PDA

View Full Version : Get well update

46zilzal
08-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Sunday's opening race will be a big get well for out injured security guard Dave Dahl.
1st race - Hastings Racecourse - August 15, 2010
Pgm Horse Jockey Win Place Show
5 Orchid's Storm Amadeo Perez 20.10 7.70 3.50
3 Royal Rags Keveh Nicholls 6.70 4.10
4 Whipstitch Ryan Pacheco 2.20
A
Winning Owner: Dahl, David and Dunlop, Kinkaid
Winning Trainer: David Dahl

This one was actually last to first down the back stretch.

He had to have a second surgery to repair torn intestines and remains in Vancouver General Hospital.

He was always high on this filly who flipped a palate earlier in the season. His assistant trainer was holding his chest upon entering the winner's circle..."I think I may have a heart attack!" were his first words... EVERY groom and trainer individually came up to him with a pat on the back and words of encouragement and congratulations. I have always maintained that the back stretch is like a big circus family: itinerant, fiercely independent all the while looking out for "other" family members.

Dave had a long and distinguished career as an RCMP officer and his upbringing on logging camps up and down the British Columbia coast gave him a unique perspective in this work there: stopping lumber theft. He upgraded the lumber pilferage unit from a reclamation level of 1 million to 6 million dollars. He set up countless sting operations to stop organized crime theft and brought in modern techniques to the investigation unit.

His parents brought him to the game while a child. His mother, Beatrice, was the trainer of record of a multiple stakes winning filly, Okan Dee Select who won stakes both here and in California. We laughed when I found out I had actually done a house call visit to her mother's house. When I came to the door and recognized the last name I asked "There was a trainer who had a great filly by your name...are you the same lady?" Without answering she motioned me into her den (the wall covered with winner's circle photos) she smiled and stated (very matter of fact) "What do you think?"

Yesterday at our yearly track party, a collection was taken up for him and it was supported well.

I spoke to many others who were there and the horse was actually airborne when it hit him. The track vet noted that the animal was dead on contact and she stated "If that one had hit the rail a mere three feet further down the track it would have been IN THE CROWD. and who knows what would have happened then." Our track photographer, still shaken when I spoke with him yesterday, said "I don't know why I reacted by moving the way I did but witnesses told me that I WOULD HAVE BEEN the one hit had I not moved when I did."

Good medicine with this win and I hope he is doing better as we are going to visit this week.

PhantomOnTour
08-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Thanks for sharing Zilly...wish him well.

PaceAdvantage
08-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the update zil...much appreciated.

RXB
08-17-2010, 12:45 AM
I heard today that he's now fighting an infection.

Dave's a good guy; I was hoping to visit him in the hospital last week but they said "family only."

RXB
11-04-2010, 02:05 AM
I should've posted something on this earlier: it was front page news in one of the local newspapers three weeks ago. Better late than never. Dave is a good guy and it's great to see him back on his feet.

I didn't realize he was 64 years old! Looks 10 years younger, at least when he's healthy.

http://www.theprovince.com/mikeholmes/Save+money+using+your+roof+leasing/2748170/Hero+Hastings+gets+huge+reception/3655129/story.html?id=3655129