PDA

View Full Version : The Longacres Mile

OTM Al
08-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Not what it used to be, but they put it in my racing form and it looked more interesting than anything else in there, so why not.

I know in this race the home town runners often have an edge, but I have to go with the only import on top. Gallant Son has the most class in the field, so I have to put him on top despite his somewhat shaky form at the distance. I also like Teide for win honors. The million dollar gelding, Burj Dubai intrigues me as well, so will use him underneath. The company and post may be a bit much for him though. So the bet is the standard one though, 8/9+12 and a (8+9) box.

46zilzal
08-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Burj Dubai has not learned to rate at all and has to break from 12. I was there one year when Shoe flew in for the race and could not make the first turn from 12 and pulled up his mount.

Dino, the trainer, is a very nice guy and the owners have put massive $$$$$$ into the game.

Burj is below

Both Teide and Burj can get the front end here but can they hold it long enough? The late movers are Almost Time (another from the same barn and a good one) and Gallant Son.

46zilzal
08-22-2010, 02:00 PM
On further evaluation, Gallant Son's only really good lines come from the late late biased Pro-Ride surface

toetoe
08-22-2010, 03:44 PM
Winning Machine

I forgive him for the debacle two back. Will trip out today, making Frankie Duran sorry that the owners told him, "No mas." With Inoel, this one's bona fide, beatified, even.

Senor Rojo

Shotless in Seattle. Video on uptrack.com.

Wasserman

2008 winner (?) will need a golden voyage.

Jersey Town

Second race back, Kriggs says he'll ride. I don't love him, but I can forgive you if you do.

Noosa Beach

Brilliant record, but at a low price he goes no higher than 2nd or 3rd for me.

Gallon

Love the trainer, love the price. However, midpack finish only.

Almost Time

Much to like here. Teide has beaten him twice, but I'm forgiving this guy. I expect a peak effort today at huge odds. Much preferred over his vaunted stablemate ( :rolleyes: ).

Gallant Son

One of my locks to finish up the track. He needs turf, and at 5/2 he is underlaid to the brink of celibacy.

Teide

Like :5: , his fine record will depress his odds below fair value. Minor placing only, please.

Davos

Miracle needed. For Baze votaries only.

Assessment

Won this last year from post 12 !!! :eek: . Gotta love; just don't gotta bet.

Burj Dubai

Remarkably unimpressive Canajun, considering all the DRF shouting. Toetoe predicts this one will prove to have the heart of Shylock. Another lock to finish way uptrack.

Win: :1: .

Backup win: :7: .

Ultimate/penultimate/antepenultimate triactor: :2: , :12: // :2: , :8: , :10: , :12: // *.

RXB
08-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Gallant Son

One of my locks to finish up the track. He needs turf

4 wins from 5 tries on this very EmD dirt surface as a 2YO.

toetoe
08-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Checking right now. Coming right back. :) .

toetoe
08-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Anybody have any PP's going back that far ?

46zilzal
08-22-2010, 05:06 PM
4 wins from 5 tries on this very EmD dirt surface as a 2YO.
Two year old form means zip as a mature animal

RXB
08-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Anybody have any PP's going back that far ?

Lost his first race, then won four in a row including three stakes.

What PP's are you using? Most show the horse's record at the track he's running on today.

RXB
08-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Two year old form means zip as a mature animal

Congratulations on completely whiffing on the context of what I wrote.

RXB
08-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Not what it used to be, but they put it in my racing form and it looked more interesting than anything else in there, so why not.

I remember handicapping/watching the Mile in the late 80's & early 90's, when the Cali barns were shipping up the likes of Simply Majestic, Louis Cyphre and Ibero for the race. The purse was as big then as it is now, so at that time it was a good chunk of change and made shipping worthwhile. Even in the mid-90's they sent up the occasional good horse (Isitingood, Hesabull). Not anymore.

toetoe
08-22-2010, 05:44 PM
What PP's are you using? Most show the horse's record at the track he's running on today.

Okay, I see the earnings box stuff. I just meant the past performances.

I did shortshrift him with a pithy "handicap" ... :rolleyes: . I guess I mean I won't touch him in a non-turf race, unless odds are huge.

Good observation, and thanks for indicating the record, which I should notice all along. :) .

beertapper
08-22-2010, 06:22 PM
I remember handicapping/watching the Mile in the late 80's & early 90's, when the Cali barns were shipping up the likes of Simply Majestic, Louis Cyphre and Ibero for the race. The purse was as big then as it is now, so at that time it was a good chunk of change and made shipping worthwhile. Even in the mid-90's they sent up the occasional good horse (Isitingood, Hesabull). Not anymore.

still a pretty good chunk of change for a dirt mile, plus a BC win and you're in race.. one of the last BC races for the dirt mile division..

RXB
08-22-2010, 07:17 PM
20 years ago it was big money. Now, it's okay but not enough to entice anything like the three horses I mentioned previously, or Judge Angelucci, or Skywalker. Essentially just a local race now.

46zilzal
08-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Emerald Downs Distaff appears between :3: Christmas Ship and :4: Summer Song

46zilzal
08-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Emerald Downs Distaff appears between :3: Christmas Ship and :4: Summer Song
Hurray Chad Hoverson Swift Thoroughbreds (connections of Almost Time, Teide and Burj Dubai) and Dino Condollinios with Kimmy.

The last thing I said to Chad Friday night was good luck Sunday and it started.

46zilzal
08-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Track is on the early side today

toetoe
08-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Moron this tomorrow, but it looks like my antifecta was spoiled by :9: , another Dino charge ( :rolleyes: ), who just didn't fire today. He almost refused to enter the gate.

46zilzal
08-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Teide lost all chance by being cantankerous, a first time thing, at the gate....Good to see the locals horse win.

toetoe
08-22-2010, 09:29 PM
No, it was :6: , Gallon running last.

Burj Dubai at 7/1 was almost as bad as Rick's Natural Star at 60/1 in the B.C. Turf. :D