View Full Version : A little double standard in the news ?Coulter

JustRalph
08-13-2010, 04:02 PM
http://www.anncoulter.com/

http://www.anncoulter.com/images/logo.gif
"LET'S PLAY 'SPOT THE DEMOCRAT'!
by Ann Coulter
August 11, 2010

In the greatest party-affiliation cover-up since the media tried to portray Gary Condit as a Republican, the media are refusing to mention the party affiliation of the thieving government officials in Bell, Calif.

There have been hundreds of news stories about Bell city officials' jaw-dropping salaries. In this poor city on the outskirts of Los Angeles, where the per capita annual income is $24,800 a year, the city manager, Robert Rizzo, had a salary of $787,637.

That's about twice what the president of the United States makes. (To be fair, Rizzo was doing a better job.)

Rizzo was the highest-paid government employee in the entire country, not counting Maxine Waters' husband -- pending further revelations. With benefits, his total annual compensation, according to the Los Angeles Times, came to $1.5 million a year.

Alerted to the Bell situation, the White House quickly added the Bell city manager to the list of jobs saved by its stimulus plan.

Not only that, but Rizzo was entitled to 28 weeks off a year for vacation and sick leave. To put that in perspective, that's almost as much vacation time as public school teachers get!

Reached in Spain, even Michelle Obama was outraged.

Much more at the link

Let's Roll
08-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Ann's great articles come online every Wednesday night. I never miss them. :ThmbUp:

TJDave
08-13-2010, 05:58 PM
I have no sympathy for the residents of Bell. In 2005 Bell had an election to become a charter city. Four hundred out of a total population of over 35,000 decided it was important enough to cast a vote. The city is almost 80% Latino, half of which are foreign born. Bell is a sanctuary city. The policies which led to the exorbitant salaries were voted on in open meetings by fairly elected city officials. The only people the citizens of Bell have a right to criticize are themselves. F**k 'em.

JustRalph
08-13-2010, 06:07 PM
I have no sympathy for the residents of Bell. In 2005 Bell had an election to become a charter city. Four hundred out of a total population of over 35,000 decided it was important enough to cast a vote. The city is almost 80% Latino, half of which are foreign born. Bell is a sanctuary city. The policies which led to the exorbitant salaries were voted on in open meetings by fairly elected city officials. The only people the citizens of Bell have a right to criticize are themselves. F**k 'em.

Excellent points Dave.

cj's dad
08-13-2010, 08:47 PM

Excellent !!

Tom
08-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Nothing bad enough can happen to a sanctuary city. Nothing.

mostpost
08-14-2010, 02:33 AM
According to what I read, Robert Rizzo took Bell from a shortfall of $22M to 15 years of surpluses and a current surplus of $20.7M. If true (I have my doubts) that would be worth what? $150-200K?

bigmack
08-14-2010, 02:41 AM
According to what I read, Robert Rizzo took Bell from a shortfall of $22M to 15 years of surpluses and a current surplus of $20.7M. If true (I have my doubts) that would be worth what? $150-200K?
Did you read anything about property taxes being illegally taxed?

On Friday, some Bell residents said they were angry about being overtaxed but that they found the controller's findings vindicating.

"As a resident and property owner I am very outraged," said Ali Saleh, co-founder of the Bell Assn. to Stop the Abuse. "This proves all the complaining we have done about the high taxes is true."

Bell resident Huitzil Arenas, 43, agreed, adding: "I'm very angry.... They stole money from the people."
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bell-taxes-20100814,0,627656.story

mostpost
08-14-2010, 03:06 AM
Did you read anything about property taxes being illegally taxed?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bell-taxes-20100814,0,627656.story
I did not. And I was not defending the salaries or the actions of the official. I merely said even if Rizzo did improve the finances of Bell, it would not justify anywhere near his $800K salary. Especially since he apparently did it with an illegal tax raise.
ETA: Will comment on the alleged fact they are all Democrats tomorrow.

JustRalph
08-14-2010, 03:14 AM
28 weeks vacation .....too........... :faint:

bigmack
08-14-2010, 03:17 AM
Will comment on the alleged fact they are all Democrats tomorrow.
There's only 5 and they're all D. How much time/research are you planning to put into this latest caper? :rolleyes:

boxcar
08-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Will comment on the alleged fact they are all Democrats tomorrow.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, you do that. Come back and tell us that they're all conservatives after you get your talking points from Politico or DU. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Boxcar
P.S. Without doubt libs have a huge Culture of Corruption problem, wouldn't you say? And you were the one who unabashedly said once that government institutions are basically honest -- only corrupt around the edges. :rolleyes:

woodtoo
08-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Don't bother..... Please.

I did not. And I was not defending the salaries or the actions of the official. I merely said even if Rizzo did improve the finances of Bell, it would not justify anywhere near his $800K salary. Especially since he apparently did it with an illegal tax raise.
ETA: Will comment on the alleged fact they are all Democrats tomorrow.

DJofSD
08-14-2010, 10:00 AM
I don't know about the media cover up. Maybe she just is watching too much boob tube but the LA Times has been covering that story from the beginning.

P.S. I believe this is one of the first articles, if not the first:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bell-salary-20100715,0,7352605.story

Many, many more follow.

mostpost
08-14-2010, 12:52 PM
There's only 5 and they're all D. How much time/research are you planning to put into this latest caper? :rolleyes:
Not much at all. Party does not determine corruption. Opportunity does. In Chicago all the crooks are democrats. Why? There are no Republicans. Out in the collar counties all the crooks are Republicans. Why? Not many democrats.

My big question is where did Coulter get her info. She references the OC Register, but I did not find anything. I found a blog in which a guy said they must be democrats because the town of Bell is in a Democratic congressional district and two of the trustees endorsed a democrat for congressman.
In a small town like Bell the officials may personally be Democrat or Republican but they don't run as such. Endorsements are pragmatic. If you are depending on a representative for grants and funding, you endorse the candidate who is going to win.

boxcar
08-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Not much at all. Party does not determine corruption. Opportunity does. In Chicago all the crooks are democrats. Why? There are no Republicans. Out in the collar counties all the crooks are Republicans. Why? Not many democrats.

WHAT!? I agree that Parties do not determine corruption. But neither does opportunity. "Opportunity" doesn't stick its greedy fingers in the till to steal the public's money, for example. People do that! People succumb to their greed for money and lust for power. Opportunity doesn't do either. Morally weak people are the ones who can't resist temptation. Neither Temptation or Opportunity are the culprits here. People are!

But having said all this, Mosty, one is led to wonder why we keep reading about crooked politicians when the institution of government, according to you, is morally superior, generally, to the "evil" private sector. Care to explain this? According to libs, the private sector is bubbling over with all forms of nasty wickedness, but government is only tainted around the edges. Yes?

Boxcar

skate
08-14-2010, 01:22 PM

Yes sir, that's some big Time info right there i'll tell you, yep.

I dont use a tv but i've heard about this story and no way it should be overlooked.
That there situation is comparable to a "Black Hole", im thinking.

And Ann, being Ann, is a really Big example of the-"Truth".

The fact that she is put to Questions, for stating True Facts, about the Obvious, shows how much of a Black Hole we are in.

Anyone who's not read "Treason" by Ann, should do so, especially if you are in doubt about her conclusions.

skate
08-14-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't know about the media cover up. Maybe she just is watching too much boob tube but the LA Times has been covering that story from the beginning.

P.S. I believe this is one of the first articles, if not the first:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bell-salary-20100715,0,7352605.story

Many, many more follow.

It's called a 'bone'

skate
08-14-2010, 01:33 PM
DJofSJ;

How many articles have you seen lately on the Pay Scale of All Gov workers.

Congress went from $64.000/Yr in 1980 to $175,000/Yr in 2010.

If the working man had a steady increase just 1/2 of what congress Gave Themselves, he'd not need any help with Med Ins.

When they make this an issue, i'll give them (media) a look.

Until then, please pull the TV plug, it will mean More than your vote.:)

DJofSD
08-14-2010, 03:19 PM
I've seen articles, and it has been discussed on at least two different radio talk show programs and Kudlow's program. And why your bringing up the payscale issue, how about the underfunded state employee pension programs?

JustRalph
08-14-2010, 03:36 PM
My big question is where did Coulter get her info. She references the OC Register, but I did not find anything.

Ann uses Lexis Nexus, just like every big time writer. If you want access to Lexis Nexus, go ahead and get out your credit card

http://web.lexis.com/xchange/ccsubs/cc_prods.asp

It's one of 3 very nice services available ......... depending on your interests

delayjf
08-15-2010, 11:58 AM
I have no sympathy for the residents of Bell.
Your point is well taken, however there are now allegations of voter fraud, I'm not sure how that jives with the salary controversy. And, it's not confined to Rizzo, the chief of Police was earning more than twice the compensation of LA's chief of police. The assist city manager was making around 400k.

Also, the city of Bell will not be picking up the entire bill, I heard a report that neighboring cities will also have to throw in something into the kitty.

There also a car towing scandal that has been going on for years that is no being investigated.

toetoe
08-15-2010, 12:13 PM
She references the OC Register

That is not a verb, Sir, any more than is jews or efforts [researches is on the bubble], even in Leftlandia. :D

toetoe
08-15-2010, 12:17 PM
Oh, yeah ... transitions: no, no, NO !!!

cj's dad
08-15-2010, 12:25 PM

My big question is where did Coulter get her info. She references the OC Register, but I did not find anything. I found a blog in which a guy said they must be democrats because the town of Bell is in a Democratic congressional district and two of the trustees endorsed a democrat for congressman.
In a small town like Bell the officials may personally be Democrat or Republican but they don't run as such. Endorsements are pragmatic. If you are depending on a representative for grants and funding, you endorse the candidate who is going to win.

I think it is absolutely hysterical that you didn't insert the word "white" in

Out in the >here< collar counties all the crooks are Republicans. Why? Not many democrats.

What's the problem ? Are you afraid of being called a racist ?? :lol:

skate
08-15-2010, 03:19 PM
I've seen articles, and it has been discussed on at least two different radio talk show programs and Kudlow's program. And why your bringing up the payscale issue, how about the underfunded state employee pension programs?

Larry does a great job, not always correct but ver y good as far as im concerned. He's is the only one that i miss, i here he has a radio program, maybe once a week show.

Pension programs, i guess, just another matter of the ELECTED offials stealing.

An excellent reason for pulling the plug. Votes mean Almost Nothing.;)