PDA

View Full Version : Time for Stronach to step up for bettors

andymays
08-18-2010, 06:56 AM
http://www.drf.com/blogs/time-stronach-step-bettors

Excerpt:

The surfaces change. Bias one day, no bias the next. It goes back and forth.

Pace does not matter, except sometimes when it does matter. And pace almost never matters around two turns.

andymays
08-18-2010, 06:58 AM
I don't think it's gonna happen but we'll know more after his meeting tonight.

lamboguy
08-18-2010, 07:04 AM
what the hell is he doing wasting his time?

there is nothing at all that can work as a bandaid for this game that can help it at this point in time. the game needs a complete revamp. maybe even stop the whole thing now and start fresh. often times its easier to build the whole house from the start instead of gutting it out and leaving a few walls up, in horseracing's case its probably easier just to clean house and start over.

Stillriledup
08-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Why bother putting in a plastic surface to save 1 more horse when that 1 horse extra they save (and this is debateable at best) is just going to be shipped to a 2k claimer at Los al and break down anyway?

They stuck it to the bettors hard to save a few more fatalities and did nothing about preventing trainers from running dead lame horses anyway. What's the difference what surface you have if they're just going to let lame horses race to fill fields? Its business they say, some say breakdowns are part of the game. There are so many ways you can help prevent racetrack injuries BEFORE you tear up the surfaces and tear out the hearts of the hard core players and force them to handicap this crapola.

Many large bettors have left these races alone because of the inconsistencies with the surfaces. With this stuff youre handicapping SURFACE and not HORSES. This is freaking HORSE racing not surface racing.

They get their big carryovers because its totally random who wins, its random who goes to the lead and its random if that horse can hold on to win.

If you pick a winner at this place, you just got lucky even if you think that it was sound handicapping that got you into the winners circle.

When i handicap the pick 4 at this place my strategy is to see if i can afford all by all by all by all. This has nothing to do with horseplaying, its just who can afford to purchase the most amount of combinations, its the equine form of the state lottery.

I do have the ability to head to a 7-11 and buy a scratch off, why turn horse racing, the greatest chess match in the world, into another form of the lottery? We already HAVE the lottery, why do we need another one?

Remember when Plastic first reared its ugly head and we had that ridiculous horse win the Blue Grass at Keeneland with the 52 half? Remember that race? Some horse no one heard of found a way to beat Street Sense and some other good horses, was that really what we wanted? Did we want a track that made the bettors of that forgettable horse take the money of the bettors of street sense? I don't think that's what we had in mind when we stuck plastic in the bettors faces.

Maybe Frank will listen to Brad Free. I completely agree with what Brad is saying, he's 100 percent correct.

The_Knight_Sky
08-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Some horse no one heard of found a way to beat Street Sense and some other good horses, was that really what we wanted?

Dominican

Today is the day (I think) we'll get some bold proclamations and ideas
that will start to reverse the course of the sinking ship that is California racing.

Stronach, who has long advocated for deregulation of racing dates, requested from the board last month that Santa Anita Park and Golden Gate Fields increase the tracks' racing dates to about 140 days a year each. Santa Anita Park currently runs close to 85 days of horse racing a year.

"We know there are some rules and regulations that will take some time (to) change," Stronach said Monday. "I think we'll come forward with a balanced solution."

Meanwhile, he flatly denied a rumor that the charitable Oak Tree Racing Association's fall meet would have to be held elsewhere so that Santa Anita could replace its racetrack surface.

"As far as I am concerned, I made a commitment that Oak Tree could run the meet at Santa Anita," he said.

Read more: http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_15798774#ixzz0wxj0YDgz

rwwupl
08-18-2010, 10:29 AM
From what I have gathered,I would not expect too much from Stronach or Dennis Mills. Whatever they say, tomorrow may be different.

They (IMO) have the wrong ideas about what the customers want,and believe the races are there for the horsemen and the racetracks,and customers are "Gamblers" that can shift for themselves.

Does anyone know what a Quadrupple Quadrafecta is? Will it have another carryover feature? :faint:

The_Knight_Sky
08-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Does anyone know what a Quadrupple Quadrafecta is?

An exotic wager with 44% Take Out ?

Stillriledup
08-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Its going to be interesting what is said.

Or Not.

Probably not.

The_Knight_Sky
08-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Its going to be interesting what is said.

Or Not.

Probably not.

It is in Frank Stronach's best interest say (and do) something. Anything!

If it means proposing racing for 6 continuous months. Let it be.
If it means putting in a dirt surface, let's go for it.

If it means overlapping of racing dates,
let the horsemen have the option of where they want to race.

If it means operating Santa Anita as a profitable racetrack,
then the owner should be able to call the shots. Sink or swim.
I'm ready to support Santa Anita if his proposals are reasonable.

I am not ready to support Santa Anita if Mr. Stronach "pulls a Brunetti"
and raises takeouts to rob the public just before calling it quits. :ThmbDown:

Stillriledup
08-18-2010, 10:38 PM
It is in Frank Stronach's best interest say (and do) something. Anything!

If it means proposing racing for 6 continuous months. Let it be.
If it means putting in a dirt surface, let's go for it.

If it means overlapping of racing dates,
let the horsemen have the option of where they want to race.

If it means operating Santa Anita as a profitable racetrack,
then the owner should be able to call the shots. Sink or swim.
I'm ready to support Santa Anita if his proposals are reasonable.

I am not ready to support Santa Anita if Mr. Stronach "pulls a Brunetti"
and raises takeouts to rob the public just before calling it quits. :ThmbDown:

He's already robbing the public charging 4 dollars to park and 8.50 for admission for SIMULCASTING at SA. There's no live racing and the prices are the same to get into the place. That just shows you what kind of guy we're dealing with here.

Fager Fan
08-18-2010, 10:58 PM
He's already robbing the public charging 4 dollars to park and 8.50 for admission for SIMULCASTING at SA. There's no live racing and the prices are the same to get into the place. That just shows you what kind of guy we're dealing with here.

Remember that the tracks actually have to survive, STU (I'm glad you don't call yourself Stillriledfarup).

Everyone's struggling. Handicappers are struggling, but so are the tracks, owners, and breeders.

eastie
08-19-2010, 01:25 AM

with no live racing....i would tell the parking guy **** you, and the guy at the admission gate, **** you too. I guess i'm just another Masshole from Boston, but, that would be the day when I'd pay to park or get into a track with no live racing.

Stillriledup
08-19-2010, 01:50 AM
Remember that the tracks actually have to survive, STU (I'm glad you don't call yourself Stillriledfarup).

Everyone's struggling. Handicappers are struggling, but so are the tracks, owners, and breeders.

I'm not begrudging them the 4 and 8.50 for a live product, but to charge the same to watch a tv set is ridiculous.

Tom
08-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Not much of an article. He offered nothing but his opinion, no facts or examples to back it up. You could say that exact same quote about many dirt tracks.

I don't hear anyone bitching about Woodbine or PID..in fact, I hear a lot of good things about Woodbine.

Maybe it's ot synthetics as much as it piss poor track superintendents or cheap track owners who try to scrimp on repaint drainage systems?

Low quality editorial. Sounds like sour grapes.

kenwoodall2
08-19-2010, 09:15 PM
$8.50 for what? The website says $4 general admit. But I have a marketing plan!

Stillriledup
08-20-2010, 01:37 AM
$8.50 for what? The website says $4 general admit. But I have a marketing plan!

5 dollars for gen adm, 8.50 for CH.

You have to pay 8.50 to be in the air conditioning. 5 dollars if you want to bake.

Tom
08-20-2010, 12:35 PM
Is it now time for the bettors to step up for Franky?
He was forced to spend 5-6 million putting in a surface he did not want.
Now he is about to spend 5-6 million more to rip it out. His critics have been clamoring for this for many moons, so my question is, should Franky up the prices to cover some of the costs here? Should the take by upped a few points to pay for this change over?

Are the critics of Synths now ready to step up to the plate and share the burden with Franky?

jelly
08-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Now he is about to spend 5-6 million more to rip it out. His critics have been clamoring for this for many moons, so my question is, should Franky up the prices to cover some of the costs here? Should the take by upped a few points to pay for this change over?

Are the critics of Synths now ready to step up to the plate and share the burden with Franky?

I don't think the Bettors(critics) are responsible for synthetic.

So,I'd give you a Big NO!

Charlie D
08-20-2010, 03:44 PM

Tom, as you say" Franky was forced to spend 5-6 million putting in a surface" so i don't think it should be the customers that should be held responsible for recifying the errors in judgement of others, do you??

Stillriledup
08-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Tom, as you say" Franky was forced to spend 5-6 million putting in a surface" so i don't think it should be the customers that should be held responsible for recifying the errors in judgement of others, do you??

Mr Car Key guy and others jumped the gun. People like Steve Crist were saying "why the rush".

Tom
08-21-2010, 12:14 AM

Then why should Franky?
After all, he doesn't HAVE to put dirt back in. Why should HE shoulder the cost? Why not all those who scream for dirt to come back?

Just saying, talk is cheap......

Charlie D
08-21-2010, 12:22 AM
I think i understand where your coming from Tom, but don't the fans contribute enough already to racing??

I suppose if Andy wants to contribute some of his $$$ to cost of the rebuild, Franky wouldn't mind.:)