PDA

View Full Version : The state of Sam Houston....

Lasix67
08-14-2010, 08:40 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/race/7152863.html

It doesn't look good for Sam Houston race course in Houston.

InsideThePylons-MW
08-14-2010, 08:41 PM
One of many that will be gone soon.

WinterTriangle
08-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Do we have a list of 5 tracks that will be closed by 2014?

Interesting wagering opportunity, although rather pathos filled. :(

Robert Goren
08-14-2010, 11:43 PM
Turfway and Ellis Park have been on the endangered list for quite a few years, it unlikely that both will be around in 2014. Those two are surest bets in my opinion to close.

bane
08-15-2010, 08:06 AM
This makes sense, Sam Houston has better QH racing anyway, Sam Houston will be fiew doing QH only in Texas. The state tried to have a circuit but when you are surrounded by states with better circuits than you it with other ways of revenue, it's tough.

lamboguy
08-15-2010, 09:35 AM
just curios, what is the state of racing in retama park? does anyone know if bill allen is still the owner there? and if he is still the owner if he is allowed in the place? and does he still run black chip stable? he was a wild guy, he won a breeders cup classic with wild again

Mineshaft
08-15-2010, 11:24 AM
just curios, what is the state of racing in retama park? does anyone know if bill allen is still the owner there? and if he is still the owner if he is allowed in the place? and does he still run black chip stable? he was a wild guy, he won a breeders cup classic with wild again

Retama will hold a 16 day meet beginning in September. They will race only Fridays and Saturdays for 8 straight weeks.

Valuist
08-15-2010, 02:36 PM
Turfway and Ellis Park have been on the endangered list for quite a few years, it unlikely that both will be around in 2014. Those two are surest bets in my opinion to close.

Agree on Ellis, definitely. Not on Turfway. There just aren't many winter tracks open in the Midwest. They don't have a problem getting decent sized fields. And IMO, it is the only track that SHOULD be synthetic.

toetoe
08-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Texas.

What did I win ? What did I win ? :jump:

JustRalph
08-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Damn shame. This is one nice track going away. I know we need to have many many close......but this one would be one of my last choices. Nice facility, nice people......in a great area.

Storm Cadet
08-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Hymmm...any correlation to BillW leaving Houston to KY and Texas racing going down the tubes???? :eek:

TEJAS KIDD
08-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Basically Sam Houston is playing russian roulette with the Txrc and the Texas legislature. They're pretty much saying if we don't get slots then we cant race anymore. It's all bs. It's the same bs they pulled when the "needed" to stay closed to put the new roof on. They say they can't run a meet with the current purse structure and they're willing to give their dates up and purse money to Lone Star thus creating a 250k a day meeting. Unfortunately Ls only writes races that cater to the big boys Asmussen and Calhoun and all of that extra money will go to them and their owners. The small Texas trainers and breeders will have no chance.
If I had the means, I would apply for their dates, lease the track from Sam Houston, run the races and ask for permission to run at lower takeouts across the board. Unfortunately I don't have the means. If I did I would do it, even if it meant losing money. I would just want to prove to the industry that if you want to increase handle you'll need to lower takeouts.
Pretty much if Texas does get slots, purses will increase but NOONE will be wagering on their races anymore. Houston, Retama and Lone Star won't register a blip on the horseplayers of America.
Thinking of moving my tack to TB in the winter. I guess I'll have to change my nickname to TAMPA KIDD.

Mineshaft
08-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Basically Sam Houston is playing russian roulette with the Txrc and the Texas legislature. They're pretty much saying if we don't get slots then we cant race anymore. It's all bs. It's the same bs they pulled when the "needed" to stay closed to put the new roof on. They say they can't run a meet with the current purse structure and they're willing to give their dates up and purse money to Lone Star thus creating a 250k a day meeting. Unfortunately Ls only writes races that cater to the big boys Asmussen and Calhoun and all of that extra money will go to them and their owners. The small Texas trainers and breeders will have no chance.
If I had the means, I would apply for their dates, lease the track from Sam Houston, run the races and ask for permission to run at lower takeouts across the board. Unfortunately I don't have the means. If I did I would do it, even if it meant losing money. I would just want to prove to the industry that if you want to increase handle you'll need to lower takeouts.
Pretty much if Texas does get slots, purses will increase but NOONE will be wagering on their races anymore. Houston, Retama and Lone Star won't register a blip on the horseplayers of America.
Thinking of moving my tack to TB in the winter. I guess I'll have to change my nickname to TAMPA KIDD.

go to Delta

Robert Goren
08-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Agree on Ellis, definitely. Not on Turfway. There just aren't many winter tracks open in the Midwest. They don't have a problem getting decent sized fields. And IMO, it is the only track that SHOULD be synthetic.Field sizes are not the problem at Turfway. Paying the bills is. It was touch and go on whether they were going run last winter. I don't think a decision has been made about this winter. I know the made major cuts in purses for their fall meet.

bane
08-15-2010, 11:34 PM
go to Delta

Don't go there unless your Cajun or you are close to a lot of cajuns. Go to Sunland.

JustRalph
08-15-2010, 11:35 PM
go to Delta

why not........all the horses have.............

Hoofless_Wonder
08-16-2010, 12:54 AM
Problems in Texas sound similar to Illinois. "Un"-Fairmount Park gets my vote to be gone by 2014 - especially if the state of Missouri wises up and decides to legalize parimutual wagering looking for a little revenue.....

owlet
08-16-2010, 01:56 AM
Fairmont
Sam Houston
Calder
Pimlico
Laurel
Colonial
Hollywood Park
Thistledown
Pinnacle (Mich.)
Ellis

are ten that come to mind off the top of my head.. But there are many more.

Keyranch
09-03-2010, 06:26 AM
You hit the nail right on the head! I absolutely agree with lowering the takeout, and have raised this point myself, but don't think that most of the track managements (and a lot of others) can see past slots. In addition to lower takeout, I personally would like to see more support for ADWs, and think they are actually an attainable goal.

bane
09-11-2010, 06:26 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7196005.html

It's not going to happen, Sam Houston has asked for Thoroughbred dates.

Valuist
09-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Problems in Texas sound similar to Illinois. "Un"-Fairmount Park gets my vote to be gone by 2014 - especially if the state of Missouri wises up and decides to legalize parimutual wagering looking for a little revenue.....

Do we need another state (Missouri) to add racing and a new track(s)? We would have racing in every single state that borders the Mississippi to the west: Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, and Minnesota. We definitely don't need a track to open in the Show Me state.

bane
09-11-2010, 07:49 PM
State has a great shsow horse history but I truly doubt that the masses will support racing.