PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated for Zenyatta?

only11
08-13-2010, 08:17 PM
God im going to get drilled for this..!

Last horse to be on the cover of Si was Big Red...IF IF Zenyatta finishes her career with 20 wins and no losses,and wins back to back BC classic is she worthy of the SI cover,,,it could help the game....She got personality,dance moves,named after the a album...
IMO it would be a great story for SI

bane
08-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Smarty Jones was on it after the derby in 04, he was also on ESPN prior to The Belmont.

only11
08-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Smarty Jones was on it after the derby in 04, he was also on ESPN prior to The Belmont.
Thanks for the correction did Cigar make the SI cover?

PaceAdvantage
08-13-2010, 08:59 PM
It won't help the game. There are a scant number of things that will help the game, and unfortunately, few in control are interested.

Charlie D
08-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Some peoples memories are worse than mine

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/toc/11232/index.htm

slew101
08-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Mine that Bird was on the cover, according to the archives, with the 50-1 headline.

Relwob Owner
08-13-2010, 09:03 PM
It won't help the game. There are a scant number of things that will help the game, and unfortunately, few in control are interested.

Exactly...I never am sure which i get more frustrated with....the overexaggeration of her ability or the overexaggeration of how much she is helping the game

only11
Do you think a rivalry,a TC winner may help the game?

PaceAdvantage
God im going to get drilled for this..!Yeah, you sure got drilled alright... :rolleyes:

Overlay
08-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Why settle for just an SI cover? Go for the gusto -- campaign for her to break new ground as the first Sportsanimal of the Year (even if they have to rename the award). (They already renamed it once to encompass women. Why not animals as well?) :)

On the other hand, since Jackie Stewart beat out Secretariat in Big Red's Triple Crown year, the effort might be a lost cause.

tucker6
08-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Exactly...I never am sure which i get more frustrated with.... the overexaggeration of how much she is helping the game
I posted that very thought last night and every contrarian post had a statistic/graph that supported my argument. :bang:

tucker6
08-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Why settle for just an SI cover? Go for the gusto -- campaign for her to break new ground as the first equine Sportsperson of the Year (even if they have to rename the award). (They already renamed it once from "Sportsman" to "Sportsperson") to encompass women. Why not animals as well?):D
Why stop there. Maybe she should be in the swimsuit issue!! :kiss:

only11
08-13-2010, 09:15 PM
I posted that very thought last night and every contrarian post had a statistic that supported my argument. :bang:
God i cant wait to the BC..RA will be on the undrcard!

Relwob Owner
08-13-2010, 09:17 PM
I posted that very thought last night and every contrarian post had a statistic that supported my argument. :bang:

I think we need stats tracking all of her fans(just how many are outside of California?) and just how involved they are with "the game" now and how involved they will be in the future....

I wonder why all of the people who say she is "good for the game" arent more upset she stays in California almost all year? Seems like if she was so good for the game, you would want her to tarvel more and spread the "goodness" all over the country, right?

Overlay
08-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Why stop there. Maybe she should be in the swimsuit issue!! :kiss:

Why didn't I think of that??? :D

DeanT
08-13-2010, 09:21 PM
I think we need stats tracking all of her fans(just how many are outside of California?) and just how involved they are with "the game" now and how involved they will be in the future....

I wonder why all of the people who say she is "good for the game" arent more upset she stays in California almost all year? Seems like if she was so good for the game, you would want her to tarvel more and spread the "goodness" all over the country, right?

Is she bad for the game?

Is having a horse on the cover a magazine and in newspapers a bad thing?

Let's not get ridiculous here. She, and any horse who gets in papers, on network and TV news etc, is better for the game than one who does not. When there is not a horse in newpapers or on magazine covers we should all pack up and go home, because racing is over.

The dislike of this mare seems to find no bounds here!

Something as obvious as newspaper coverage versus no newspaper coverage is somehow considered bad for racing?! Has everyone lost their mind?

JustRalph
08-13-2010, 09:23 PM
I have that MTB Cover hanging on a wall here in my room..........

I saw the first post and couldn't believe it...... :bang:

Only11.........go back to that personal introspection

You are like what ? 18-19 yrs old right?

PaceAdvantage
08-13-2010, 09:23 PM

Something as obvious as newspaper coverage versus no newspaper coverage is somehow considered bad for racing?! Has everyone lost their mind?What is this "everyone" and "no bounds" brush you are painting with? There are PLENTY of diverse opinions on this mare here.

sheesh....

DeanT
08-13-2010, 09:25 PM
What is this "everyone" and "no bounds" brush you are painting with? There are PLENTY of diverse opinions on this mare here.

sheesh....

Dont get your panties in a bunch.

Let me ask you: Having Z on a cover of a magazine, is it good or bad for our sport?

Who could answer "bad" to that question but someone completely biased against this horse?

Relwob Owner
08-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Is she bad for the game?

Is having a horse on the cover a magazine and in newspapers a bad thing?

Let's not get ridiculous here. She, and any horse who gets in papers, on network and TV news etc, is better for the game than one who does not.

Something as obvious as newspaper coverage versus no newspaper coverage is somehow considered bad for racing?! Has everyone lost their mind?

Dean,

I have already stated in other places I think that overall, she is good for the game...look earlier in the thread and you will see my issue is with the overexaggeration of her being good for the game......

I would ask you as a Zenyatta supporter and someone who thinks she is good for the game the question I asked- if she is so good for the game, dont you get frustrated that she stays in California most of the year?

tucker6
08-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Why didn't I think of that??? :DCarl and Only alone are worth a thousand copies each if she was. They'd probably use it as wallpaper in the bedroom. :rolleyes:

only11
08-13-2010, 09:29 PM
I have that MTB Cover hanging on a wall here in my room..........

I saw the first post and couldn't believe it...... :bang:

Only11.........go back to that personal introspection

You are like what ? 18-19 yrs old right?
Mine That Bird memory loss maybe if had won a race after his derby i would have remember...

DeanT
08-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Dean,

I have already stated in other places I think that overall, she is good for the game...look earlier in the thread and you will see my issue is with the overexaggeration of her being good for the game......

I would ask you as a Zenyatta supporter and someone who thinks she is good for the game the question I asked- if she is so good for the game, dont you get frustrated that she stays in California most of the year?

As we discussed yesterday, all her metrics in terms of PR are up. If people were that upset with her schedule they would not be.

I checked today while I was working on something else - she is skewing really young, she has huge reach, she gains fans on her social media avenues..... everything is super-hot. If she was a client of mine she would be paying me a bonus. The mare is on fire right now.

only11
08-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Carl and Only alone are worth a thousand copies each if she was. They'd probably use it as wallpaper in the bedroom. :rolleyes:
I do own her bobblehead she sleeps between me and my wife..

PaceAdvantage
08-13-2010, 09:33 PM
Dont get your panties in a bunch.

Let me ask you: Having Z on a cover of a magazine, is it good or bad for our sport?

Who could answer "bad" to that question but someone completely biased against this horse?I just said it wouldn't help the game, and by help, I mean materially fix some of the major woes.

Of course it wouldn't be bad, and I never said it would be bad, so I'm not sure why you are asking me this question.

tucker6
08-13-2010, 09:33 PM

I wonder why all of the people who say she is "good for the game" arent more upset she stays in California almost all year? Seems like if she was so good for the game, you would want her to tarvel more and spread the "goodness" all over the country, right?The better question is who is better for the game, Moss or Jackson?? Jackson bought Rachel from a meek owner and immediately set her against the boys. Other than picking a perfect spot to run Zenyatta in the BCC, what else has Moss done for the game?????????????

Again, no one hates Zenyatta. This is an expression of utter disbelief that no one is calling Moss on the carpet for not supporting the game. When will you lemmings wake up from your drunk. Moss is laughing at you.

tucker6
08-13-2010, 09:36 PM
As we discussed yesterday, all her metrics in terms of PR are up. If people were that upset with her schedule they would not be.

I checked today while I was working on something else - she is skewing really young, she has huge reach, she gains fans on her social media avenues..... everything is super-hot. If she was a client of mine she would be paying me a bonus. The mare is on fire right now.Please link this research so that I can become a believer too.

tucker6
08-13-2010, 09:37 PM
I do own her bobblehead she sleeps between me and my wife..That's already more than anyone wants to know, but I guarantee that she's closer to your side than your wife's.

Relwob Owner
08-13-2010, 09:42 PM

I checked today while I was working on something else - she is skewing really young, she has huge reach, she gains fans on her social media avenues..... everything is super-hot. If she was a client of mine she would be paying me a bonus. The mare is on fire right now.

If these fans become consistent fans of the game, I stand corrected...I just sort of feel like these fans are people who will not stay anmy personal thought is that the game currently has some major problems that prevent it from converting interested people into consistent fans.

Again, I ask you-doesnt if frustrate you she doesnt travel much and if she did, wouldnt that increase the metrics you are referring to?

only11
08-13-2010, 09:42 PM
That's already more than anyone wants to know, but I guarantee that she's closer to your side than your wife's.
Tucker you bafoon moss brought her back to the game 1 more year...by the way your line was funny..

DeanT
08-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Again, I ask you-doesnt if frustrate you she doesnt travel much

Of course. We have discussed that before. But I am dealing with what happened, not what might have happened. If somehow she was not trending so well, then we could have a gripe and surmise. But geez, this mare is on fire. I have not seen anything like this in racing since the 2.0 age began.

tucker6
08-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Tucker you bafoon moss brought her back to the game 1 more year...by the way your line was funny..One more year for what purpose?? To run in the same races against the same horses? No thanks.

Saratoga_Mike
08-13-2010, 09:55 PM
I just said it wouldn't help the game, and by help, I mean materially fix some of the major woes.

Of course it wouldn't be bad, and I never said it would be bad, so I'm not sure why you are asking me this question.

Let's say RA was having a superlative yr and she were on the cover of a magazine. Would your answer change - on the "help the game" question? I assume no, but interested in your thoughts.

Charlie D
08-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Of course. We have discussed that before. But I am dealing with what happened, not what might have happened. If somehow she was not trending so well, then we could have a gripe and surmise. But geez, this mare is on fire. I have not seen anything like this in racing since the 2.0 age began.

Dean

Try Youtube and Goldikova :D

Java Gold@TFT
08-14-2010, 04:39 AM
One fact that hasn't been brought up is that the BC is during Football season. No horse will ever be on the cover no matter what while the NFL and College football are in the middle of their seasons. Just won't sell.

Robert Goren
08-14-2010, 08:52 AM
One fact that hasn't been brought up is that the BC is during Football season. No horse will ever be on the cover no matter what while the NFL and College football are in the middle of their seasons. Just won't sell. Maybe she could be on the cover of the swimsuit issue.;)

PaceAdvantage
08-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Let's say RA was having a superlative yr and she were on the cover of a magazine. Would your answer change - on the "help the game" question? I assume no, but interested in your thoughts.Of course my answer would not change. Why should it? It doesn't matter what horse ends up on the cover of SI. I think that's been proven time and again.

bigmack
08-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Here's an archive of all the horse racing covers they've had over the years:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/topic/cover/Horse_Racing/1900-01-01/2100-12-31/dd/1/58/index.htm

What was this story about back in '78?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/1106_large.jpg

thaskalos
08-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Here's an archive of all the horse racing covers they've had over the years:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/topic/cover/Horse_Racing/1900-01-01/2100-12-31/dd/1/58/index.htm

What was this story about back in '78?

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/1106_large.jpgMaster race fixer Tony Ciulla.

chickenhead
08-14-2010, 11:01 PM
so basically a cover a year, often multiples per year, thru 1980 -- with 6 (and only 4 of those being full covers rather than tiny little insets) in the 30 years since. 4 covers in 30 years down from 1 per year is pretty freaking sad.

A cover is at the very least a sign of relevance, a reminder that this thing exists.

Of course, I don't think Sports Illustrated is nearly as relevant as they used to be, either.

horses721
08-16-2010, 03:18 PM
God im going to get drilled for this..!

Last horse to be on the cover of Si was Big Red...IF IF Zenyatta finishes her career with 20 wins and no losses,and wins back to back BC classic is she worthy of the SI cover,,,it could help the game....She got personality,dance moves,named after the a album...
IMO it would be a great story for SI

Racing needs more than having a horse on the cover of SI to help the game.

WinterTriangle
08-16-2010, 06:53 PM
-doesnt if frustrate you she doesnt travel much and if she did, wouldnt that increase the metrics you are referring to?

I believe DeanT is speaking not as a horse racing handicapper/fan, but as an observer of community/internet/media culture. (he can correct me if I've misinterpreted his point).

What he's saying is that she is not only amply covered in the traditional 1.0 world, but she's a phenomena and rocking the metrics in the 2.0 world as well.......and more specifically, in NON horse-racing venues.

She's made "trending topic" on countless non-horseracing internet social networking sites, blogspots, etc. These aren't even horse racing venues at all.

(that's in addition to conversations/debates *about her* on horse racing related sites and forums)

We expect that traditional 1.0 broadcasting will "push" certain information to an attentive audience, that is how we oldsters are used to getting our news, but 2.0 is conversations in huge communities that are totally decentralized i.e. tap into what is termed "the collective wisdom".

So not only is she breaking the barriers by trending in non-horseracing venues, but it's also not even regional (i.e, CA)

(A guy over at Paulick Report was complaining that all his horseracing friends in Maryland were ga-ga Zen fans and how annoying he found it.)

In other words, even "Brangelina" and "Beckham" would have a tough time competing with her. :lol:

anyway, I *think* Dean is speaking about her in those terms. :confused:

I don't know if this will help horseracing. SI is tradional media, and it is aimed toward the sport fan. I do believe that 2.0 is way more gravitational than traditional 1.0 media simply because the latter's audience has to specifically tune in to a very specific source to get information about a certain arena of interest. . But, when a racehorse "trends" in social media, people who are talking about other sports, as well as non-sports related subjects, are also receiving the information and the "pull". It's like they've been welcomed/invited to somebody else's campfire as opposed to staying at their own tent site.

carlonr
08-16-2010, 07:13 PM

Question? If New York had the same climate year round that southern California has, do you think horses would got to Gulfstream?

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Question? If New York had the same climate year round that southern California has, do you think horses would got to Gulfstream?I hope Zenyatta starts the "ban shipping" trend all over the nation.

Everyone just stay home from now on.

Good luck on the 2011 Triple Crown trail... :lol:

All these excuses piling up for Zenyatta are simply unreal.