PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on how to stop:

Storm Cadet
08-17-2010, 07:40 PM
these constant ads like google ads,double click ads and others from slowing the load times on my sports web sites to a crawl? If I disable tools>options>enable java script...many pages will load quicker, but some pages won't load at all!!! :confused: :confused: ESPN is the worst at this with ad banners that slide up and down and won't let the content load! :bang:

JustRalph
08-17-2010, 10:59 PM
these constant ads like google ads,double click ads and others from slowing the load times on my sports web sites to a crawl? If I disable tools>options>enable java script...many pages will load quicker, but some pages won't load at all!!! :confused: :confused: ESPN is the worst at this with ad banners that slide up and down and won't let the content load! :bang:

sounds like a browser hijack........you need to scan it

i recommend you start with spybot. you can download it for free. run a google search to find it............if enabling the java makes it worse, the hijack is linked to java and is being called into action every time a java app on a page is available. Espn is full of java calls .......at least it was the last time I looked into it.........

chickenhead
08-17-2010, 11:44 PM
assuming you dont have any viruses and just want snappier performance

latest version of chrome or firefox + an ad blocker extension. You dont really want to turn javascript off, good stuff is done with js, the ad blocker extensions do exactly what you want. Noticeably speeds up ESPN on vs. off.

JustRalph
08-18-2010, 04:38 AM
chicken makes a good point. I recommend chrome to everybody

wilderness
08-18-2010, 06:17 AM
Firefox has an add-on named the "Preference Bar".
This bar offers a single click to turn-off Java.

Most adds are Java-based.

In addition there are some security settings for all browsers (disable 3rd party) and "except Cookies from sites", which are notorious 3rd party advertisers, including those known pests disables loads of advertising.

Another option is disabling the loading of images.

Storm Cadet
08-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Used the ad blocker fire fox program...works great.!! Now to get it on my netbook and home PC Thanks guys as always!

Native Texan III
08-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Why not get the best of Chrome speed, Firefox add-ons and Explorer for non-standard code all in the one browser, Orion.
You can change a web page to either engine with one click within the same browser.

Lunascape is the world's first and only triple engine web browser.
What it means is that it has 3 different rendering engines behind most popular browsers in a single platform.
It's like Lunascape = Internet Explorer + Firefox + Chrome !

It's fast, feature-rich, and super customizable.
It comes with most of what you need, but you can also use Firefox add-ons.

You should definitely check it out!
Download it for free at its web site - http://www.lunascape.tv/ (http://www.lunascape.tv/)

serp
08-20-2010, 11:07 AM
I will throw another vote for Chrome + Adblock Plus.

I would also suggest that you whitelist those websites you enjoy that have ads but don't overwhelm you with them. I think it's good to reward that behaivor.

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2010, 01:59 AM
I will throw another vote for Chrome + Adblock Plus.

I would also suggest that you whitelist those websites you enjoy that have ads but don't overwhelm you with them. I think it's good to reward that behaivor.I like your suggestion! :ThmbUp:

BIG RED
08-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Used the ad blocker fire fox program...works great.!! Now to get it on my netbook and home PC Thanks guys as always!

I've had this for a long time now. I used a PC at a friends house, and went to a site I use often, and I didn't even recognize it. Ads every where. So I'm happy with the ABP + FF

oh yeah, you can disable it when you want to, like when I go to PA ;)

trying2win
08-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Storm Cadet:

I've been using a great product (in my opinion) for many years now that eliminates a lot of the banner ads and pop-ups, web bugs and other intrusions. It's called AD MUNCHER. You can read all about it at www.admuncher.com. They have a bunch of FAQ'S there. They have two versions...basic and premium for a very modest cost, i.e. about $18 U.S. or $27 U.S. Plus, they have excellent customer service. One good thing, is that even with the effectiveness of eliminating many banner ads, things like online toteboards and racing videos etc. still pop-up with no problem.

There is one drawback though for Mike at the Pace Advantage site. AD MUNCHER is so effective that it cuts out the Pace Advantage banner ads too. :blush: ...but then again, I'm guessing a lot of other pop-up blockers do the same thing. However, one still has the option of disabling the filtering process to allow the banner ads to pop-up and click on and view them at the PA site, if one so desires.

If I remember correctly, the folks at the AD MUNCHER site give the option of trying out a fully-functioning AD MUNCHER on a free, 30 day trial basis.

T2W

PaceAdvantage
08-26-2010, 06:52 PM
You should be able to unblock certain sites with most ad-blocking programs I would think...check out the options/settings...