PDA

View Full Version : Red Seattle, The KING of Ferndale.

Stillriledup
08-13-2010, 03:20 AM
14 year old Red Seattle makes his 2010 debut at Ferndale on Friday in the 5th race, 5:09 PT post time in case anyone wants to watch.

3-1 ML from post 1.

BlueShoe
08-13-2010, 11:22 AM
7 wins in 12 starts at Ferndale lifetime, once upon a time this old boy could really roll here. When and where is the last time a 14 year old raced anywhere in North America? Trying to recall if California has rules banning runners beyond a certain age from competing, thought that they did. Wish him well today, am out of that race, passing. The Emerald shipper looks tough, but do not want the expected short price. The #7 could win it, and old Red might fire off of the layoff. Pass.

kenwoodall2
08-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Thank you! I'm going to bet $10 on the nose on RS.

Stillriledup
08-13-2010, 05:39 PM
I think 15 is the mandatory retirement age, so this is RS's last hurrah at the Fern.

statepierback
08-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Last season he seemed to me to have lost a step or two. No doubt a horse that is etched in Ferndale history. I'm alive to the 3and 7 in pick 3's. I'm banking R.S. will need a race and will come back later in the meet.

InsideThePylons-MW
08-13-2010, 08:04 PM
3/2578

statepierback
08-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Shame on me for not at else using Red Seattle 9/2 WOW

Stillriledup
08-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Thank you! I'm going to bet $10 on the nose on RS.

:jump:

owlet
08-14-2010, 02:34 AM
I believe back around the turn of the century an Oregon trainer named Nancy Klapatch had this horse and then I know for years Karen Haverty had him. Interesting that he is in the Morey barn now...although apparently Jim Haverty is the "assistant."

lamboguy
08-14-2010, 07:34 AM
red seattle opened up at 1-9. he was 1-9 with 2 minutes before post time. i was looking for 3-5 on him. i saw the result and got sick that i missed him.

on another note, sarah nelson ran a poor second there yesterdy. she obviously has seen her better day. i guess that is the toll a mule takes by getter clobbered by bar jf hot ticket so many times. it must take the spirit out of them, because yesterday's field was commotose.

BlueShoe
08-14-2010, 10:19 AM
Nice to see the old guy win and pay $11.60 off of the nearly years layoff, but he did get some help. When the 4-5 fav veered out sharply at the break and turned the start into a rodeo by pretty much eliminating all the runners in posts 4 to 8, it made things easier for old Red. Odds on in the early wagering until the last 5 minutes and then drifting upward, since the early pools at Ferndale are very small, thought that the money might have been just sentimental bets from the fans. Should have payed more attention, the board said the old guy was cranked up and would fire off of the layoff. He might be a good go against in his next out. At 14 and the long layoff, did that race empty the bank on the old boy? At Ferndale horses race back very quickly, not uncommon to see them start three times during the short meeting, two starts commonplace. We most surely will see RS again soon, provided he came out of the race okay.

TEJAS KIDD
08-14-2010, 01:10 PM
I hope he runs back next week. Huge bet against. If not for the gift of the entire field getting wiped out at the start he would not have won. 3 veered right, 7 veered left, 456 all crunched, then 2 carries 3 out into the 1st turn. All eliminated except Red Seattle.
On another note, this will probably never happen again and probably has never happened before. A racehorse winning a race in 3 seperate decades.
Red Seattle broke his maiden in 1999, won numerous times in the 2k decade and now won in his 101st career start in the 2k10's.
I think the racing secretary at Ferndale is going to write a condition next week for him. Claiming 2500 13yo and up for winners of a race in the 90's.

statepierback
08-19-2010, 07:45 AM
Returns Friday race 4, 6/5 on the morning line.

BlueShoe
08-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Returns Friday race 4, 6/5 on the morning line.
Could be the last race of his career. Now, we have to ask ourselves, "To bounce or not to bounce, that is the question". My apologies to the Bard of Avon.:)

JBmadera
08-19-2010, 12:50 PM
I had a couple of old geldings, not quite his age, but they LOVED to run. however, they would get pretty beat after a hard effort. not going to play the race but if he's anything like my old boys he's gonna be a bit tired.

hopefully there's no monkey biz going on (ie drugs).

jb

statepierback
08-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Red Seattle opens up odds on. I am playing against him once again, using the 1 and 5. Fool me once, {you know the rest} Race goes in 15 minutes.

TEJAS KIDD
08-20-2010, 07:52 PM
That should be it for him. I hope he handles retirement well. Karen Haverty wrote over on the HTR board about this guy. Seems he doesnt like being turned out, which is why they bring him back every year. He really did get a gift trip last week.

Stillriledup
08-21-2010, 02:45 AM
That should be it for him. I hope he handles retirement well. Karen Haverty wrote over on the HTR board about this guy. Seems he doesnt like being turned out, which is why they bring him back every year. He really did get a gift trip last week.

That's it for Red, enjoy your retirement RS, you earned it!

BlueShoe
08-21-2010, 12:24 PM
A badly beaten last in the five horse field, this may have been his last hurrah. The betting seemed to say that the old guy was not going to run another good one. 6-5 choice on the ML, he actually went off as the 3rd choice at 2-1. The winner, who closed as the slight favorite, also at 2-1, received strong late play that proved correct.

BlueShoe
08-12-2011, 01:08 AM
Well, old Red may be gone from the racing scene, but the Humboldt County Fair is back. With all the attention focused on the upcoming weekends stakes action, opening day at Ferndale, tomorrow friday the 12th, has perhaps been overlooked. Only 8 days of racing at this unique little 1/2 mile dirt track. Some challenging handicapping situations, Ferndale is more suited to casual betting rather than serious investment. Have always enjoyed this short meet, and have had some fun playing and watching it.