yearly event. Anyway Mike, it seems like you run a tight ship here at P.A. And you have a great bunch of guys and gals as members. Like you said, we didn't talk much at Saratoga, but I look forward to speaking/posting/E-mailing and most important LEARNING from all of you who are part of the PaceAdvantage Family.

It's a beautiful day to be alive and well,

Marty Parisella

SAL
08-28-2003, 11:28 AM
Wow, I wish I could have been there. Sounds like a great time was had by all. If this happens next year (let's hope) I will be there for sure.

Dave Schwartz
08-28-2003, 11:41 AM
Yes, now there does seem to be one thing left unsaid. You see, most people don't know that this get togther has "outed" PA. Up until now PA has always been able to hide who he is.

EDITED -- LOL

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

Dave Schwartz
08-28-2003, 11:43 AM
One more thing...

Reid (Purple Power) is going to discuss the PA trip on his broadcast tonight or tomorrow. Suff has asked that SOMEONE record it if possible.

Dave

Tom
08-28-2003, 11:52 AM
One more thing...

Reid (Purple Power) is going to discuss the PA trip on his broadcast tonight or tomorrow. Suff has asked that SOMEONE record it if possible.

Dave

Is that available on his webpage? Got to listen in.

Suff
08-28-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
:

Hey Suff... Am I right or am I right?!!!

You gotta be on herion not to use that horse!

Am I right?

WINMANWIN
08-28-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Sufferindowns
Hey Suff... Am I right or am I right?!!!

You gotta be on herion not to use that horse!

Am I right?

Too funny, I miss everyone, Wish I was still talking steeds with the troops.But, With this board I can. Anyway, as I told most, and
many that overheard my big trap. I forgot to mention my
Endeavor talking to this particular trainer Rene Araya. I met him
by the SHOE SHINE BOX, where the agents and trainers hang, by the racing office. I said Rene, like anything coming up, He didnt mention his Steed in the 6th, Who I think has a nice shot in the weed race with J. Velasquez, but he did give me this 30 to 1
Chilien steed named QUIET MASTER in todays tuff 7th. Got an Idea, someone Tip the shine guy and get the daily scoop.Have to think the trainers wouldn't steer the shoe shine guy wrong,
RIGHT OR WRONG ?:confused: If he cant speak english, Someone put an application in for me for next meet.:)

Bubbles
08-28-2003, 02:56 PM
Went up Monday. All the guys were great, and everything you hear about everyone else is exactly, perfectly true. Sorry I couldn't get up there for longer than one day, would have enjoyed more time up there. Thanks for inviting me, Suff. And Dave Schwartz?

"WE DON'T DO DAYCARE!!!!!!!!"

;)

If you haven't already, get up there before the meet ends. You're in for a great time.

cryptic1
08-28-2003, 03:09 PM
As a confirmed lurker I dropped by the festival tent with some
trepidation on Travers Day. Any fears I might have had were
quickly allayed by the warm greetings of Mr. S'Downs and the rest
of the crew. To an outsider it might have appeared that this was
a group of old friends, which truly indicated how easy our members melded together. The banter was lively and the exchange of information was complete. I only had the opportunity
to sit with the group for a few hours on Sat. and Sunday but I came away with nothing but positive feelings for those that I had the privilege to talk to.
Mr. S'Downs is every bit the vibrant personality that one senses
on reading his posts, however in person he is also generous and
genuine, the kind of guy that puts others at ease. I certainly salute his efforts in making this all happen.

cryptic1, back to lurking

cj
08-28-2003, 04:21 PM
Heading out to the airport now, more excited than a kid heading to Toys R Us!

CumberlandBluesHSH
08-28-2003, 04:47 PM
just spent the afternoon in my office - after spending Tuesday eve and Wednesday in Saratoga. Now.....a bad day at the track beats a good day at the office any time.....but I tell ya - even though I had a losing day yesterday, it was far from a bad day at the track. Really a fun group of people to spend the day with.

Thoroughly enjoyed meeting everyone - really wish I coulda stayed another day or two. Thanks to everyone for a good time - and especially to Suff for puttin' it all together - an unbelievable job of organizing everything.....well done my friend.

Tom
08-28-2003, 05:26 PM
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?

Rats! I should of thought of THAT before I left!
HeHeHe.......:eek:

Dave Schwartz
08-28-2003, 05:39 PM
Now Bubbles...

>>"WE DON'T DO DAYCARE!!!!!!!!"<<

You did notice that I was just kidding, right? You were a great addition. Glad you made it.

Dave

Bubbles
08-28-2003, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I can take a joke. Now if I could just hit a pick 6 I'd be all set.;)

Dave Schwartz
08-28-2003, 05:48 PM
And a word about Suff... This guy can handicap! I don't recall the details but he hit an exacta today that should have been quite a bit larger than the $329 it paid. He got the short end of what could have been a very big hit.

One time I looked at his tickets - they are like a rat's nest but are actually a great combination of giant shots and medium shots with a touch of hedge. Really creative stuff. He ought to discuss his strategies for tickets more.

And he seems to know breeding instinctively. As I recall, he picked the $20 winner in the first with a glance at the Form. Then he bets his opinion.

Very impressive.

Dave

WINMANWIN
08-28-2003, 06:30 PM
Someone Polygraph Rene Araya Please.:mad: Dont you love the honesty ??? He talks about some chilien bred, that has no SHOT, but, His steed in the 6th runs a Game 2nd. Guess he figured, no need to tout a co favorite.:confused: Anyway, Heres my battle scarred story for today.2nd race appears tuff. I play ex's and Quins, and Lose. I thought 2 could win. Gails drive the co choice did, and the fave ran 3rd. Next race, I play the PIK TREE'S. Jan Rushton REPORTS on the paddock preview The #3 Tynana is a runner, I like the turf pedigree and capped the steed this morning.
I go 2 deep with the Kimmel 1ster, and am debating, If I should
throw in Contessa for a saver, Who I was watching today. Funny
that trainer Contessa had 3 late gate scratches the past 2 days.
1 yesterday, and 2 in the 1st and 2nd race:eek: As we know,
The #3 WINS and pays a nice price with the contessa bomb for 2nd. Hey Suff, note the name of that steed.Fifty Three cards;)
To those of you who havent seen Suff's card Tricks, Ask him..
He's another David Blaine...BTW good hit Suff with that # dude
Did I hear Box Car's.:cool: O.k. 3rd is in the bank, On to the 4th
went 3 deep in this 75k 2 yr old maiden race, and keyed the # 7
real strong. Steed cost 100k at the sales and showed O.K. works
Again, Jan Rushton reported the steed is very versatile, :confused: I'll say, SARATOGA COUNTY was a Tiger today in that field and paid a great price with the meets leading rider.
On to the 5th, went 3 deep in a 6 steed N.Y. mdn race, The fortunes change here, This steed DOCS DOLL who I caught 3 weeks ago, in a pik 3 that paid $2700 On. I toss :mad: The steed
that made me a nice score 3 weeks ago, ruins me TODAY ! Multiple thousands Gone......:( When we were conducting the
capping 101 class in the cottage in the wee hrs of the morning, I said, My problem is when to Bet Ex's Pik 3's ETC. If I dont chase an exacta in the 2nd race today, I have the pik 3 that paid over $900 multiple times In the 4th with Saratoga County. Enuff Rambling, Just wish I could DROWN my sorrows with a nice Stiff
Cocktail after TODAY, with the Group. In essence, On the N.Y.C OTB show that is televised when N.Y.R.A. IS DARK, the host asks the question, WHAT HAVE WE LEARNED TODAY ? May I, Have your doubts when you question a trainer :confused: Listen to Jan Rushton with 1ster's, with the paddock prattle, It helps...And tread carefully when the last leg in your Pik 3's is a N.Y. statebred race.:eek:

WINMANWIN
08-28-2003, 11:04 PM
I hope you gents dont mind another shoulda,woulda story.
The liquor bottle is half empty, and I'm feeling to straight after
drinking doubles for 3 hrs. BTW, If anyone is having a Ruff
couple of days, and is feeling kinda down, just think of my
betting mishaps today, and you shall feel somewhat better.:p
After missing a nice score in the 5th, with the pick 3's. I still
had some sheckles left in my N.Y.C OTB ACCT. Frustrated, and battered, I was Gung Ho, on hitting the pick 3 in the next races.
I go 5 deep in the MDN Special Race the 6th. I go 5 deep in the
7th race, and 4 deep in the 8th. The otb teller, over the phone tells me, Do you know that you have to hit this pik 3 for over
$300 just to break even. I'm like listen Buddie, I appreciate your concern, but can you pls just insert the bet, I had a tuff beat in the last and am looking for some bombs, thank you very much.
:( The 5th goes just perfect, the Orseno steed comes rumbling
home to start the pick 3 at $60.00 buckos. Lesson time:eek:
In the 7th, I thought the speed of the speed was Devis Dust
dropping in class, and overall better beyers than Classy E.T.
Classy was stepping up, but likes the oval, and was the right play, Devils Dust was dusted and it cost me, as Gryder just lasts
in the 8th with a $33 buck Winner that I had In my last leg. The pik 3 pays over 7k....In Retrospect, I made some huge mistakes that cost me dearly today. As cappers, we learn all the time, the more we see, the more we remember and learn. I'm gonna lay low tomorrow, I'm horsed out today. But to those of you grinding them tomorrow, and the next few days. Stay Strong, and remember the Infamous sentence DAVE SCHWARTZ taught me.
" DID I MAKE THE RIGHT BET AFTER THE RACE ????? " Well, Yes,
and No !!! Now what ?????:D

Dave Schwartz
08-29-2003, 08:51 AM
WinMan,

>>" DID I MAKE THE RIGHT BET AFTER THE RACE ????? " Well, Yes,
and No !!! Now what ?????<<

Way to be decisive! <G>

Better luck today. Are you guys coming back at all this weekend?

Dave

John
08-29-2003, 10:06 AM
Mike, Dave, Bill, Jack I would like to make it back to wish you all a speedy and safe trip home.....Are you all staying untill the last race on closing day[ labor day ] If so I will shoot by Sunday or Monday.
Please, let me know.

Dave Schwartz
08-30-2003, 10:10 AM
RocaJack,

No, otday is our (Ken & I) last racing day. We leave early tomorrow.

Dave

WINMANWIN
08-30-2003, 11:23 AM
Dave, Have a Good Flight back, And Have Some longshots make your Tkt's Today !;)

horsepower
08-30-2003, 12:59 PM
Dave

It was great meeting you and ken, I will talk to you about your software sometime in the future. Have a great flight back to Reno, and keep hitting those LOONNGG SHOTS!!!:) :D

Marty Parisella

Buddha
08-30-2003, 02:19 PM
Just if anyone wants to see, I made a quick little site of some of the photos I took. To see them, you can check out http://home.comcast.net/~buddha61/togatrip.html

Just a warning for anyone on dialup. There are about 36 or so photos around 40k a piece, so please allow enough time to let them all load.

WINMANWIN
08-30-2003, 11:37 PM
Nice work. Sorry I missed some more fun with you Gents.
Suff, Did you reserve them cottages for next year now ? I hope so.
:D

Lefty
08-31-2003, 02:04 PM
Great photos. Only the last 2 didn't load(got that little box with the little red X.
Nice to put some faces with some of the names.

so.cal.fan
08-31-2003, 02:17 PM
Great pics!
I sure hope you have this event next year. I would really consider abandoning Del Mar and flying out to NY. I have never been to Saratoga and have wanted to go visit nearly all my life.
Thanks for sharing everyone.:)

Pace Cap'n
08-31-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
Great photos. Only the last 2 didn't load(got that little box with the little red X.
Nice to put some faces with some of the names.

Right click on the "X", left click on "show picture"

freeneasy
08-31-2003, 03:18 PM
what so. cal said for me too.

Tom
08-31-2003, 05:45 PM
I already can't wait!
It was awsome-the weather was perfect, the food was good, the company was great and SOME of the horses were fast. The 3 a little tooooo fast....if only my 6-7 ran 1-2 instead of 2-3!
Oh well.

When I got there, I couldn't fing the group-went to the wrong tent. Some hoity-toity jerk in a tuxedo! was manning the enterance. I told him I was with either Mike Dudley or Paceadvantage-wasn't sure which name. He lloked as his list and was really snooty and said he had never HEARD of Paceadvantage! I told him I thouhgt he looked like a Yahoo! kind of guy (hehehe).
Tried the tent in front of the clubhouse-same story, but this guy actually went out of his way to help me-even gave me his list and asked me if there were any names on it I recognized. No luck, but he told me about a third tent at the top of the stretch-literally, at the top of the stretch, where they turn for home, so off I hiked.
BYW, trivia here-did you know that the Saratoga stretch is 6 and 1/2 miles long?!?!?! (huff puff)!
NO ONE THERE!?

What to do-go walking around looking for people I did not know what they looked like? Yep. I saw a photo of Suff here once- slight idea what to look for. Probably a Red Sox cap.
So I walk around the track fo about an hour, looking and looking. I had a notebook wtih my printouts in it, and the back cover was a copy of my monkee avatar, so I keep holding it up to the crowd, like a limo driver at the airport looking for his fare. I thought someone would recognize it and say sometheing. Several people did say something, but I can't print that here!

So finally I decide to go back to the parking lot and call Suff on the cell phone. I got him - he and CJ were literally on the track behind the starting gate when he answered! So he gave me directions to a fourth tent-one I had actually walked by on my way out and not even realized it was tent! (The mark of a good handicapper is that attentioin to details! LOL)
You can't miss 'em, says Suff-tent is almost emtpy except for 6 guys sittng around laptops drinkin beer!
So I walk up to this tent with a bucnh on guys sitting around laptops and hold up my avatar...."Anyone know this guy?" I shout out.
Dave Schrawtz stands up and says, "YOU must be Tom!"
I met all the guys that were still there,, and what a nice bunch of people-everyone of them. Seemed like I had known them a long time. Had a great time and made some money, and went home well fed. Best day at the track in 20 years, easily.
Next year.....I stay a few days.

Dave Schwartz
08-31-2003, 10:28 PM
Well, I am back home now. And a might exhausted, but happily so.

A ten day trip to Saratoga! I can't believe I actually did this.

And Suff was right... If I hadn't bought the airline tickets when the idea was first presented I doubt that I would have followed through.

Side comment: Told my wife that. She immediately bought tickets to New Orleans for the eBay convention next year. (They have a race track there, right? <G>)

Suff, thanks again.

Dave

PurplePower
09-01-2003, 02:00 AM
Side comment: Told my wife that. She immediately bought tickets to New Orleans for the eBay convention next year. (They have a race track there, right? <G>) You BET they do - and a fun one only 6 hours (by pick-up truck) from where I live and 30 minutes from my oldest son's house. What are those dates? I could plan a trip to visit three of my grandkids during that time. I know the exhausted feeling as Saturday I could not get motivated to do more than the required handicapping. How could Saratoga have been any kinder than to have a $300K plus carryover for their pick six into their final day.

BillW
09-01-2003, 08:37 AM
Sunday they gave away t-shirts ... I think attendance was higher than on Travers day. The place was so crowded that they could hardly find a place for us. They finally stuck us way down at the end of the stretch at the clubhouse turn in a small building called a luckshuree box. I thought they were mad at us! They told me they still liked us though. Even gave me a free program. :D

Ended the week with the three lone holdouts (Trijack, suff and myself) going out for a birthday dinner for suff.

Jack is now on his plane home, suff is on the road and I am in Albany and getting ready to play the last SAR card here at the hotel.

Life is tough ... now for the hard part. Goin' home.

Bill

Suff
09-01-2003, 10:48 AM
Thank to a man and woman....for joining me at Saratoga.

When I was 18, I sailed across the North Sea by myself , From Rotterdam, Holland to Colchester England (the Birth place of my Family name). Then I Went Railroad all over England for a week...Landed in London for 4 days, I went south from there...and on August 4th 1978 I hustled myself BACKSTAGE where I watched LED-ZEPPLIN live in concert at Knebworth , England.

These Last 10 days replaced that memory at the TOP of my list of The Greatest Time of my Life.

Thanks to everyone that attended. I wish I could properly express how much it meant to me that you all came.
Some Read History...Some write it. Put down your pens. We wrote a Master Piece.

My Dad would be proud. He always challenged me to go one step more. I did. And We did.

Mike

Suff
09-01-2003, 11:13 AM
We have over 250 Digital Pictures and some Digital Video we'll get around to sharing after Trijack and PA do thier thing...In the meantime I'll share a few to wet your whistles...

Without Permission from the people in the other photo's ...Most of these include only me and/or scenerey for now

Here I am , standing in the 4 Path on the INNER TURF with 10 minutes to post for RACE 2 on Friday. Then I loaded them up !!!(kidding) but I did stand behind the gate Just on the Hedge with CJ and watch them Load and run....

Yup... I had the winner for 40.00 and the TRI...8-10-9 ,, CJ had him to...he missed a 20 EX by the 10 Middling the 9. I 8-all'd-10 for a small shot and score!!

King of the World Baby!!!

Suff
09-01-2003, 11:19 AM
Go For Wands Grave Site ...Just Past the Finish line.

Only Her and FOUR STAR DAVE are buried in the Saratoga Infield.

Saratoga Trivia. All ThoroughBreds are Buried with only thier HEAD, HOOFS and HEART in the Ground. Four Star Dave was Buried whole.

Suff
09-01-2003, 11:22 AM

John
09-01-2003, 11:26 AM
2nd Trip to the TOGA party

I am back home now after taking CJ Milkowski to the airport and seeing him off. What a nice guy.If all our military people are like him. This country is in good shape.

The night before Cj, Mike , jack, Bill and I all went downtown to B'way in Saratoga,Ten O'Clock and the streets were jammed with people .It felt like I was at Disney world waiting for the fie works to go off. Suff got a table at the sports bar on the sidewalk. We all had dinner and watched the people having a great time. Then we with the the Court Yard and had a after dinner drink. It was Midnight and place was jumping. I felt like a kid again

How do we pay Sufferin back. Well you can't! The best think to do is to keep him in your prayers and hope that he never loses his pep and vitality for life. He is truly a remarkable person. To know Sufferin is to like him and you will never forget him. Suff, thanks for a great adventure. God willing I Will be with you next year.

John

Suff
09-01-2003, 11:40 AM
Suff and a Few from the PA gang out to see the Jerkens Stock.

Suff
09-01-2003, 11:45 AM
Suff gets a Lift over to the Clubhouse with THE GIANT KILLER.

That 7 horse that day? Jerkens horse. The $53.00 dollar winner? His trip was eerily simliar to the Trip I suggested at this SIT DOWN....probably a coincidence?

BillW
09-01-2003, 12:46 PM
According to the Albany Times-Union, T-shirt day (yesterday) beat out Travers day attendance by almost 2000 at 68,029. Only "Clock giveaway" day (8/17/03) topped yesterday (71,337).

If you are sensing a trend here, you are right ... new meet record for attendance even before the last day.

Bill

cj
09-01-2003, 01:07 PM
WOW...what an awesome time! It will take me some time to figure out how to repay Mike for everything he did, if I even can. Best time a guy could have asked for or ever expected.

Observer
09-01-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Sufferindowns
Only Her and FOUR STAR DAVE are buried in the Saratoga Infield.

Saratoga Trivia. All ThoroughBreds are Buried with only thier HEAD, HOOFS and HEART in the Ground. Four Star Dave was Buried whole.

Correction:
Fourstardave is buried at Claire Court ... alongside Mourjane and A Phenomenon.

That head, hooves and heart thing has always bothered me .... Secretariat was another left whole .. and I know there are others .. just can't recall exactly who.

BillW
09-01-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by BillW
According to the Albany Times-Union, T-shirt day (yesterday) beat out Travers day attendance by almost 2000 at 68,029. Only "Clock giveaway" day (8/17/03) topped yesterday (71,337).

If you are sensing a trend here, you are right ... new meet record for attendance even before the last day.

Bill

Sorry for quoting myself, but I should mention that on giveaway days, some people buy multiple admissions. The above attendance figs are "turnstile" figs. Nothing was given away on Travers day.

Bill

horsepower
09-01-2003, 05:32 PM
To Mike Suff and All who Attended The Saratoga Party:

First of all, I hope everybody made it home OK and with money to spare. If not, they can never take away the memories of a great time with GREAT people. I'm sorry I had to leave so early. Somehow I feel cheated because I didn't meet all the people who came after I left. I also missed out on some great festivities as well.

As far as I am concerned, Mike (Suff) is one of a kind! Mike they broke the mold, if you know what I mean! I don't know how to repay such kindness with words. From the minute I met Mike and the PA people in the festival tent at Saratoga, I felt like I was with old friends that I haven't seen in a while. And Mike was front and center to make sure that everything was running smoothly. He made sure that everybody had a place to stay, He arranged for the food and beverages, the teashirts, He did the right thing so we had the festival tent for the time that we did. I remember once, I left the tent for what seemed to be a long period of time, (my cousin saddled a horse in one of the races that day) and when I got back Mike said: "where did you go we were worried about you, next time let me know when you're going to be gone for a while." I mean where do you find people like that!

I to, God willing, look forward to next years trip.:D

Sincerely,

Marty Parisella

Tom
09-01-2003, 06:55 PM
Suff,
You like you were bred for turf! ;)

Now you guys know what I mean when I say I picked him out a crowd at 100 yards! That red cap was a dead give away.

Mike,

THANKS!

Zaf
09-01-2003, 08:06 PM
I was only able to stop by for a couple of hours on Saturday and didn't have much time due to many other things going on right now. But I have to say in that short time I met a bunch of teriffic guys. SUFF is the KING !!! CJ, ROCAJACK, TRIJACK , BILL W and DAVE SCHWARTZ are DA BOMB. What a great bunch of guys.

Again sorry for the very short visit as I didn't arrive till the 5th Race on Saturday and I had to tail out of town quickly. Next August, I will be sure to reserve more time for this experience.

Late , Darrell (aka ZAFONIC)

Zaf
09-01-2003, 08:10 PM
AND......

THANKS TO SUFF, for his incredible generosity, being a great host and just a super nice guy !!!!!

ZAFONIC

Vinnie
09-01-2003, 08:15 PM
Fellas, I wish that I could have met everybody, but, I just couldn't catch up with you guys! You guys sound like you had such a BLAST!! I was there with my wife and kids today since it was the last day for a few of the races and unfortunately I didn't get a chance to meet you guys.. :>(

Hopefully, this next year I will get the chance to hook up with you all.

All the BEST;

Vinnie

andicap
09-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Well, Travers Day was a great one with the group -- regretful that I could only spend one day up there although I got about a month's worth of advice from Dave Schwartz. The man is one of the most generous people I have ever met -- with the exception of Mr. Sufferin himself. (Thanks for the t-shirt although I didn't have the guts -- smarts -- to wear it in Boston last week.)
And what a handicapper! 2nd race, hits a 31-1 maiden and then buys everyone dinner -- class act all the way.

Just a great day all around and if we do it again, with any luck I'll be able to spend 3 days next year.

everyone else I met were nice as hell and I just had a real good time.

BTW, if anyone tries to tell you there wasn't a huge speed bias on Travers Day tell them they don't know horse racing. Bet against these horses on their return and upgrade horses that tried to make moves but couldn't.
(NOTE TO SUFF: The horse you bet and lost is on the top of my horses to watch list next out.)

Red Knave
09-02-2003, 11:13 AM
Just wanted to add one more note to the many, many that have thanked Suff for the experience last week. What a great time and a great group.
It was astonishing and reaffirming to see how well people of like minds but different opinions can get along. And even make a buck or two.

Bob from Niagara

aka

BillW
09-03-2003, 10:06 AM
On the way home from the airport yesterday, just a little after noon I stopped by a friends restautant for lunch (I had nothing to eat in the house except for a couple'a pissed off cockatiels that I abandonded two weeks earlier, but there is not much meat on them :D ). I was telling her about the trip and before I knew it, I had the laptop out on the bar showing her a few of the pictures. A half dozen southern comforts and a few hours later later we had reviewed the whole set of pictures and I was vacationsick (isn't that the opposit of homesick? :)). I finally made it home in time to get out for dinner about 6:00 PM.

BTW, to Jack and the other amateur Photogs, she was very complimentary of the skill shown in the camera work.

Bill

Trijack
09-03-2003, 02:20 PM
To All

My son is helping me set up a webb site for all to view over 200 pictures. We are using Photoshop to reduce pics in size and adustments where needed.

Also I took a lot of notes and will try to get my version of what it was like to meet Suff and spend 10 days with the (King of Toga) and all the other board members that were there. Gee What a guy. When he makes up his mind to do something it usually happens. Hope to have the pics posted by tomorrow .

Jack K

Suff
09-03-2003, 03:02 PM

Claiming Routes
09-03-2003, 05:39 PM
Saratoga:

Well, it has taken me a few days to recoup from the jet lag and catch up on things here in Reno that have had to wait while I was at Saratoga. I admit that I have been a bit of a stalker and not registered on PA, but after meeting all the great folks at Saratoga I just felt that it was mandatory to become part of this community. I was there simply because I am a friend of Dave Schwartz. I have seen in a couple of post that guys weren’t sure about the greeting they would get not knowing the people personally and from my point of view for sure not being a PA member, but it only took a matter of seconds to be like old friends. Thanks to everyone for their acceptance and fellowship and of course being there with what seemed to be the hottest handicapper in the world did not hurt. I have never seen anybody hit soooo many long shots and big exactas. After that demonstration I am going to have to crank up my copy of the Horsestreet Handicapper and give Dave’s system a shot. This was an absolutely fantastic experience. A big THANKS to Suff for all that he did. I don’t know what more he could have done to make this any better. It was the experience of a lifetime and something I would have never had the chance to do without Suff. We really need to take advantage of these opportunities when they come along because we never know what life offers or will take away. If you could not be there this year I would very strongly suggest that you make every effort to make it next year. Suff I have seen many posts praising you for the fantastic host that you were and it seems that all the words are used up so I will simply say THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!

Ken

Suff
09-03-2003, 08:19 PM
Bubbles , Backing up Suff's Handicapping theorys!!

Tom
09-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Glad to see you are joining us...and nice to meet you in person, too.

Caption for that pictuure two up....

"That's him, officer - number four! That's him!" <G>