PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Trainer at Oaklawn

rbricker
08-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I am looking to place a 2yr old filly with a trainer at Oaklawn. Any ideas?

tribecaagent
08-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Who else?
Tim Ice

CryingForTheHorses
08-13-2010, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=rbricker]I am looking to place a 2yr old filly with a trainer at Oaklawn. Any ideas?[/QUOTE

Too bad you wernt talking about South Florida...2yo capital of the world

Learned Hand35
08-13-2010, 08:34 PM
I've mucked stalls, rode old ponies, always looked at works and said "why did he/she work at those distances?"

Plus I am close by, can read a racing form, and will work for free.

bane
08-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Bob Holthus is still the man at Oaklawn

awaits ridicule.

Honestly I would head to Ellis or LAD right, walk in the track kitchen and start speaking to people on that.

Bruddah
08-13-2010, 10:36 PM
If I were to have a young horse at Oaklawn, Tim Ice would be my choice. :ThmbUp:

bushwick
08-13-2010, 10:54 PM
Why would you have a 2yr old filly at Oaklawn? Its not going to run there Explore your options and get it ready elsewhere.

sonnyp
08-13-2010, 11:01 PM
how's she bred and how far along is she ?

lamboguy
08-13-2010, 11:21 PM
i would need to know more of your background and what type of horse you have and where you broke and what type of training you need. i highly doubt that oaklawn would let you bring a 2 year old into the place until very late in the meet. remember they start in jan. and run until april. there are very few races in april period.

this year i am not even breaking my horses until january. they won't be ready to run until july at earliest. i highly advise you to take that route as there are less and less outfits that got horses ready early. the only places that run early are keeneland and california. if you like synthetic surface california is your place.

as far as tim ice goes, he looks half decent to me, and if you want to be in new york and have the horse that can run there tim ice sure could work well for you.

mcshelll is right about florida because they your horse in early. there are plenty of guys there too that are probably 10 times better at 2 yo;s than tim ice is to start out with.

Mineshaft
08-14-2010, 09:56 AM
2 yr olds dont run at Oaklawn unless you want the horse to get legged up there.

Hell they might not even allow 2 yr olds on the grounds.

lamboguy
08-14-2010, 10:06 AM
2 yr olds dont run at Oaklawn unless you want the horse to get legged up there.

Hell they might not even allow 2 yr olds on the grounds.i know that tampa lets you bring them in the last month of the meet. tampa's surface is a great place to start training 2 yo's. i know a trainer there that uses the place as a training center in april. he is one of the leading trainers this year in monmouth. one more thing tampa is only 2 hour away from ocala.

now that i think of it, i have never seen any works from oaklawn with 2 yo's.

Mineshaft
08-14-2010, 11:45 AM
i know that dont even write 2 yr old races there but not sure if they let them on the grounds at Oaklawn

lamboguy
08-14-2010, 12:05 PM
i know that dont even write 2 yr old races there but not sure if they let them on the grounds at Oaklawnthe guys that are good with the 2 yo's there are pretty simple, ateve assmussen, timmy ritchey, steve hobby, larry jones. they are all pretty good if you ask me, you might not make any money with them as an owner though.

what i do is get them ready and then go to 2nd string trainers where i call the shots and go from there. i don't get to many stake winners though the way i do it. but i am not looking for them anyway, i try to sell them to someone else that can do a better job than myself. 2nd string trainers and riders make great selling points in my game. the guys buying the horses think its as easy as pie to improve on me because those owners are all lined up with high profile riders and trainers, and once in awhile they do very well.

Bruddah
08-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Why would you have a 2yr old filly at Oaklawn? Its not going to run there Explore your options and get it ready elsewhere.

Oh I don't know? If she's two now then she'll turn 3 January 1st. Oaklawn's racing dates start approximately January 15th. Seems like a good reason to look for a trainer for a prospective 2yo at Oaklawn...don't ya think?

Just for the record, Oaklawn did away with 2yo baby races in the 70's. That's why they have one of the better 3yo meets early in the season.

lamboguy
08-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Oh I don't know? If she's two now then she'll turn 3 January 1st. Oaklawn's racing dates start approximately January 15th. Seems like a good reason to look for a trainer for a prospective 2yo at Oaklawn...don't ya think?
if the horse is ready now he or she should be in a race already.

Bruddah
08-14-2010, 01:15 PM
if the horse is ready now he or she should be in a race already.

Again, just thinking. If she's ready now, seems they might all ready have a trainer and not looking for one. A lot of good 2yo's don't start their formal training until the latter part of their 2yo year. Additionally, the poster said he was looking for a good trainer for a 2yo, and not a race for 2yo's. Therefore, my post was to his question.

Your post above makes my very point.