PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget the King today........

JustRalph
08-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley.

I was wondering if anybody on this board saw Elvis live ?

I know it is out of fashion to be an Elvis fan nowadays. But as I sit here next to my autographed Scotty Moore Pic's and listen to a little of the "Big E" I wonder if the young people on this board understand the cultural impact that Elvis had....... oh well......and don't forget Ricky Nelson either. He changed the outlook on "Rock and Roll " also.

I was standing outside a bank waiting on my Dad who was using an ATM machine for about the first time ever, when I heard on a car radio a few feet away that Elvis had died. A lady in the car started crying and another guy ran from the car into the bank to tell everyone..........

GaryG
08-16-2010, 05:25 PM
My favorite Sirius program, Rockabilly Roadtrip, often plays the old Sun sides. To me, that is the real Elvis, not the jumpsuit wearing Elvis of the 70s. Last week they played a live version of That's Alright Mama from the LA Hayride in 1954. FAN-tastic! Pink and black days....

Overlay
08-16-2010, 06:27 PM
I was standing outside a bank waiting on my Dad who was using an ATM machine for about the first time ever, when I heard on a car radio a few feet away that Elvis had died. A lady in the car started crying and another guy ran from the car into the bank to tell everyone..........

I was sitting in my car outside the Indiana State Office Building in Indianapolis waiting to pick up my mom from her job there when the news came on the car radio. Definitely one of those "Where were you when...?" moments that sticks in my memory.

46zilzal
08-16-2010, 06:41 PM
some people are their own worst enemies. i.e the two kings MJ and EP

PaceAdvantage
08-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley.

I was wondering if anybody on this board saw Elvis live ? I saw him live, but not like you think. My Mom was/is a big fan, so we all hopped in the car and "stalked" him outside where he was set to come out of the building at the end of one of his shows at Nassau Coliseum. I'm not sure if they used decoy limos back then, but regardless, my Dad picked the right limo to follow, and we pull up alongside him on the Meadowbrook Parkway and he is looking out the window (there is a curtain over the window, but he had it pushed aside and was looking right at me, not sure if Dad was honking to get his attention...lol) and Elvis gives me one of those "Pope waves" that he liked to give...the kind where his thumb, pointer and index finger are extended (as if you are counting to three).

My brush with Elvis...

bigmack
08-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Elvis gives me one of those "Pope waves" that he liked to give...the kind where his thumb, pointer and index finger are extended (as if you are counting to three
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a minute there fella.

Dig the story but ain't the pointer finger the index finger and versa-vise?

The index finger, (also referred to as forefinger, pointer finger, trigger finger, digitus secundus, or digitus II), is the first finger and the second digit of a human hand. Its anatomical names are either index finger or second digit.Wiki

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NE-72ZXux-g/Skm1jcrpNOI/AAAAAAAAJ1I/FvUXKUaB6Ks/s400/elvis.bmp

JustRalph
08-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Great Story! Love it!

I saw him live, but not like you think. My Mom was/is a big fan, so we all hopped in the car and "stalked" him outside where he was set to come out of the building at the end of one of his shows at Nassau Coliseum. I'm not sure if they used decoy limos back then, but regardless, my Dad picked the right limo to follow, and we pull up alongside him on the Meadowbrook Parkway and he is looking out the window (there is a curtain over the window, but he had it pushed aside and was looking right at me, not sure if Dad was honking to get his attention...lol) and Elvis gives me one of those "Pope waves" that he liked to give...the kind where his thumb, pointer and index finger are extended (as if you are counting to three).

My brush with Elvis...

PaceAdvantage
08-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, wait a minute there fella.

Dig the story but ain't the pointer finger the index finger and versa-vise?I meant index and middle...kind of like this...

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/John_Paul_Wave.jpg