PDA

View Full Version : “Cordero would try and hurt you, and he didn’t care if he hurt you,” Pierce said. “

andymays
08-13-2010, 03:36 AM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/aug/12/grand-end-to-jockeys-humble-beginning/

Excerpt:

Del Mar — Don Pierce started riding horses at bush tracks, crudely constructed ovals where guys bet on horses with no names ridden by fearless teenagers with no fear.

His jockey gear consisted of Levi’s, a T-shirt and a baseball hat turned backward. There was no helmet, no flak jacket or boots, just tennis shoes on his feet and a heart bursting with bravery.

“We got $5 if we won, nothing if we didn’t win,” Pierce said. “They were mostly match races. No gate. They just rang a bell to start, like in the movie, ‘Seabiscuit.’ I loved that movie because it reminded me of those days.”

PaceAdvantage
08-13-2010, 03:50 AM
I must again remind everyone that when discussing copyrighted material contained elsewhere, a link to the article plus one or two paragraphs worth of excerpt is all that is allowed.

joanied
08-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the story andy...Pierce deserves to be in the Hall of Fame...I wish I'd known HRTV was going to air it...looks like I missed it unless they have a replay...I want to see John Rotz introduce him...Rotz was one of my all time favorite jocks...and he sure had a way with the fillies/mares...
those were the days:)

Pick6
08-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Probably a better judge of pace than any other jockey in modern times.