PDA

View Full Version : Question for those of you who wager via phone/web.

craigbraddick
08-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Hi People:

I am doing a little survey into peoples wagering habits and would appreciate any feedback from PA members.

1. If you opened a new wagering account and as part of the wagering account you were offered the option of having FREE picks and form analysis (in essence a tip sheet but with more analysis of form) delivered to your email In-Box every day, is this something you would look at?

2. If the Pick's in this daily guide concentrated on Roll Over Multi Race Exotics and analysis of big stakes races, would you be more likely to look at it than if it just gave W/P/S picks?

3.For example, if the guide gave you form analysis for a P4 with a $50k guarantee, would you be more likely to also look at wagering prospects on the other races at that track?

4. Would you like the guide to give a wide range of bets and options (economy, standard and premium plays, for example?)

5. What else would you like in this daily guide that would make you look at it and consider other wagering options?

Thanks

Craig

InsideThePylons-MW
08-18-2010, 06:36 PM
What is with all the what kind of tout stuff would you want threads here lately?

Is that what it's come down to as a last resort revenue source for selling something or increasing wagering?

craigbraddick
08-18-2010, 06:53 PM
I can't speak for the others but there is no point in doing something unless you address what someone wants.

Also to add:

6. As an account holder, would you like free access to basic P.P's?

Thanks

Craig

46zilzal
08-18-2010, 06:56 PM
I would go fishing in a different pond then. The "crowd" here is far far past a site like you are suggesting.

Charlie D
08-18-2010, 07:22 PM
I do believe they say only a small % win, so if thats correct then Craig is fishing in right pond.

Robert Goren
08-18-2010, 08:02 PM
The only thing that would interest me would be the free PPs. The one thing that might be of interest would information winning running style. If there is day that pops up when all the horses winning went wire to wire and a few were box cars, that would be nice to know. The one thing I would really like to know that horse people all seem know is when the track is cuppy and when it is not.

therussmeister
08-18-2010, 08:50 PM
I do believe they say only a small % win, so if thats correct then Craig is fishing in right pond.
If only a small % win, there's only a small chance that the person giving analysis is profitable, and if they are it wouldn't last long if it is given away for free.

Charlie D
08-18-2010, 09:03 PM
If only a small % win, there's only a small chance that the person giving analysis is profitable .

True

and if they are it wouldn't last long if it is given away for free.

True again.

However, can you not learn something from someone who is unprofitable???

thaskalos
08-18-2010, 09:39 PM
However, can you not learn something from someone who is unprofitable???Sure...you learn how to overcome the habit of winning.

Charlie D
08-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Sure...you learn how to lose!

You can learn from losing can't you??

thaskalos
08-18-2010, 09:49 PM
You can learn from losing can't you?? I learn a lot more from MY losses...than I can from someone else's.

Charlie D
08-18-2010, 09:53 PM
I learn a lot more from MY losses...than I can from someone else's.

That may be correct, but you can learn from the losses of others, like what handicapping factors not use if they provide some detail of their methodology and if you learn those, are you maybe not on your way to turning yourself into a winner??

Charlie D
08-18-2010, 10:10 PM
Public handicappers provide selections for every race free of charge and i think it would be fair to presume these selections are unprofitable. However, they can and do provide useful information via thier analysis.

thaskalos
08-18-2010, 10:12 PM
That may be correct, but you can learn from the losses of others, like what handicapping factors not use if they provide some detail of their methodology and if you learn those, are you maybe not on your way to turning yourself into a winner??I want to agree with you Charlie...but 30 years of being around horseplayers, have convinced me otherwise.

Losing players don't "provide some detail of their methodology"...they give excuses.

They are always great in handicapping...but lousy in managing their bets.

Charlie D
08-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Not talking about type who maybe blame jockey for every torn up ticket thaskalos. :)

MMM59
08-18-2010, 10:35 PM
No Thanks, not even curious enough to check out your website.

bigmack
08-18-2010, 10:38 PM
The only thing that would interest me would be the free PPs.
The one thing I would really like to know that horse people all seem know is when the track is cuppy and when it is not.
That's two 'only/one' thing(s) you want.

Cheap betters and the vendors who try to please 'em. I still can't figure out which is more symbiotically pathetic.

Charlie D
08-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Bigmack

Might be wrong, but I don't think we'd see the large sums traded on Betfair if it were not for help from free information. In fact, Betfair/Timeform actually provide free basic race info, have a website called betting.betfair with loads of info and opinion and Timeform radio, so i'd presume they think it helps liquidity.

craigbraddick
08-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks everyone for your feedback.

It would seem people would like free basic PP's for every track as a rule.

To those making snarky comments...Horseplayers quite rightly complain that they are not consulted about what their needs are or that their needs are ignored or never met. So if someone asks what would you like to see, it doesn't really make much sense to treat them with disdain unless they go ahead and do the exact opposite of what you suggested.

And for the record: "One meet of writing a tipsheet convinced me I never wanted to sell picks again. Accordingly, this year at ARP, I have passed that duty on to someone else, even though it meant turning down additional pay to write it."

Craig.