PDA

View Full Version : Late scratch at saratoga August 16th

point given
08-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Those who were live in the 5th race for the P4/P6 were screwed by being given the post time favorite when the 7 horse , was a late gate scratch on August 16th. The 7 was the big favoirte and one of two speed horses with the 8 being the other, for some strange reason money poured in on the #1 instead of the 8 making him the post time favorite. The 8 waltzed through a 50 or 51 half and went wire to wire for fun. This is a situation which needs fixing, just as there was a change in NY law last year for P4/6 wagers where an "ALL" is given for a race when there is a surface change after bets have already been made . This is a fair rule and protects bettors. However P4/6 bets are still at the mercy of those who can through nefarious means or by merely accident change the nature of a race. The bettor should be protected .

The following post is one which I sent to NYRA today and I hope any others that were affected by this will take he effort to write to them as well to voice their displeasure . Thanks

" There was alot of funny business going on with the late gate scratch of the overwhelming favorite in the 5th race on August 16th at Saratoga. Instead of getting a consolation payout or allowed a substitution, ticket holders were given the post time favorite as the NY wagering laws stipulate. The dynamics of the race changed as now there was a lone speed horse who waltzed along on the lead from wire to wire. This was after the horses were quickly reloaded without giving bettors a chance to get to the windows to make the 8 horse the deserving favorite. So a large portion of bettors were screwed by being put on the 1 horse who many already had in their multiple leg bets. Its time the law was changed to protect bettors on scratches in Pick 4 and Pick 6 bets. Its time for either consolation payouts and / or substitution slips much like the parlay slips available at the track. Computerization has moved light years ahead and NYRA is living in the past by not rectifying this issue of protecting bettors from funny business that goes on at the track where large amounts of money are handled in multiple race bet sequences. The rule of races being taken off the turf and an " all " given to bettors was instituted as a fair method to protect bettors in multiple race pick 4/6 betting and NOW it is time to protect bettors again by instituting a change in law and rules for late scratches where it affects the dynamics of the race and bettors being given the post time favorite instead of being given a choice of a substitute or a consolation payoff. Give the bettors a fair ruling , don't let racing be controlled by unscrupulous people who might have a horse scratched at the gate to control a race as it happened at Saratoga on August 16th in the 5th race. I was on track and could do nothing to protect my investment . PLease give a copy of this email to Charles Hayward and Hal Handel to let them know that this is a serious issue. This is as serious as the rule change implemented last year to protect bettors wagers on multiple race Pick 4 and 6 wagers."

David-LV
08-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Those who were live in the 5th race for the P4/P6 were screwed by being given the post time favorite when the 7 horse , was a late gate scratch on August 16th. The 7 was the big favoirte and one of two speed horses with the 8 being the other, for some strange reason money poured in on the #1 instead of the 8 making him the post time favorite. The 8 waltzed through a 50 or 51 half and went wire to wire for fun. This is a situation which needs fixing, just as there was a change in NY law last year for P4/6 wagers where an "ALL" is given for a race when there is a surface change after bets have already been made . This is a fair rule and protects bettors. However P4/6 bets are still at the mercy of those who can through nefarious means or by merely accident change the nature of a race. The bettor should be protected .

The following post is one which I sent to NYRA today and I hope any others that were affected by this will take he effort to write to them as well to voice their displeasure . Thanks

" There was alot of funny business going on with the late gate scratch of the overwhelming favorite in the 5th race on August 16th at Saratoga. Instead of getting a consolation payout or allowed a substitution, ticket holders were given the post time favorite as the NY wagering laws stipulate. The dynamics of the race changed as now there was a lone speed horse who waltzed along on the lead from wire to wire. This was after the horses were quickly reloaded without giving bettors a chance to get to the windows to make the 8 horse the deserving favorite. So a large portion of bettors were screwed by being put on the 1 horse who many already had in their multiple leg bets. Its time the law was changed to protect bettors on scratches in Pick 4 and Pick 6 bets. Its time for either consolation payouts and / or substitution slips much like the parlay slips available at the track. Computerization has moved light years ahead and NYRA is living in the past by not rectifying this issue of protecting bettors from funny business that goes on at the track where large amounts of money are handled in multiple race bet sequences. The rule of races being taken off the turf and an " all " given to bettors was instituted as a fair method to protect bettors in multiple race pick 4/6 betting and NOW it is time to protect bettors again by instituting a change in law and rules for late scratches where it affects the dynamics of the race and bettors being given the post time favorite instead of being given a choice of a substitute or a consolation payoff. Give the bettors a fair ruling , don't let racing be controlled by unscrupulous people who might have a horse scratched at the gate to control a race as it happened at Saratoga on August 16th in the 5th race. I was on track and could do nothing to protect my investment . PLease give a copy of this email to Charles Hayward and Hal Handel to let them know that this is a serious issue. This is as serious as the rule change implemented last year to protect bettors wagers on multiple race Pick 4 and 6 wagers."

Excellent letter, but you probably will not even get the courtesy of an answer. These people have heads like concrete.

_______
David-LV

InsideThePylons-MW
08-17-2010, 01:44 PM
http://images.inmagine.com/img/uppercutrf/ucsi015/ucsi015019.jpg

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2010, 03:08 PM
For the record, the NYRA gate crew ALWAYS reloads/loads them quickly after a late gate scratch...there is little delay as far as that's concerned, and anyone who has watched this circuit for any length of time knows that is M.O. when it comes to scratches at the gate.

point given
08-17-2010, 03:56 PM
For the record, the NYRA gate crew ALWAYS reloads/loads them quickly after a late gate scratch...there is little delay as far as that's concerned, and anyone who has watched this circuit for any length of time knows that is M.O. when it comes to scratches at the gate.

So noted, which doesnot make it right as it can change the dynamics of the race and race goers should be given time to get to the windows , NYRA took the lead in changing the rule on surface change and should do likewise on scratches for pick 4 and 6 betting.

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2010, 04:35 PM
So noted, which doesnot make it right as it can change the dynamics of the race and race goers should be given time to get to the windows , NYRA took the lead in changing the rule on surface change and should do likewise on scratches for pick 4 and 6 betting.I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm just saying as far as the speed of the reload went, it wasn't abnormal.

You started your letter off using the phrase "funny business" and included this line "This was after the horses were quickly reloaded without giving bettors a chance to get to the windows to make the 8 horse the deserving favorite."

I just wanted to point out that the quick reload is par for the course and should not be perceived as part of any "funny business" you believe might have been going on for that particular race.

Trotman
08-17-2010, 04:42 PM
PA exactly I agree, I think with everything going on in racing we should step back a bit and take the deep breath because just about any post now is a touchy subject with many, and I include myself. Guys and gals were better than this, and this is one fine forum. :ThmbUp:

point given
08-17-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm just saying as far as the speed of the reload went, it wasn't abnormal.

You started your letter off using the phrase "funny business" and included this line "This was after the horses were quickly reloaded without giving bettors a chance to get to the windows to make the 8 horse the deserving favorite."

I just wanted to point out that the quick reload is par for the course and should not be perceived as part of any "funny business" you believe might have been going on for that particular race.

I understand that it may be SOP. I wanted to make my point that it may make the appearance of "funny business". I've heard some stories which may or maynot be true in other circumstances from times past. DRF Crist blog also has some posts on the same subject so I know I'n not alone on this latest instance.

Stillriledup
08-17-2010, 09:43 PM
California gives a conso pick 3, but they still have yet to give out conso pick 4s or pick 6s on late scratches.

David-LV
08-17-2010, 10:17 PM
California backs them out of the gate for a few minutes to give you a chance to change or make another bet when there is a scratch at the gate.

NYRA does not even give the gate crew time to move the numbers on the gate when there is a gate scratch. Right or wrong they have always done this.

_________
David-LV

point given
08-17-2010, 10:59 PM
California gives a conso pick 3, but they still have yet to give out conso pick 4s or pick 6s on late scratches.

Yes NYRA has conso P3s too but not p4, why is the question. As far as p6 goes there should be alternate choice available as there could be multiple scratches in that many races. Sure its not as easy as merely giving the customer the post time favorite, but we are all trying to beat the favorites to get paid well and that is more so in the horizontal bets.

aaron
08-18-2010, 09:58 AM
The NYRA gate crew is slow to load most of the time,but when the bettor needs an extra minute or so they are fast to load. Go figure.

classhandicapper
08-18-2010, 10:41 AM
One of the advantages of playing at home on a computer is that late scratches that change the race dynamics are an OPPORTUNITY to make a bet into an inefficient pool. New bets are a click away.

On occasion I get stuck with a ticket I don't want anymore, but I get to add tickets I love a lot.

PaceAdvantage
08-19-2010, 09:27 PM
The NYRA gate crew is slow to load most of the time,but when the bettor needs an extra minute or so they are fast to load. Go figure.Not my experience at all...NYRA gate crew pays pretty strict attention to the listed post time...do they not?

What more can you ask for?

Cardus
08-19-2010, 09:48 PM
The NYRA gate crew is slow to load most of the time,but when the bettor needs an extra minute or so they are fast to load. Go figure.

C'mon, this is ridiculous.

While I understand that bettors do get shut out, I believe that we always get in the bets in which we have the greatest belief.

point given
08-19-2010, 10:47 PM

While I understand that bettors do get shut out, I believe that we always get in the bets in which we have the greatest belief.

C'mon man , you cannot be serious. I had the greatest belief before the scraatch of the horse , then there was a single speed horse left who proceeded to waltz his way around the track. The race dynamics changed and they didnot give the ontrack bettors time to get down, and then the favorite became a horse who stood a chance if a pace duel happened bbut had no chance after the scratch. The pick 4 and 6 rules need to be changed to protect both you and me pal.:faint: :bang:

aaron
08-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Not my experience at all...NYRA gate crew pays pretty strict attention to the listed post time...do they not?

What more can you ask for?
Most of the players that I sit with feel the NYRA crew is slow to load and seems to have more problems at the gate than say,Monmouth or Gulfstream.

aaron
08-19-2010, 11:21 PM

I didn't say it is hard to get bets in at NYRA. On the contrary,with them being slow to hold,it is easy to get bets in at the last moment,especially on the computer.
I just thought it odd,that with a late scratch a few extra minutes are not given.

PaceAdvantage
08-20-2010, 01:46 AM
Most of the players that I sit with feel the NYRA crew is slow to load and seems to have more problems at the gate than say,Monmouth or Gulfstream.All I can say is that when that MTP clicks from 1mtp to 0mtp at NYRA, you can be pretty confident the gate is about to spring open...I'm talking more about when the race goes off than how long it takes them to load...