PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth...perfect weather...9765 in attendance

peakpros
08-14-2010, 07:06 PM
I love this place. But the gimmick did not work.

Last weekend about 10500 each day.

Today with perfect weather the place was empty.

Great pick 5 pool but they wanted to generate local interest. It just has not happened.

Pity the local horseman when they go to weekends only in a few weeks.

Brogan
08-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Should be interesting.

After initial misgivings, I think the 3 day schedule turned out mostly ok. I'm curious how I'll feel about the upcoming 2 day schedule coupled with the revised purse structure.

alhattab
08-14-2010, 08:02 PM
I love this place. But the gimmick did not work.

Last weekend about 10500 each day.

Today with perfect weather the place was empty.

Great pick 5 pool but they wanted to generate local interest. It just has not happened.

Pity the local horseman when they go to weekends only in a few weeks.

All those "lapsed fans" figured out something else to do in the past few years, and they apparently keep doing it. The best weather for Monmouth, at least for attendance, is 75-80 and cloudy. Sort of like Friday when there was pretty nice crowd. Too much wind for the beach. Today was a gorgeous beach day and after punching my (losing) Pick 5 ticket that's where I headed.

It's too bad they couldn't keep the nice purses going into September

onefast99
08-15-2010, 09:29 AM
All those "lapsed fans" figured out something else to do in the past few years, and they apparently keep doing it. The best weather for Monmouth, at least for attendance, is 75-80 and cloudy. Sort of like Friday when there was pretty nice crowd. Too much wind for the beach. Today was a gorgeous beach day and after punching my (losing) Pick 5 ticket that's where I headed.

It's too bad they couldn't keep the nice purses going into September
Philly Park is about to drop a real hurting on MP, beginning in September each and every Saturday PP will give out $1m in purse monies. In the current PP condition book(racing returns Sept 3rd)increase those purses by 10%. In January increase the purses again by 10%. MP will run about $300k a day in purses beginning September 11th. There will be a Jersey Bred day(Sept 18th) where the purses will exceed $750k. I also believe the track is working on getting a big name horse to do a race around sometime in late September, but well before the Breeders Cup.

Valuist
08-15-2010, 09:33 AM
On track attendance is meaningless. The only thing that matters is overall handle and I had thought they had huge increases in handle.

GaryG
08-15-2010, 09:34 AM
Should be interesting.

After initial misgivings, I think the 3 day schedule turned out mostly ok. I'm curious how I'll feel about the upcoming 2 day schedule coupled with the revised purse structure.I have enjoyed this meet, but will not be following the Med-at-Mth coda.

Saratoga_Mike
08-15-2010, 09:39 AM
On track attendance is meaningless. The only thing that matters is overall handle and I had thought they had huge increases in handle.

On-track attendance is emblematic of the decline in racing's popularity, so I think it's important. I think you're right about the huge increases in off-track handle. That said, I'd still be surprised if the all-in handle covered the purse structure. And I'd be shocked if MTH offers comparable purses next yr, unless they reduce race dates again.

alhattab
08-15-2010, 10:54 AM

In the short run you are probably right, but for a track like Monmouth I don't think you are correct in the long run. Monmouth Park has spawned many a racing fan at a young age because these kids went with their parents, then started going on their own as teenagers. As a result Monmouth has a fairly young wagering crowd (as contrasted with a fairly young drinking crowd). As a result attendance is important in the long run if you believe that the way you turn people on to the game is via live racing.

Zman179
08-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Philly Park is about to drop a real hurting on MP, beginning in September each and every Saturday PP will give out $1m in purse monies. In the current PP condition book(racing returns Sept 3rd)increase those purses by 10%. In January increase the purses again by 10%. MP will run about $300k a day in purses beginning September 11th. There will be a Jersey Bred day(Sept 18th) where the purses will exceed $750k. I also believe the track is working on getting a big name horse to do a race around sometime in late September, but well before the Breeders Cup.

I would assume that it'll be NYRA which will be hurt the most by Philadelphia's hike in purses. You can already see the incredible erosion in the NYRA program; a $12,500 claimer, or a $25,000 maiden claimer, would have been unthinkable two years ago at Saratoga. Now they're a staple.

Realistically speaking, the Monmouth experiment will only last one season so why not enjoy it? The state money won't be there next season and the NYRA slots will be online before next summer. Monmouth is a special place and there still will be a place for them for our upcoming summers, though the racing will not be as good as this year's.

This winter's program at Aqueduct is going to be outright atrocious, almost like a Finger Lakes south. Fortunately it'll only be bad for one season before the slots come on line.

peakpros
08-15-2010, 12:30 PM

The only thing that mattered for monmouth this summer was turning the tide and showing the ability at some time in the furture to turn a profit.

That has not happened and the disappointing on site crowds is one reason.

castaway01
08-15-2010, 02:24 PM
The only thing that mattered for monmouth this summer was turning the tide and showing the ability at some time in the furture to turn a profit.

That has not happened and the disappointing on site crowds is one reason.

Disagree because 90+% of the money is bet off track...so if attendance is down a fraction because on a beautiful day (one of the best in this god-awful summer) people went to the beach instead, horseplayers all over the country are still betting the track, so who cares?

peakpros
08-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Disagree because 90+% of the money is bet off track...so if attendance is down a fraction because on a beautiful day (one of the best in this god-awful summer) people went to the beach instead, horseplayers all over the country are still betting the track, so who cares?

Another excuse...the weather was too good to go.

Get a grip.

..its not about the betting off site and the small percentage the track gets......

its about the horse industry in NJ.

It was about putting up a great show and having people come to a mecca of racing with big money, top jocks and big fields.

Its trying to show the politicians and people (most who don't give a rats ass) in this state that there is a need for the industry. That people make a living out of it. That its another form of entertainment. That its a neat place to save. etc....

The low attendence shows no one cares and the idea of an elite meet is a joke.

Mth got 10K most weekends days without throwing the big money around.

Anyway, thanks for betting.

The Hawk
08-15-2010, 08:46 PM
The low attendence shows no one cares and the idea of an elite meet is a joke.

Mth got 10K most weekends days without throwing the big money around.

Anyway, thanks for betting.

Some facts:

There were 8,802 in attendance on the corresponding Sunday last year, so this year was a 10% increase.

There were only two weekend days last August where they got 10,000: Haskell Day and the NJ-bred Day. There was only one day otherwise where they broke 9,000. What other track is up in attendance?

Anyway, thanks for the misinformation.

PaceAdvantage
08-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Some facts:

There were 8,802 in attendance on the corresponding Sunday last year, so this year was a 10% increase.

There were only two weekend days last August where they got 10,000: Haskell Day and the NJ-bred Day. There was only one day otherwise where they broke 9,000. What other track is up in attendance?

Anyway, thanks for the misinformation.When you're down to only three days a week, don't you expect a marked increase in daily attendance beyond 10%? They used to run five days a week last year, correct? A 40% reduction in racing days should translate to a larger than 10% increase in daily attendance year-over-year, wouldn't you think?

alhattab
08-15-2010, 09:05 PM
When you're down to only three days a week, don't you expect a marked increase in daily attendance beyond 10%? They used to run five days a week last year, correct? A 40% reduction in racing days should translate to a larger than 10% increase in daily attendance year-over-year, wouldn't you think?

My thoughts exactly. You really can't be happy cutting dates by half (Mth ran about 100 dates last year) and getting 10% attendance increases for a ballyhooed meet like this. On other hand, it's a good bet that whatever 4-5k were the only ones there there on Wed and Thu in 2009 and were probably there on Fri-Sun in both years.

PaceAdvantage
08-15-2010, 09:07 PM
For the record, I am writing about this one day mentioned in this specific thread. I don't know what the total attendance is this year compared to last. Anyone have any stats on that to date?

For all I know, they may have blown the doors off of last year's attendance....

alhattab
08-15-2010, 09:14 PM
For the record, I am writing about this one day mentioned in this specific thread. I don't know what the total attendance is this year compared to last. Anyone have any stats on that to date?

For all I know, they may have blown the doors off of last year's attendance....

PA I don't have the exact stats but an educated guess (I look at attendance and handle every day but don't compile the stats) is that daily attendance is up 20% at the high end. I think the increases are less than that.

The Hawk
08-15-2010, 09:22 PM
I understand what you're saying, and I agree to an extent, but the point is not how much better they should be doing, but rather that Peakpros stated they got 10K a day last year, and that's flat-out untrue. I didn't say 10% was fantastic, but the fact is it's better, not worse, that last year, and that's in a scenario where very few racetracks are up in attendance.

They're not going to beat the TOTAL attendance they got last year with only 50 days but day-to-day comparisons say they are up. When nearly every other racing venue is down, that's a plus, and it's another sign that the "less-is-more" theory is correct.

onefast99
08-15-2010, 09:34 PM
When you're down to only three days a week, don't you expect a marked increase in daily attendance beyond 10%? They used to run five days a week last year, correct? A 40% reduction in racing days should translate to a larger than 10% increase in daily attendance year-over-year, wouldn't you think?
The Wednesday and Thursday cards were not very good. Friday was just ok and this year Friday is still just ok but MP has managed to do well in the handle department, primarily off track. Every year after the Haskell the attendance drops and so does the handle, just like Saratoga once the Travers is run on August 28th. The real test will begin on September 11th when the Meadowlands at MP meet begins. I don't think it will be a success in any way shape or form. Hopefully the commission put together by Governor Christi won't use this as a negative against thoroughbred racings future in our state.

peakpros
08-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Some facts:

Anyway, thanks for the misinformation.

Sure. Ok.

10% increase. Great. Most of them probable came to see turcotte anyway.

Lets forget the 20-30% of that total that use to be there every weds and thurs.

Today was better. It was cloudy and they got a decent crowd. Not sure where they were but a decent crowd by the numbers.

But management envisioned much better attendance when they laid out this much money and screwed the horseman out of half the days.

Half the days gone and your happy with a 10% increase in attendance.

Btw I said most weekends last year. Everyone knows that after the Haskell it's all down hill. Of course, its OK to still spend the big money in august. Let's give 1500 for every cripple that can show up. One horse yesterday had bites so large that we wondered if they just plucked him out of a kill pen to grab the cash.

Monmouth should have increased purses to match Saratoga during June and July and raced 4 days a weeks.

Lower purse structure in aug and keep racing 4 days a week. 3 days with normal purse structure in may (start Preakness day) and sept.

2-3 days in oct and nov.

No. They moved the needle big, with no input from the horsemen and they got middling results.

Great job for all the money they have spent.

peakpros
08-15-2010, 09:42 PM
I understand what you're saying, and I agree to an extent, but the point is not how much better they should be doing, but rather that Peakpros stated they got 10K a day last year, and that's flat-out untrue. I didn't say 10% was fantastic, but the fact is it's better, not worse, that last year, and that's in a scenario where very few racetracks are up in attendance.

They're not going to beat the TOTAL attendance they got last year with only 50 days but day-to-day comparisons say they are up. When nearly every other racing venue is down, that's a plus, and it's another sign that the "less-is-more" theory is correct.

I never stated they got 10K a day. I wrote they got 10K most weekends. Not all weekends.

peakpros
08-15-2010, 10:12 PM

Also...

Is the less is more theory correct?

Because handle is up and same day attendance is up? OK.

Is the money that is going to be lost also up? I'm anxious to see the final numbers.

I don't have all the answers but I know this. I had to sit by and watch others make decisions w/o any input from the horseowners that populated the track.

IMO this year was about bucking the trend on losing money. I don't think that has happened and that's why those same decision makers are nervous about what the governor will do.

alhattab
08-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Every year after the Haskell the attendance drops and so does the handle, just like Saratoga once the Travers is run on August 28th.

Onefast & Peakpros I hear a lot of people make similar remarks that the meet is downhill after the Haskell, but I don't think the numbers will support this view.

onefast99
08-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Onefast & Peakpros I hear a lot of people make similar remarks that the meet is downhill after the Haskell, but I don't think the numbers will support this view.
Look up the numbers they don't lie, two years ago the Kulina crew made a nice move and enticed Big Brown with a 400k purse in early September that ended up in a very solid day handle and attendance wise. This year they are working on something similar. In September there are still some very good races including the Jbred day and the NATC. The 100k stakes races will be back to the 60k they normally run for. I just have a gut feeling that after September the track will not do well in attendance or handle.

alhattab
08-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Look up the numbers they don't lie, two years ago the Kulina crew made a nice move and enticed Big Brown with a 400k purse in early September that ended up in a very solid day handle and attendance wise. This year they are working on something similar. In September there are still some very good races including the Jbred day and the NATC. The 100k stakes races will be back to the 60k they normally run for. I just have a gut feeling that after September the track will not do well in attendance or handle.

Not doubting your view re. September. I was talking more about August. Since you were the one that proclaimed things go downhill after the Haskell I figured you had numbers to support this view. I guess you don't, so I will take a look to see.

onefast99
08-16-2010, 09:38 AM
Not doubting your view re. September. I was talking more about August. Since you were the one that proclaimed things go downhill after the Haskell I figured you had numbers to support this view. I guess you don't, so I will take a look to see.
I emailed Knight Sky to get us the #'s.

alhattab
08-16-2010, 10:25 AM
For 2009 I looked at attendance only for the 9 July weekend dates pre-Haskell and the 11 weekend dates after the Haskell through Labor Day. I didn't have handle figs readily available. For 2010 I looked at attendance and total handle for the 10 July weekend dates pre-Haskell and the 4 weekend dates post Haskell to date. Here's what I found:

2009 avg attendance: July: 10,370; August: 9,397

2010:
Avg attendance/handle: July: 10,710/$8.5 million; August: 10,455/$8.4 million

Some quick analysis:

July 2010 attendance had to be hurt by the heat. August has been much more conducive to on-track attendance.

July 2010 positively affected by Rachel Day which produced about $11.5 million total handle

August 2009 hurt by some bad weather on 8/29 (attendance 5k on Travers Day). I was in Saratoga that date so don't know for sure, but attendance was so bad that my guess is the weather truly sucked as opposed to 8/22 which featured a sloppy track but attendance was 9,400.

lamboguy
08-16-2010, 10:52 AM
what is so great about a handle of $10 million and attendance of 10,000 with all that money spent on the handle.

in 1995 i remember attendance in a dump called the nothhampton fair being 15,000 and handle of $1.3 million. there were only 8 races and they had the very same $2700 purse for every race for a total of $21,600 in purses for the afternoon. and this all took place around labor day with saratoga running prime cards and 2 hours down the street

The_Knight_Sky
08-16-2010, 12:38 PM
what is so great about a handle of $10 million and attendance
of 10,000 with all that money spent on the handle.

At least a racetrack is doing something (anything) to reverse the course of a sinking ship.

The three day-a-week summer sessions are here to stay at Monmouth Park
and they will have to produce full fields for 12 races in 2011 and 2012
to see appreciable gains in the on track handle and on-track wagering.

Goals: 10,000 in attendance and $1 million on-track wagering on every race card.

Right now the attendance figures are being bloated by picnickers who
are just learning the ropes. Retaining them as regular customers is an important part
of a futuristic marketing strategy.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2cgefy0.jpg

The_Knight_Sky
08-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Some quick analysis:

July 2010 attendance had to be hurt by the heat.
August has been much more conducive to on-track attendance.

For that reason alone (heat), I grade the three Friday Twilight programs an INCOMPLETEs.

I'd like to see continuity on Fridays.
Either start at 2:30 every Friday or keep the regular 12:50 pm post time.
"Waffling" on the post times (no matter which track does it) doesn't score points with the wagering public.

The on-track handle figures for Fridays remain stagnant:

http://i37.tinypic.com/a240lj.jpg

onefast99
08-16-2010, 01:24 PM
Thank you Knight Sky. Any word on who the MP brass is looking to bring in as a big name horse in September?

alhattab
08-16-2010, 01:49 PM
At least a racetrack is doing something (anything) to reverse the course of a sinking ship.

The three day-a-week summer sessions are here to stay at Monmouth Park
and they will have to produce full fields for 12 races in 2011 and 2012
to see appreciable gains in the on track handle and on-track wagering.

Goals: 10,000 in attendance and $1 million on-track wagering on every race card.

Right now the attendance figures are being bloated by picnickers who
are just learning the ropes. Retaining them as regular customers is an important part
of a futuristic marketing strategy.
It isn't really a futuristic marketing strategy- it's what Monmouth Park has been doing for years. While it is good, especially to recruit fans across generations, Mth does need to do more to get these people betting. Allowing them to actually watch the races via a big screen would help. I also think getting people signed up for "Big M Club" as effectively as casinos get people signed up would help. Get 2 free admissions for every $100 bet, with the money continuing to accumulate for other things of value like betting vouchers. Now you have to walk about 1/2 mile to sign up. They should have a kiosk in the picnic area and aggressively sign people up.

The_Knight_Sky
08-16-2010, 02:35 PM
It isn't really a futuristic marketing strategy- it's what Monmouth Park has been doing for years. While it is good, especially to recruit fans across generations, Mth does need to do more to get these people
betting. Allowing them to actually watch the races via a big screen would help. I also think getting people signed up for "Big M Club" as effectively as casinos get people signed up would help. Get 2 free admissions for every $100 bet, with the money continuing to accumulate for other things of value like betting vouchers. Now you have to walk about 1/2 mile to sign up. They should have a kiosk in the picnic area and aggressively sign people up.

I agree with a lot of what you have to say. As matter of fact,
I wrote similar things in My Seven Sincere Suggestions (http://theknightskyracing.blogspot.com/2010/07/remarketing-monmouth-park-my-seven.html)post a few weeks back.

Big Screen Viewing from the apron is a must.
They had the big monitor up for Haskell Day but took it down after that.

I agree on teaching the picnicking crowd.
Guest Services Personnel and One page Instructional Leaflets were my ideas.
Every racing day that goes by without giving direction to the guests
amounts to a wasted opportunity as soon as they pass the turnstiles.
translation: picnickers will forever be picnickers.

I am of the belief that steady growth is the way to go, and that
means a report card for next summer and one in 2012 will give a better read
than right now. Rome wasn't built in a day, not should we expect any Marketing plan to succeed right away. Monmouth Park has a new product to sell, this isn't last year's product. It's fair enough to see where this goes.
Patience is a virtue.

onefast -

As for which major star, Monmouth could be wooing. I'm not privy to that.
But I have always felt that there should have been a big race for older males.
The Philip Iselin used to be a good graded race, but Saratoga put in a major obstacle to that when they moved The Woodward to the Spa.

We can however look forward to the running of The Monmouth Cup this year
(formerly known as The Meadowlands Cup). That will figures to serve as a major BC prep race. So good racing will not be over at the Labor Day point.

alhattab
08-19-2010, 09:53 PM

I just looked at the Pha book, and for Sept 18 and 25 there is some extra juice in the purses. Claiming purses a little better than Mth it seems. I noticed a $110k money allowance race and I thought a $90k NW1x. I didn't see purses at this level in the 9/4 and 9/11 books.

I was thinking a bit- do you think the Mth horsemen, esp. with the cheaper, non J-breds, will show some loyalty to Mth during the Club Med @ Mth meet. I mean Mth was the first to give the gift of $5k claimers running for $30k. Gotta be worth sumthin

onefast99
08-20-2010, 11:05 AM
I just looked at the Pha book, and for Sept 18 and 25 there is some extra juice in the purses. Claiming purses a little better than Mth it seems. I noticed a $110k money allowance race and I thought a $90k NW1x. I didn't see purses at this level in the 9/4 and 9/11 books.

I was thinking a bit- do you think the Mth horsemen, esp. with the cheaper, non J-breds, will show some loyalty to Mth during the Club Med @ Mth meet. I mean Mth was the first to give the gift of $5k claimers running for $30k. Gotta be worth sumthin
There will be no loyalty when it comes to making more money for both the trainer and the owner. Those who are lucky enough to have stalls at PP will benefit from the increased purse monies. As I said earlier take the current book and add 10% to those purses effective once PP re-opens on September 3rd. The $1m Saturday purse structure will be implemented in Septemeber but no exact starting date has been given. After September MP will be hurting unless they market the Saturday and Sunday racing days around both pro and college football, maybe a Giants/Jets/Rutgers ticket giveaway as well as a chance for someone to win Superbowl tix for the 2014 game at the new stadium. I would imagine Izod will also kick in tickets for some events at the arena as they spent a lot of money being the corporate sponsor of MP this summer.

The_Knight_Sky
08-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Those who are lucky enough to have stalls at PP
will benefit from the increased purse monies.

True.

Furthermore I do not see any mention that Philadelphia Park will be paying $1,500 to each and every starter's connections for answering the bell at Bensalem.

That was a key ingredient in the recipe of the condition book for the Elite Summer Meet. It clearly had an impact on the field sizes for non-stakes races in Oceanport.

The Monmouth Park condition book is not yet up at Equibase for the post-Labor Day meet, but these NJ folks cannot be underestimated. ;)

I'm sure Mike P. Dempsey's office will counter with something to bolster racing in New Jersey with the new two day Saturday - Sunday format
during the autumn.

Again, a reminder that the Elite Summer Meet is best compared to summer 2009. And the autumn meet should be compared to the Meadowlands 2009 numbers. This shouldn't turn into NJ vs. Pha contest at this point.

onefast99
08-20-2010, 06:33 PM
True.

Furthermore I do not see any mention that Philadelphia Park will be paying $1,500 to each and every starter's connections for answering the bell at Bensalem.

That was a key ingredient in the recipe of the condition book for the Elite Summer Meet. It clearly had an impact on the field sizes for non-stakes races in Oceanport.

The Monmouth Park condition book is not yet up at Equibase for the post-Labor Day meet, but these NJ folks cannot be underestimated. ;)

I'm sure Mike P. Dempsey's office will counter with something to bolster racing in New Jersey with the new two day Saturday - Sunday format
during the autumn.

Again, a reminder that the Elite Summer Meet is best compared to summer 2009. And the autumn meet should be compared to the Meadowlands 2009 numbers. This shouldn't turn into NJ vs. Pha contest at this point.
There won't be any contests of that sort, the fact is that PP is offering some solid monies. They fixed up their track over the past several weeks and they also have a new area for the horseman. MP will do everything it can to keep the horses running there and Dempsey is an excellent racing secretary who knows what his trainers want.