PDA

View Full Version : 8th race debacle at Ferndale 8/22

Stillriledup
08-23-2010, 02:56 AM
This was the 3rd leg of the closing day Fitty Cent pick 5 at The Fern. The 8 horse, PENA (CA) was fractious in the starting gate. The rider hopped off as the gate crew was trying to settle down the rambunctious filly. She was 3-1 or 5-2 strong second choice in the betting and a main speed in the race. For some reason, the gate opens before the jockey is on the horse and away they go. PENA (CA) runs loose around this bullring riderless. Meanwhile, the 4-5 shot gets the lead and goes wire to wire with a 10 length lead all the way never in doubt.

PENA (CA) didn't interfere with anyone and all her bets were refunded, which made the 4-5 winner go down to 2-5 after the race.

Watch the race on the headon at calracing, you can see Pena run at full speed right into the fence and off the track in a cloud of dust. I don't know if patrons were near this part of the track, but if they were, there could have been injuries. I'm not sure what happened to PENA (CA), hopefully she's ok, she went thru that fence pretty hard. I wouldnt' be too happy if i was her owner, i think i'd be sending Ferndale Racing Assn my vet bills.