PDA

View Full Version : The Toy U Never Got

bigmack
08-21-2010, 09:00 PM
I wanted a BB gun, no dice. I heard the same story as the kid in Christmas Story heard, You'll shoot your eye out.

I shifted my focus to this little bundled unit. A Tommy gun and a snub-nosed 38 for a 9 year old. But nooo.

aMqd5EQXD-g

Had to settle for RockemSockem Robots.

What a gyp :ThmbDown:

CryingForTheHorses
08-22-2010, 07:19 PM
I always wanted some of the "Jungle Jim" stuff and also wanted that GIJoe cannon,We were poor as churchmice growing up so I always got a picture from a catalog.Would always watch the toy ads on tv..Never forget "Boy oh Boy its a hasbro toy"

bigmack
08-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Around 8-9 I was torn on what I wanted to be when I grew-up. I found a commemorative FBI book on John Dillinger and couldn't get enough of the guy. I convinced 'The Old Man' to drive me to some of the banks he knocked-off so I could get a up close & personal feel for the life & times of Johnny D. I even had 'em drive me to the Biograph Theatre to see the bullet holes in the building where JD was gunned down. Dillinger was one cool cat to me and I was convinced I was destined to live a similar life.

Push came to shove & I ended-up a few months later settling on a career in law enforcement. I took note of a number of drivers who continually ran a stop sign not too far from our Casa in the Northwest suburbs of Chi-Town. I would regularly 'patrol' the stop sign and chase after said violators and document their license plate number. I confronted a few but they thought I was a nuts.

At night I would ride my bike around the neighborhood writing down the licenses plates of cars parked in driveways. I would then get the local phone book and started a file of every street in a 20 block radius. I had to go through every listing but when I found one on one of 'my streets' I wrote it down. I could then start a database and have the corresponding cars with their license plate number assigned to an address with names of again, the aforementioned violators.

This lasted for about a month when one evening when I was going from house to house on my bike writing down license plate numbers a squad car stopped and asked me what I was doing. I gave them a detailed report of how I was assembling a database of cars and that I patrol the area. You know, kinda helpin' out... After they stopped laughing they told me that it really wasn't necessary that they had 'a pretty good handle on things'. I was traumatized.

'Bout 3 weeks later I had noticed a downed bird house and my gut told me it was a clear cut case of vandalism. As I was busy with patrol for that afternoon I had to recruit my older brother onto the force. I gave him a badge to flash that I bought at Ben Franklin and a clip board. I asked him to go over, ring the bell and say he was with the Community Crime Prevention Network and he needed to ask some questions about the vandalized bird house. He did so with great reluctance.

Went over, rang the bell, flashed the badge, asked the first question and the woman at the door said, Oh son, we took that down to clean it! I remember distinctly sitting at home trying to figure out what to do about a repeat offender who I had seen run a stop sign when my brother came in, (rather miffed) threw down the clipboard and badge and said "I'm off the force"

About a month later I found a stethoscope at a garage sale for a buck and decided to be a doctor. I then spent hours at the local library with a book about forensics that included gruesome pictures of shot-up gangsters.

And so it goes...

http://kjzz.org/news/arizona/archives/200906/johndillinger/johndillinger.jpg

TJDave
08-22-2010, 10:05 PM
My favorite toys were the Gilbert erector and chemistry sets. I doubt you could find modern versions, though. There's probably some law against it. :mad:

Pace Cap'n
08-22-2010, 10:54 PM
"My family was so poor that if I hadn't been born a boy, I wouldn't of had anything to play with."....Rodney Dangerfield

mostpost
08-22-2010, 11:48 PM
I always wanted one of these.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU9UGVjxvyE

woodtoo
08-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Great story BigMac,nice to recall how those 'developing minds"work :lol:

Around 8-9 I was torn on what I wanted to be when I grew-up. I found a commemorative FBI book on John Dillinger and couldn't get enough of the guy. I convinced 'The Old Man' to drive me to some of the banks he knocked-off so I could get a up close & personal feel for the life & times of Johnny D. I even had 'em drive me to the Biograph Theatre to see the bullet holes in the building where JD was gunned down. Dillinger was one cool cat to me and I was convinced I was destined to live a similar life.

Push came to shove & I ended-up a few months later settling on a career in law enforcement. I took note of a number of drivers who continually ran a stop sign not too far from our Casa in the Northwest suburbs of Chi-Town. I would regularly 'patrol' the stop sign and chase after said violators and document their license plate number. I confronted a few but they thought I was a nuts.

At night I would ride my bike around the neighborhood writing down the licenses plates of cars parked in driveways. I would then get the local phone book and started a file of every street in a 20 block radius. I had to go through every listing but when I found one on one of 'my streets' I wrote it down. I could then start a database and have the corresponding cars with their license plate number assigned to an address with names of again, the aforementioned violators.

This lasted for about a month when one evening when I was going from house to house on my bike writing down license plate numbers a squad car stopped and asked me what I was doing. I gave them a detailed report of how I was assembling a database of cars and that I patrol the area. You know, kinda helpin' out... After they stopped laughing they told me that it really wasn't necessary that they had 'a pretty good handle on things'. I was traumatized.

'Bout 3 weeks later I had noticed a downed bird house and my gut told me it was a clear cut case of vandalism. As I was busy with patrol for that afternoon I had to recruit my older brother onto the force. I gave him a badge to flash that I bought at Ben Franklin and a clip board. I asked him to go over, ring the bell and say he was with the Community Crime Prevention Network and he needed to ask some questions about the vandalized bird house. He did so with great reluctance.

Went over, rang the bell, flashed the badge, asked the first question and the woman at the door said, Oh son, we took that down to clean it! I remember distinctly sitting at home trying to figure out what to do about a repeat offender who I had seen run a stop sign when my brother came in, (rather miffed) threw down the clipboard and badge and said "I'm off the force"

About a month later I found a stethoscope at a garage sale for a buck and decided to be a doctor. I then spent hours at the local library with a book about forensics that included gruesome pictures of shot-up gangsters.

And so it goes...

http://kjzz.org/news/arizona/archives/200906/johndillinger/johndillinger.jpg

Marshall Bennett
08-23-2010, 12:14 PM
As a kid I alwaays wanted a go-cart or a mini-bike . All the rich kids had the good stuff and if we were lucky they'd share , which wasn't often .
Yeah Dave , chemistry sets and such are history , as are so many other cool toys . My sister had one of those little ovens that baked . I'm sure they're gone as well .