PDA

View Full Version : Renamed a Text File

bigmack
08-14-2010, 08:49 PM
I was in word pad typing in .com availabilities for a friends business. When I went to close the word pad file I saved it as power.com

Apparently because I saved it as a .com it now only opens as an ms-dos document.

Any idea how I can get it back to a doc/txt? I've already changed it to a .txt and .doc to no avail.

BillW
08-14-2010, 09:24 PM
I was in word pad typing in .com availabilities for a friends business. When I went to close the word pad file I saved it as power.com

Apparently because I saved it as a .com it now only opens as an ms-dos document.

Any idea how I can get it back to a doc/txt? I've already changed it to a .txt and .doc to no avail.

Just a wag, is there a property that needs to be fixed to identify it as a RTF file?

bigmack
08-14-2010, 09:30 PM
Just a wag, is there a property that needs to be fixed to identify it as a RTF file?
God love ya, BW. I ended-up using that GodMode I posted a few months back for Windows 7 and changed the .com association to open with wordpad.

Thanks for your help.

PaceAdvantage
08-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Now that I'm using Win7, can you point me to that God Mode post? If not, I'll have to not act so lazy and look for it myself... :lol:

bigmack
08-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Now that I'm using Win7, can you point me to that God Mode post? If not, I'll have to not act so lazy and look for it myself... :lol:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65443

Voila, Professor Lazybones :D

PaceAdvantage
08-14-2010, 09:44 PM
grassy ass

michiken
08-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Locate the file in windows explorer.

Right click on it and choose rename.

Change the extension from .com back to .txt or .rtf and the file should open as expected.

Changing the file association was not the right thing to do.

wilderness
08-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Notepad opens anything.

1) Open the file in Notepad
2) Select
a) File
b) Save as
3) when the folder option appears.
Change the name and extension to whatever you like, "enclosing" the entire file name in quotes and save.
EX "crap.rtf"
"crap.exe"

bigmack
08-14-2010, 10:12 PM
As previously mentioned....It was a blank document. As I assembled the available domain names I saved it as power.com. By doing so t then changed the file to an ms-dos file. I couldn't open it even after changing the file name to .doc or .txt.

Changing the file association may not have been the appropriate thing to do but it worked and saved me from an hour of work.

wilderness
08-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Once again "NOTEPAD" opens any file type.
Doesn't matter if it's dos, mac, linux, apache, it opens anything.

if your referring to files on a server?
FTP softwares allow you to change any names and extensions to whatever you please.

bigmack
08-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Once again "NOTEPAD" opens any file type.
Doesn't matter if it's dos, mac, linux, apache, it opens anything.

if your referring to files on a server?
FTP softwares allow you to change any names and extensions to whatever you please.
If you have Win7 open notepad, type anything and save it as a file named whatever.com It will save it as an ms-dos file.

wilderness
08-14-2010, 10:39 PM
If you have Win7 open notepad, type anything and save it as a file named whatever.com It will save it as an ms-dos file.

of course it will, that what COM and EXE files are.

However, that does not prevent you from opening the file in notepad and saving as an entirely different name and entirely different extension, AS LONG AS you enclose the complete new name in quotes.

bigmack
08-14-2010, 10:51 PM
of course it will, that what COM and EXE files are.

However, that does not prevent you from opening the file in notepad and saving as an entirely different name and entirely different extension, AS LONG AS you enclose the complete new name in quotes.
Capish. A tip o' the hat to you sir and/or madam. :ThmbUp: