PDA

View Full Version : Lesson Learned

Show Me the Wire
08-23-2003, 11:18 AM
I learned a lesson yesterday about sharing knowledge. The culture of this board is ingrained in me. Because of this community, I have become comfortable with people sharing opinions and information with each other.

Yesterday, I wanted a change of pace so I went to my local OTB instead of the tack. I am known at the OTB but the usual crowd was not there. No problem though, because I wanted to relax and play a few races.

Shortly after my arrival I noticed a man playing Saratoga and he lost a few races. After losing another race he approached me and engaged me in a discussion. I guess he was venting and needed someone to listen because he just lost another wager. He could not believe a horse coming off an extended layoff could win going 1 1/8.

Well due to my lack of understanding of his needs and my propensity to assist (PA mindset), I probably said the wrong thing. I expressed my opinion it is not so unusual now because of equine medical advances, which allow horse to be trained into racing shape coming into a race, without the need for a tightener. End of first conversation.

After a short time passed and a few more losing wagers, the man approached me and asked about a certain race at AP and if I could believe a particular horse had such low odds and every other horse had such low odds. He could not understand why the favorite was being bet off a losing performance. I explained the favorite ran on a dead inside last time and really had no chance last out. I further explained I thought the favorite would win easily with a semi-clean trip and after that I thought the race was wide open, except for one specific horse. I told him this specific critter was so sore the jock refused to ride him about 10 days ago and the critter was a gate scratch. I further expressed the opinion the horse looked sore today and probably should not be racing today. As it turns out the conversation starter wagered on the one specific horse I felt was sore. The specific horse made what looked like the beginning of a winning move at the top of the stretch and inside the 1/8 pole looked like he was ready to fall down and the favorite won easily. End of second conversation.

I made a phone all to a friend asking about a specific horse and what the trainer thought about the horse today. I wanted to know if the horse had been training well. My friend said everything was fine, but the trainer was afraid of two other horses in the race. I pointed out to me friend the trainer only had one horse to worry about as the other contender seemed to stop running when he switched leads last out. I further strengthened my opinion something was amiss because immediately after the race the horse was given about a month off and the trainer dropped this horse in this return race for its first ever tag. Watching the horse in the post parade, I was certain this horse posed no threat to the eventual winner.

I believe this gentleman who approached me before may have overheard some of my telephone conversation and when he saw my selections cross the wire he took his DRF flung it in the waste receptacle and walked out the door. When I saw him toss his DRF and leave I felt badly because I honestly tried to assist this man by sharing my opinion with him. I felt badly because, I believe if someone talks to you or you begin a conversation with particular stranger there is a reason, meaning you or the other party are intended to communicate some helpful information. Instead I feel he thinks I tried to show him up.

My lesson. Do not share insights or opinions with anyone outside of this board, except for my friends. Do not try to assist others at the OTB understand the game; just agree with his or her statements. When he asked me if I could believe that a horse could win a route off an extended layoff, I should have responded, “Wow really I cannot believe it.” and when he asked me about the wagering public being so dumb to make this certain horse a favorite I should have responded, “ What dummies, who do you like?”. From now on I will.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

GameTheory
08-23-2003, 11:39 AM
A guy at the track once told me that he was given the winning pick-6 numbers in a dream (for some day in the past). So I said, "Boy, I wish that would happen to me. You bet them, right?" He said, "No -- I knew they were going to win, but I thought it was an evil spirit [or the devil or something, forget what he said exactly] trying to corrupt me, and I knew I shouldn't listen." So I just nodded and said, "Oh, ok, I see."

Wonder what he was trying to communicate?

Terry Riggs
08-27-2003, 12:23 AM
SMTW

Great post, how right you are. I usally just agree with the know it all and go my own way. If you offer any advice you lose either way. If the horse wins he just replys he was suppose to win. If the horse loses you're an idiot.

A lesson learned from the esteemed Dick S.

Regards,
Terry