PDA

View Full Version : corner the market on stupidity?

46zilzal
08-20-2010, 11:13 AM
(CNN) -- In less than a month, Pastor Terry Jones of the Dove World Outreach Center in Florida plans to host "Burn a Quran Day" to mark the ninth anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

The pastor, author of the book "Islam is of the Devil," is using the burning to urge American Christians to "stand up" to what he describes as a monolithic Muslim threat. A Facebook page for the event has accrued thousands of "likes" and Jones has said people have been mailing him Qurans to burn.

WHERE IS YOUR FREAKIN SOURCE LINK FOR THE ABOVE CNN TEXT 46ZILZAL? YOU CAN'T SIMPLY COPY AND PASTE COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL HERE AT YOUR DISCRETION!!!!

City of Gainesville reaction http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978455412

46zilzal
08-20-2010, 11:39 AM
from the news article the mayor speaks:Mayor Craig Lowe, called the Dove Center a “tiny fringe group and an embarrassment to our community.”

ArlJim78
08-20-2010, 11:42 AM
I wonder what would happen if the Dove World Outreach center tried to open a community center near the 9/11 site in Manhattan. I'm assuming they would be greated with open arms and a lump in his throat by Mayor Bloomberg? I mean since there is this new wave of religious tolerance sweeping the land, or is that a one way street?

boxcar
08-20-2010, 12:28 PM
I wonder what would happen if the Dove World Outreach center tried to open a community center near the 9/11 site in Manhattan. I'm assuming they would be greated with open arms and a lump in his throat by Mayor Bloomberg? I mean since there is this new wave of religious tolerance sweeping the land, or is that a one way street?

46er can this Christian outreach "Dove World Outreach" relocate and establish a church/community center in Mecca or Medina? It would be pretty stupid of MUSLIMS, if they wouldn't allow this, don't you agree?

Boxcar

bigmack
08-20-2010, 12:38 PM
If you go to their website it states:

We offer free shelter and food for women who want to escape from Islam.
That's neat. :ThmbUp:

jballscalls
08-20-2010, 01:08 PM

i'm all for religious intolerance of all kinds

TJDave
08-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Burning books...excellent!

I hope they get the opportunity. I also hope all who support their efforts stand up and be counted. The world needs to witness how true Christians behave. :rolleyes:

boxcar
08-20-2010, 03:23 PM

I hope they get the opportunity. I also hope all who support their efforts stand up and be counted. The world needs to witness how true Christians behave. :rolleyes:

You sound as though you know what "true Christians are". Can you support what you think you know from scripture?

Boxcar

boxcar
08-20-2010, 03:27 PM
If you go to their website it states:

That's neat. :ThmbUp:

Actually, it's not so neat from a biblical perspective. This group reminds me of what the bible describes as people having the form of godliness but also lacking the power thereof. Or stated differently, they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with true knowledge. :ThmbDown:

Boxcar

ArlJim78
08-20-2010, 03:51 PM

Count me then. I support their Quran burning, but I don't belong to any religion so you can't put me down in the true Christian column.

It's time to stop back pedaling and draw a line in the sand with this death cult before western civilization becomes a mere historical footnote. If they're offended because I support burning their book which calls for beheading and conquering non-believers, too bad. It's called free speech and in this country they'll just have to tolerate it.

TJDave
08-20-2010, 03:58 PM
You sound as though you know what "true Christians are".

Could care less. However, it's obvious that Dr. Terry and Sylvia Jones think and intend to act as if they Know. ;)

Can you support what you think you know from scripture?

Again, not my scripture, not my business. My concern is not with what Christians believe but in how they behave.

So...Do you support burning books? Do you stand with the good pastors Terry and Sylvia Jones...or against them?

kenwoodall2
08-20-2010, 04:02 PM
People like to destroy what they are afraod of and is closed to. Why not read it and prove it wrong?

TJDave
08-20-2010, 04:15 PM
If they're offended because I support burning their book which calls for beheading and conquering non-believers, too bad. It's called free speech and in this country they'll just have to tolerate it.

Supporting free speech and book burning. :rolleyes:

46zilzal
08-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Book burning of ANY kind brands you as a true idiot

Destruction of property is not free speech.

TJDave
08-20-2010, 04:26 PM

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/ww2-pix/book-burn.jpg

bigmack
08-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Christians should take a lesson from them Muslims. Get into some of that fire bombin' as well. YeeeHa.

The 1988 publication of the novel The Satanic Verses, by Salman Rushdie, provoked angry demonstrations and riots around the world by followers of political Islam, some of whom considered it blasphemous. In the United Kingdom, book burnings were staged in the cities of Bolton and Bradford. In addition, five U.K. bookstores selling the novel were the target of bombings, and two bookstores in Berkeley, California were firebombed.

46zilzal
08-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Ideas, concepts, theories, facts, narratives, stories, manuscripts, notes, philosophy and.or religion, parallels, historical accounts etc etc. reside as OBJECTIVELY neutral words on pages of any published work in the world.

The reaction to destroy, rather than simply disregard these neutral words, is what brands one a stupid thug.

TJDave
08-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Christians should take a lesson from them Muslims. Get into some of that fire bombin' as well. YeeeHa.

Quote:
The 1988 publication of the novel The Satanic Verses, by Salman Rushdie, provoked angry demonstrations and riots around the world by followers of political Islam, some of whom considered it blasphemous. In the United Kingdom, book burnings were staged in the cities of Bolton and Bradford. In addition, five U.K. bookstores selling the novel were the target of bombings, and two bookstores in Berkeley, California were firebombed.

You're suggesting that Muslim bombing and burning of books they disagree with was a good idea...One that Christians should emulate? :rolleyes:

boxcar
08-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Could care less. However, it's obvious that Dr. Terry and Sylvia Jones think and intend to act as if they Know. ;)

Again, not my scripture, not my business. My concern is not with what Christians believe but in how they behave.

So...Do you support burning books? Do you stand with the good pastors Terry and Sylvia Jones...or against them?

My question to you had nothing to do with what Christians believe but had everything to do with the standard YOU use to determine what constitutes genuine Christian behavior. Since, by your own admission, scripture is not your business, then how in the world would YOU know what represents genuine Christian behavior? Against what, specifically, would YOU measure behavior in order to determine if it reflects biblical teaching or apostasy or heretical behavior? If you're going to condemn a behavior by a group of professing Christians, I would think you'd want to do that on more solid ground than the shifting sands of ignorance.

Boxcar

PhantomOnTour
08-20-2010, 05:21 PM
My question to you had nothing to do with what Christians believe but had everything to do with the standard YOU use to determine what constitutes genuine Christian behavior. Since, by your own admission, scripture is not your business, then how in the world would YOU know what represents genuine Christian behavior? Against what, specifically, would YOU measure behavior in order to determine if it reflects biblical teaching or apostasy or heretical behavior? If you're going to condemn a behavior by a group of professing Christians, I would think you'd want to do that on more solid ground than the shifting sands of ignorance.

Boxcar
Ooooooh, how intelligently insulting of you.
Do you or do you not support the burning of the Quran? Simple question. I do not support this burning ceremony.

TJDave
08-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Who am I to argue? ;)

My question to you had nothing to do with what Christians believe but had everything to do with the standard YOU use to determine what constitutes genuine Christian behavior.

I have no standard nor would I ever attempt to define genuine Christian behavior. That is for Christians to decide.

Since, by your own admission, scripture is not your business, then how in the world would YOU know what represents genuine Christian behavior?

I don't. YOUR scripture is none of MY business. I'm responding, specifically in this case, to this self-professed Christian behavior of book burning. Christians + Book burning = Christians who burn books.

Against what, specifically, would YOU measure behavior in order to determine if it reflects biblical teaching or apostasy or heretical behavior? If you're going to condemn a behavior by a group of professing Christians, I would think you'd want to do that on more solid ground than the shifting sands of ignorance.

These people label themselves as Christians and legitimize the behavior of book burning as part and parcel of what they believe. I take them at their word. It is their onus to substantiate these actions based on their beliefs, scripture, whatever... Not mine.

Again, do you stand with, or against them? Are they Christians? Is this Christian behavior?

Who better than you to tell us?

boxcar
08-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Ooooooh, how intelligently insulting of you.
Do you or do you not support the burning of the Quran? Simple question. I do not support this burning ceremony.

You mean you, too, do not know if that behavior would be sanctioned by scripture? Maybe instead of focusing on "book burning" you should direct your energies more constructively to the Good Book reading. The answer lies therein.

However, I would to God that all God-hating materials written by the enemies of God would be "burned"...but that is not for me personally or for the Church to determine or act upon. My sentiments, however, are thoroughly supported in principle by scripture to wit:

Matt 5:27-30
27 "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall not commit adultery'; 28 but I say to you, that everyone who looks on a woman to lust for her has committed adultery with her already in his heart. 29 "And if your right eye makes you stumble, tear it out, and throw it from you; for it is better for you that one of the parts of your body perish, than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30 "And if your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off, and throw it from you; for it is better for you that one of the parts of your body perish, than for your whole body to go into hell.
NASB

So, I now ask you Mr. POT: Is it better for spiritually dead sinners to hold their "sacred, holy" books close to their bosom and to read and study them with great zeal and religious fervor at the ultimately high price of losing their souls for all eternity in the next? Your call. You tell me.

Boxcar

bigmack
08-20-2010, 07:08 PM
d.[/i]You're suggesting that Muslim bombing and burning of books they disagree with was a good idea...One that Christians should emulate? :rolleyes:
You're darn tootin'. I will not stand by and see Christians out maneuvered by Islamo's when it comes to displays of protest using mayhem. They've got to ramp it up to have any effect.

Then again...I kid because zilly started the thread with an implication that Christians have a 'corner on the market of stupidity'. :rolleyes:

We must be tolerant of stupidity. How else could zilly still be posting here?

toetoe
08-20-2010, 07:19 PM
I defend the right to bookburn, flagburn, aspirin.

Lady (after medicine fell out the bus window): "Oh, my aspirins ... my aspirins !!!"

Busdriver: "G#% d@~`)+, lady ! Stick it out the window 'til it cools down, and be quiet !"

boxcar
08-20-2010, 09:03 PM
Who am I to argue? ;)

Have you never heard of heretics or apostates? How do YOU know they're true Christians? YOU made a value judgment based on what others think about themselves, instead of judging them on more objective criteria that is knowable. What someone else believes about himself can pretty subjective, don't you think?

Have you not read?:

Matt 7:1-5
"Do not judge lest you be judged. 2 "For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. 3 "And why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4 "Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye? 5 "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.
NASB

Again, do you stand with, or against them? Are they Christians? Is this Christian behavior?

How many times do I have to answer this? Or in how many ways? Do you have reading comp problems? Hint: Scroll back in this thread.

Who better than you to tell us?

Well...you finally got something right. ;) However, who am I to say if they're really Christians? What I think about their behavior is one thing. That I can judge whether it is Christ-like or not. But it's quite another thing to make bold, sweeping pronouncements about one's spiritual state when that can only be known by God himself. I don't know enough about this group to even say they're likely not true believers. The best I can say is that they're misguided.

Boxcar

PhantomOnTour
08-20-2010, 11:22 PM
So, I now ask you Mr. POT: Is it better for spiritually dead sinners to hold their "sacred, holy" books close to their bosom and to read and study them with great zeal and religious fervor at the ultimately high price of losing their souls for all eternity in the next? Your call. You tell me.

Really? Say what? Look, you can scripture talk me all you want. I was simply re-asking a question posed by another poster about whether or not you support the burning of the Quran. I have stated already that I am not in favor of this burning. You needn't preach down to me with your Ecclesiasites and your Deuteronomies. You see, your interpretation or views on Biblical scripture don't mean jack squat to me...and somehow I don't think I am alone in stating that.
Don't you see? You are the 46Zilzal of religion-speak and Bible talk! Too damn smug and knowledgeable to even consider that things may not be the way you see them. Always the expert.....always upon the pedestal of higher knowledge...always speaking down to us ignorant sinnin' fools :lol:

boxcar
08-20-2010, 11:38 PM

Really? Say what? Look, you can scripture talk me all you want. I was simply re-asking a question posed by another poster about whether or not you support the burning of the Quran. I have stated already that I am not in favor of this burning. You needn't preach down to me with your Ecclesiasites and your Deuteronomies. You see, your interpretation or views on Biblical scripture don't mean jack squat to me...and somehow I don't think I am alone in stating that.
Don't you see? You are the 46Zilzal of religion-speak and Bible talk! Too damn smug and knowledgeable to even consider that things may not be the way you see them. Always the expert.....always upon the pedestal of higher knowledge...always speaking down to us ignorant sinnin' fools :lol:

Someone has to show you smug,, holier-than-thou, pompous, know-it-all, condescending liberals the path. Might as well be me rather than some over-zealous, religious, ignorant whackjob. But IGNORANCE is what you prefer to true knowledge, isn't it? If it's worldly knowledge you seek, you need not ask me anything. You can ask virtually anyone on this forum for that kind of nonsense and get your ears tickled. ;)

Boxcar

PhantomOnTour
08-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Someone has to show you smug,, holier-than-thou, pompous, know-it-all, condescending liberals the path. Might as well be me rather than some over-zealous, religious, ignorant whackjob. But IGNORANCE is what you prefer to true knowledge, isn't it? If it's worldly knowledge you seek, you need not ask me anything. You can ask virtually anyone on this forum for that kind of nonsense and get your ears tickled. ;)

Boxcar
You calling someone else condescending!? Now that's rich. :D

Tom
08-21-2010, 12:33 AM

Destruction of property is not free speech.

It is if you own the book.

ArlJim78
08-21-2010, 08:20 AM
I see where this guy is receiving death threats from around the world, and his church has been vandalized. These folks so concerned about the rights of books not to be burned are a real nice bunch aren't they.

boxcar
08-21-2010, 10:14 AM
You calling someone else condescending!? Now that's rich. :D

I had to. After all, liberals are notoriously known for projecting their faults unto others. ;)

Boxcar

boxcar
08-21-2010, 10:21 AM
I see where this guy is receiving death threats from around the world, and his church has been vandalized. These folks so concerned about the rights of books not to be burned are a real nice bunch aren't they.

Those who worry about their books being burned -- if they had half a chance, these devotees to the Religion of Piece(s) would probably burn his church down.

But again, these professing Christians are at best misguided. They are heaping trouble upon their own heads. Christians aren't called of God to agitate and stir up dissension among themselves or unbelievers. They're going about this all the wrong way.

Boxcar

alytim
08-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Those who worry about their books being burned -- if they had half a chance, these devotees to the Religion of Piece(s) would probably burn his church down.

But again, these professing Christians are at best misguided. They are heaping trouble upon their own heads. Christians aren't called of God to agitate and stir up dissension among themselves or unbelievers. They're going about this all the wrong way.

Boxcar

Do you own a mirror?

boxcar
08-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Do you own a mirror?

Have you ever posted anything that made any sense? :rolleyes:

Boxcar