PDA

View Full Version : Why do jockeys still ride the slow rail (inside)?

Zippy Chippy
08-21-2010, 06:35 PM
U see it all the time. A horse full of run. They get to the stretch the jockey can go inside or outside and they choose the inside. Once they do that I feel like they are done. (Perfect example the 4 horse Saratoga race 11 today). Why is the outside so much faster? Its seldom you see a horse fly up the rail and win.

kenwoodall2
08-21-2010, 06:39 PM
The "outside" is actually the middle where the crown (high point for water to drain to both rails) is. "The dirt track can dry quickly, but must do so horizontally. The water runs down from the crown of the track and turns the inside few running lanes into a lake." (Because it is sloped both ways fron the middle or outside or crown so the water AND CUSHION moves away from it.

Zippy Chippy
08-21-2010, 06:43 PM
The "outside" is actually the middle where the crown (high point for water to drain to both rails) is.

Do jockeys not know that by now??? Its one thing I will never understand. I would never go inside when there is a choice to go outside. U always flatten out

senortout
08-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Do jockeys not know that by now??? Its one thing I will never understand. I would never go inside when there is a choice to go outside. U always flatten out
It's also the shortest way around. Your horse was 4 th choice selection wise and the race ran very true to form!

My horse ran a wide third........who knows........really now?

Zippy Chippy
08-21-2010, 06:53 PM
It's also the shortest way around. Your horse was 4 th choice selection wise and the race ran very true to form!

My horse ran a wide third........who knows........really now?

I didn't bet the race. I just saw him flying and even durkin noted how he was flying. Its one thing if u are riding the rail to the lead but its hard to close from behind up the rail

Tom
08-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Did you see the Arlington Million today?

Overlay
08-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Ainslie had an anecdote in one of his books (I think it was Theory and Practice of Handicapping) about Jorge Velasquez winning race after race in New York in the 1960's by noticing that the middle of the track was faster than the rail (due to drainage characteristics), and also possessing the riding skill to reach the wire first, despite taking the "overland route" to get there. Apparently, none of the other riders had the combination of perception and talent to capitalize on the situation to the extent that Velasquez did.

billyball
08-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Tell that to Calvin Borel----But one time heard a rumor the track superintendent at Churchill Downs was his cousin or friend or something like that. The Sup would make sure that he made the inside hard and compacted to give Calvin the Golden Rail.