PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone Downs

joanied
08-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Well, this is the closest thing to racing I can get in Wyoming...Billings, MT. is about 90 miles from us...several weeks ago Billings had a tornado...it did a lot of damage the big sports building at Yellowstone Downs, the Metra, it was severly damaged...it's amazing the grandstand for the track didn't sustain any damage at all, neither did the run down, crappy barn area.
I'm amazed the Paulick Report has any news about the meet.
http://billingsgazette.com/sports/more/article_c23ac0ca-b0d6-11df-8bec-001cc4c002e0.html

here's their fabulous:rolleyes: web site...
http://www.yellowstonedowns.com/index2.php?id=stakes

If someone can explain to me how to get photos from your computer into a post here, I can post a couple of photos of the track...it's not to be missed:D

Any support via wagering at Yellowstone Downs would no doubt be appreciated by the folks that run the meet, and the horsemen!!

mannyberrios
08-27-2010, 12:51 PM
:1: Hello! That is a far cry from Belmont!

joanied
08-27-2010, 01:02 PM
:1: Hello! That is a far cry from Belmont!

:lol: Ya think!! We usually go one time, to support the horsemen...I don't know how those guys pay the bills...
and when we do go, beleive me, my mind wanders back to Belmont Park and the incredible times I had there.

But, as they say...better than nothin', eh;)

Bettowin
08-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Kinda like this place? This was the first time in 106 years there was no racing:(

http://www.anthonydownsraces.com/AboutUs/AboutUs.htm

Shelby
08-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Kinda like this place? This was the first time in 106 years there was no racing:(

Don't'cha just love the voters in the great state of Kansas? :rolleyes:

joanied
08-27-2010, 05:08 PM
At least at AnthonyDowns (which I never heard of) says it has (had) a beautiful grandstand...you should see the one at Yellowstone Downs:ThmbDown: :D

bane
08-27-2010, 06:00 PM
From the only picture I have seen of i; it looks like an old stock car grandstand.

InTheRiver68
08-27-2010, 10:21 PM

Anthony Downs! Where we don't know how to spell "mutuel"!

(see upper left of their home page)

- InTheRiver68

Track Collector
08-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Never been to Yellowstone Downs yet. Visited Great Falls last year, and Missoula and Kalispell this year. I greatly enjoyed all three Montana tracks.

Luck enough to attend Anthony twice. The first one by myself, then a return visit which included the wife. She loved the small town (racetrack) flavor. I hope Anthony returns next year.

These tracks are MUCH better than places like Santa Anita and other large commercial tracks.

BlueShoe
08-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Well, this is the closest thing to racing I can get in Wyoming.
Is there still a weekend summer meet at Wyoming Downs in Evanston? From the Yellowstone area it would be a very long trip to Evanston in the SW corner of the state, so might not be worth the long drive.

Java Gold@TFT
08-28-2010, 01:13 PM
My one handicapping tip after years of going to the Great Barrington Fair in MA is to bet any horse off a 49 week layoff that is less than 5-1. That's how the farm people pay some of their bills. Of course there won't be a published workout but damn, they can sure get a horse in shape pulling some farm equipment. Also never be afraid to bet a jockey who either needs to be carded to get a beer or a jock who is eligible to be in AARP.

joanied
08-28-2010, 03:46 PM
My one handicapping tip after years of going to the Great Barrington Fair in MA is to bet any horse off a 49 week layoff that is less than 5-1. That's how the farm people pay some of their bills. Of course there won't be a published workout but damn, they can sure get a horse in shape pulling some farm equipment. Also never be afraid to bet a jockey who either needs to be carded to get a beer or a jock who is eligible to be in AARP.

:lol: Yeah...when we go to a day at the races at Yellowstone Downs (usually for my birthday on 9/10)...all I do is bet the loooong shots...you can't really handicap these races, my brother & husband try :faint: ...and the jocks...they may as well be carded or belong to AARP...because none of them have any courage...the turns at this track are sharp, and you can see the jocks pulling back when they hit that turn...or take a trip to the outside rail :D ...but, all this just makes it a fun day:ThmbUp:

joanied
08-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Is there still a weekend summer meet at Wyoming Downs in Evanston? From the Yellowstone area it would be a very long trip to Evanston in the SW corner of the state, so might not be worth the long drive.

I don't think Wy. Downs is running...but if it was, it would be too long a drive (and a bore of a drive too) to get over there...just not worth it!!

MickJ26
08-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Hey Joanie.
I was looking at the charts.
They card races for 5 1/4 furlongs.
Seems like an odd distance.
Is that how the track is configured?
Thanks.

andymays
09-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Big finish at Y-Downs

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/more/article_30418400-c473-11df-83cc-001cc4c03286.html

Excerpt:

With the season’s largest crowd of 5,110 lining the rails and filling the grandstands, the eight-day Billings meet — held over four weekends — ended on a strong note on a sunny afternoon with its top betting handle of $109,086.

“On a scale of zero to 10, it would have to be a 10,” race director Ben Carlson said of the meet. “It went great.”

saevena
09-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Strange! I was at Yellowstone Downs 09/11 and 09/12 and found the grandstand seating and view of the races to be about the best I've ever seen. The atmosphere was great, people were having a great time, and the racing was extremely formful. I saw no jockey shenanigans, either. Highly recommended.

BlueShoe
09-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Hmm, 5000 plus fans only wagered a bit over 100k? Montana handicappers must be very patient spot players, that is only 20 bucks per fan for the day. Will assume that the crowd count includes kids and teenagers that were with parents, so the actual per capita betting average would be much higher. In any case, good to see a positive racing story.

thespaah
09-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Don't'cha just love the voters in the great state of Kansas? :rolleyes:
Please explain..

joanied
09-20-2010, 08:46 PM
:jump: Great news that Yellowstone Downs had a good meet and great final day!!

As I had mentioned, we always drive up there for at least one day...but unfortunately we had a special early sugar beet harvest this year...so we couldn't make it up last weekend as we'd planned...but I'm realy glad it was a success...this way, next year with a little luck, they'll run again and maybe add another weekend.

You have to understand about the bettors that go...there just isn't a lot of money to spend...the crowds there are mostly locals, farmers, ranchers, Native Americans...plus, like most tracks, they price the food & drink items way too high.
I'd sure like to see them get enough money to fix up the backstretch area...the barns are falling apart and there isn't a blade of grass back there.
Someone asked about the configuration of the track...they have a long chute for the QH races, and I beleive the track is a little more than 1/2 mile around...abd narrow...turns are sharp, and beleive me, I have seen many of the jocks pulling back entering that turns...but, who cares...it's always a fun day going to the races.

I have some photos, so tomorrow, when I have a little time, I'll post a few here...you guys will enjoy seeing the place:)

joanied
09-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Here ya go...took these a few years ago, but nothing has changed. The track is within the Metra Park Sports Complex. You can see the track & field blacktop track inside the horse track...you can't see the barns really well, but beleive me, they are in dire need of fixing up...I beleive the track is 1/2 mile around, and although it may not look like it in the photos, the turns are fairly sharp...the QH chute is 440 yards to the wire from the starting gate...even the starting gate is an antique...the grandstand is plenty big enough, has 3 levels and the saddeling paddock in on level one inside the grandstand...the entire grandstand could use fresh paint and a little modernization...but, as they say, it does serve the purpose!!

joanied
09-21-2010, 12:57 PM
last ones...

saevena
09-21-2010, 04:31 PM
The 5 and one-quarter furlongs races are run around two turns and one the days I was there, there were at least as many fans at the paddock as there are at Laurel. They also had an outstanding seminar with 3 handicappers before the races.

joanied
09-21-2010, 05:33 PM
The 5 and one-quarter furlongs races are run around two turns and one the days I was there, there were at least as many fans at the paddock as there are at Laurel. They also had an outstanding seminar with 3 handicappers before the races.

I'm glad to hear that the crowds were good (not sure how many turn out at Laurel anymore:) )...and the handicapping Seminars are something new, and I commend them for doing that...great idea:ThmbUp:
I'm sorry we weren't able to get up there this year, but harvesting part of our crop of sugar beets took priority...we probably won't have an early part harvest next year...so we'll be there.
Did you get a good look at the barn area...it's just awful, depressing, and even though the meet is only a few weekends, they really need to get some work done on that 'backside'.

do you mind me asking where you live? (ya don't have to answer)

Shelby
09-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Please explain..

In 2007 Sedgwick county voters rejected slots which, in turn, kept our Greyhound Park closed....which meant that our only OTB site was also kept closed.

Word is that the ballot was worded so that it was misleading.

http://www.kansas.com/2010/05/07/1304420/senate-rejects-new-slots-vote.html

saevena
09-28-2010, 12:30 PM
I live in Northern Virginia. I was given a tour of the Yellowstone Downs backside some years ago by the Office Manager, who is a friend of mine, and it wasn't great. You can't have everything, I guess.

joanied
09-28-2010, 12:59 PM
I live in Northern Virginia. I was given a tour of the Yellowstone Downs backside some years ago by the Office Manager, who is a friend of mine, and it wasn't great. You can't have everything, I guess.

You're a long way from Montana:) ...if that office manager is still there, you could mention, as a friend, that the barn area needs a facelift...it's probably worse now. I cringe everytime I pass by there, and feel bad for the folks and the horses that have to stable there...and it's a miracle there has never been a fire back there...I'd bet the electrical stuff is in just as bad a shape as the barns.
ya know, if they could find some money to fix that place up, including the grandstand, and with thr track itself, at least a better inner rail...they'd not only get more folks going to the races, but it might attract more horsemen...I'm probably pipe dreaming, but it would be so great to have one classy race track in this part of the country...
but like you said....ya can't have everything....in this case, that is a bummer!!