PDA

View Full Version : Hunch/superstition plays

WinterTriangle
08-21-2010, 06:55 PM
I've been reading Malcolm Gladwell's "Blink: How to think without thinking".

I put the book down to go to dinner last night, where the subject of parental wisdom came up. I shared the wise advice I get from my Mom.

Woke up this morning, saw my mom's name coupled with the word "wisdom" on a race at Woodbine. (Mom's name isn't real common). Horse was Justine's Wisdom. I thought: How could I NOT play this? :D

I had to ignore my practical "thinking" urge, which said, longest shot in the field, 35-1. I just closed my eyes and placed my win bet. Paid $79.00 for each $2 bet.

Doesn't hurt to risk $5 or $10 pocket change when all the "woo woo" stuff, and so many subconscious prods, lines up just so perfectly. :D

Pell Mell
08-21-2010, 07:27 PM
My father died in 1959 at the young age of 47. Some months later I was sitting at the breakfast table with the form. Somewhere in the conversation my mother mentioned my father and said "He was my star".

When I got to the Garden State entries I saw a first time starter named Jen's Lost Star and my mother's name was Jenny. I talked her into going to the track with me that day for her very first time. We put $200. bucks on his nose. He sprinted to the lead and got collared in the stretch by 2 horses. My mother is screaming, "Come on George" (my father's name) and damned if it didn't come back and get up. Paid $26. Honest to God true story. And my mother never went to the track again.

PS...I built and drove stock cars for 30 yrs and my mother would never go to watch me race till my last year of racing when I was 47. The night she came I won the feature and that was my last race.

beertapper
08-21-2010, 08:01 PM
i think dick mitchell wrote that every now and then you gotta satisfy the little imp, so a $2 stab here and there...why not...

gotta have some fun sometimes..

Overlay
08-21-2010, 08:29 PM
i think dick mitchell wrote that every now and then you gotta satisfy the little imp, so a $2 stab here and there...why not...

gotta have some fun sometimes..

As the saying goes, "You should make a bet every day, because you might be walking around lucky and not even know it."

eastie
08-21-2010, 08:41 PM
true story....go to Chicago to see the Dead inearly 90's, when Deoin Sanders was playing for the Reds. Get to the airport and my buddy who's at his fiance's house in chigago is supposed to pick me and my brother. Call the house, no answer. call again rings 10 times, my friend answers and says he has no car, her father needed it to do emergency brain surgery. So we rent a car and head for Arlington. On the way we hear the dead doing Let the Good Times Roll. It was a tune played maybe once a tour, and never played on commercial or any other radio for that matter. We get to the track and at Saratoga is a hoss named Letgoodtimesroll running. He's 23-1, but is 2-2 at the Spa. I keep hearing the dead playing Might as Well in my head, so i bet. he wins an awesome headbob and we pay for the whole trip right there. @nd row seats a Wrigley too.

duncan04
08-22-2010, 03:57 PM
I wonder how many had this hunch play. Didn't play it but thought it was interesting. lol

7th race - Monmouth Park - August 22, 2010

Pgm Horse Win Place Show
3 Mywifenosevrything 6.20 4.00 3.00
7 Thewifedoesntknow 5.20 3.80
11 Miss Tallahassee 7.60

$2 Exacta 3-7 29.40

PhantomOnTour
08-22-2010, 04:05 PM
I wonder how many had this hunch play. Didn't play it but thought it was interesting. lol

7th race - Monmouth Park - August 22, 2010

Pgm Horse Win Place Show
3 Mywifenosevrything 6.20 4.00 3.00
7 Thewifedoesntknow 5.20 3.80
11 Miss Tallahassee 7.60

$2 Exacta 3-7 29.40
Tiger Woods?

illinoisbred
08-22-2010, 08:59 PM
I guess one could have had both, the Beverly D,and the Arlington Million winners on a hunch. Eclair De Lune( read as Claire De Lune) was a impression era composition by Claude Debussy. And who wins the Million-Debussy. Almost a real hunch because his birth anniversary is today,Aug.22nd.

WinterTriangle
08-22-2010, 10:01 PM
I guess one could have had both, the Beverly D,and the Arlington Million winners on a hunch. Eclair De Lune( read as Claire De Lune) was a impression era composition by Claude Debussy. And who wins the Million-Debussy. Almost a real hunch because his birth anniversary is today,Aug.22nd.

That is really amazing, ib.:jump: :eek: Double checked his birthday, you're right, August 22nd!!!!!

Debussy (and Chopin) is one of my favorite composers, I have his Preludes for piano. His music was in The Right Stuff (one of my fav movies about chuch yeager) and Down and Out in Beverly Hills, etc.