PDA

View Full Version : Union employee fired for wanting to unionize.

lsbets
08-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Okay mosty, lets see your justification and rationalization of this. The story is too funny for words, I have a hunch your justification will be also:

In a move of stunning hypocrisy, the United Federation of Teachers axed one of its longtime employees -- for trying to unionize the powerful labor organization's own workers, it was charged yesterday.

Jim Callaghan, a veteran writer for the teachers union, told The Post he was booted from his $100,000-a-year job just two months after he informed UFT President Michael Mulgrew that he was trying to unionize some of his co-workers."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/this_oughta_teach_him_rQamwIU0sNZxyrmyNBxz4L

boxcar
08-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Okay mosty, lets see your justification and rationalization of this. The story is too funny for words, I have a hunch your justification will be also:

In a move of stunning hypocrisy, the United Federation of Teachers axed one of its longtime employees -- for trying to unionize the powerful labor organization's own workers, it was charged yesterday.

Jim Callaghan, a veteran writer for the teachers union, told The Post he was booted from his $100,000-a-year job just two months after he informed UFT President Michael Mulgrew that he was trying to unionize some of his co-workers."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/this_oughta_teach_him_rQamwIU0sNZxyrmyNBxz4L

Mosty will tell us that this teachers' union needs to have a monopoly because a union divided against itself will fall. :D

Boxcar

bigmack
08-17-2010, 11:01 AM
"I told him I want to have the same rights that teachers have," said Callaghan, 63, of Staten Island. "He told me he didn't want that, that he wanted to be able to fire whoever he wanted to."

Too bad he wasn't part of the Union that employed him. They'd never be able to fire him. :D

mostpost
08-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Let me see if I understand this. Jim Callaghan is not a teacher. He works for the Teachers Union is another capacity, as a writer. He was fired for trying to organize a union.
Assuming I have the facts correct:
Workers have the right to unionize. Companies (or unions) which try to obstruct that right through intimidation should be subject to the penalty of the law. Mr. Callaghan is right to pursue an NLRB ruling.

The NY Post story quoted a union official as saying that many of the unions employees were unionized.
"We do not comment on personnel matters, but the overwhelming majority of people who work at the UFT are represented by unions," said UFT spokesman Peter Kadushin.
Is there a reason Mr. Callaghan and his fellow writers could not join one of the unions already representing workers at the union's offices?

Wouldn't that be a better solution than starting a union of twelve people?

mostpost
08-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Mosty will tell us that this teachers' union needs to have a monopoly because a union divided against itself will fall. :D

Boxcar
The members of a union need to be united. The people who work for the union need to do their jobs, just as they would in any company.