PDA

View Full Version : Craig Fravel = Moron

InsideThePylons-MW
08-12-2010, 03:12 PM
Talking about takeout on CA racing while obviously justifying the takeout increases that are on their way........

"In terms of takeout we are significantly lower than most jurisdictions. NYRA’s three-horse wagers are 26%, compared with 20.68% for Del Mar. That 20.68% is on superfectas, pick threes, pick fours and pick sixes. Monmouth’s takeout is 25% on those three-horse bets. We still have plenty of room to be price competitive."

Stillriledup
08-12-2010, 03:32 PM
I'd recommend people to bet as much Del Mar/So Cal racing as you can right now, so when the takeout increases come and you stop betting, they'll see more of a dropoff.

jelly
08-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Craig Fravel should be fired!

kenwoodall2
08-12-2010, 05:50 PM
DM has many months after the increase to see the result before DM opens again. Good to see track operators want uniform standards throughout the country!LOL!! :lol:

Stillriledup
08-12-2010, 10:58 PM

It won't matter, they're not smart enough to hire someone who knows anything anyway, so, what's the difference if its Fravel or some other bozo?

Its all the same.

ManeMediaMogul
08-13-2010, 06:01 AM

I have known Craig Fravel for over 20 years. He works tirelessly for the Thoroughbred industry in California and is one of the few racetrack operators who has a clue. It would be a horrible shame to lose him.

DJofSD
08-13-2010, 09:54 AM
YA, the T'bred industry -- the owners, breeders and trainers.

He obviously has no problem sticking to the bettors.

Horseplayersbet.com
08-13-2010, 10:36 AM
YA, the T'bred industry -- the owners, breeders and trainers.

He obviously has no problem sticking to the bettors.
If he is convinced upping the takeout will give California horsemen more revenues, his vision will stick it to the horsemen.

There is absolutely no chance upping the takeout will create higher revenues for racetracks and horsemen in California. All that will result, is players playing less, and more players leaving because they lose too quickly. And not to mention there will be a small percentage of players who actually boycott.

I honestly believe that most horsemen know this won't work, and there will not be an influx of horses in California or bigger purses that result from this.

It is absolutely crazy to up takeout. There is absolutely no evidence that it will lead to more money for the tracks and horsemen. None. In fact, there is a lot of evidence to the contrary.

Maybe they can blur the issue by reducing dates to coincide with the takeout hike like Los Al did. That way they won't look like total nincompoops.

kenwoodall2
08-13-2010, 12:45 PM
I just read the whole question and answer and CF was talking about being competitive CURrENTLY in spite of help in other states with their tracks by slots and govt handouts. IMHO CF is TOT advocating raising betting tax (takeout). Just send those boxes of losing tickets to CHRB and Perez!!LOL!!

bigmack
08-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Most of these guys wouldn't know Fravel if he was sitting right next to them.
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/cv.jpg

There, now we do.

How 'bout you address this asinine comment of his:
We still have plenty of room to be price competitive

Stillriledup
08-13-2010, 05:37 PM

Pace Advantage should send them a year's supply of Hater-Aid.

Its got nothing to do with hateraid. It has everything to do with raising the prices of the bets. Many understand that Fravel has nothing to do with the raising of the prices, its his comment about those prospective price raises that has people scratching their heads. How can a smart exec not realize that raising takeout will hurt the bottom line and not help it. This is why the OP feels like he's a moron.

cj
08-13-2010, 07:13 PM

Pace Advantage should send them a year's supply of Hater-Aid.

I'm not so sure you want to be siding with the clown you quoted. He is a troll that had several posts deleted for attacking another poster and threatening him and likes to send PA profanity filled emails. Yet, he doesn't "appreciate" insults?

Fingal
08-13-2010, 08:45 PM
I have not yet found a source for Fravel's quote

That's the thing. With one, for a statement like that he deserves to take flack. Without one................:sleeping: .

DeanT
08-13-2010, 09:12 PM
That's the thing. With one, for a statement like that he deserves to take flack. Without one................:sleeping: .

It's sourced and an accurate comment by Mr. Fravel.

http://blog.horseplayersassociation.org/2010/08/interesting-comment.html

jelly
08-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the link Dean.

The guy's wrong on Takeout.

The guy's wrong on Synthetic.

The guy's wrong for the Job.

rwwupl
08-14-2010, 10:24 AM
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/cv.jpg

There, now we do.

How 'bout you address this asinine comment of his:
We still have plenty of room to be price competitive

Yes Craig, you do have plenty of room to be price competitive.No, you are not a moron,just wrong.

Price competitive with who or what? If you recognize that your competition is other forms of gambling,like poker, I agree with you. About 10% across the Board would be about right.

The problem is I get the feeling you are going in the wrong direction. Your competition is not other race tracks which are also too high...

Please remember this...you need customers more than customers need you. Customers have choices now, you need to start competing for THEM.

Indulto
08-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks, BgM, for putting a face to the voice.

rw, does he always look so fravelled, I mean frazzled?

There's something wrong with this picture. I'm referring to the takeout situation. Here we've tried for over two years to inform players, horsemen, and management about the necessity and desirability of lowering takeout, and the result is that they're going to raise it instead. :bang:

Mr. Fravel, are you trying to break the record for disastrous decisions in a decade by a racing director?

Maybe he wants California horseplayers to take SRU's advice and move out-of-state to get a rebate before everything unfravels here. :jump:

Then Del Mar's new president could run for Governor based on his proven track record of dealing with the state's overpopulation.

The_Knight_Sky
08-16-2010, 04:21 PM
We still have plenty of room to be price competitive.

Woe to the person who thinks he's in "competition" against other racetracks.

A successful business person should be thinking what he/she
can offer the customers that other racetrack are not doing (or are unwilling to do).

Instead of blazing trails with a 15% Pick Four, Mr. Fravel's track
chose to introduce another exotics pool in excess of a 20% takeout rate.

Even with the introduction of an entirely new wagering pool,
how is the DMR all-sources handle doing as a result, Mr. Fravel?

Stillriledup
08-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Woe to the person who thinks he's in "competition" against other racetracks.

A successful business person should be thinking what he/she
can offer the customers that other racetrack are not doing (or are unwilling to do).

Instead of blazing trails with a 15% Pick Four, Mr. Fravel's track
chose to introduce another exotics pool in excess of a 20% takeout rate.

Even with the introduction of an entirely new wagering pool,
how is the DMR all-sources handle doing as a result, Mr. Fravel?

Good post.

I think DMR's attitude is that instead of trying to figure out how to 'do right' by their customers (for lack of a better word) they're trying to figure out what's the most they can charge so that they're a millimeter below the breaking point. They understand that this is a tough economy and people these days are a bit more frugal with their money, and yet DMR is trying to squeeze every last penny out of their patrons.

Other businesses out there are lowering prices and DMR (not DMR specifically, but you get the gist) is trying to raise them to force their customers to the breaking point.

I guess the So Cal tracks attitude is that if you live in So Cal and you want to attend (and bet) live racing, we're going to make you pay the nose to do it.

The_Knight_Sky
08-18-2010, 03:50 PM
.... yet DMR is trying to squeeze every last penny out of their patrons.

They are also trying to "conserve" funds on a failed racing surface.
They had 10 months to give what the public wants - a dirt surface.
Del Mar management did not pursue it.

Instead, of changing the surface they changed the track superintendent
to Richard Tedesco knowing fully well that there would be scrutiny of the Del Mar surfaces. But that is no substitute for what needs to be done,
what must be done.

BTW: Has anyone looked at that DMR turf course lately :confused:

As long as Southern California continues to race on the fake junk
the all-sources handle will continue to plummet. And that should be
a reflection on how the nation's horseplayers perceive the racing product.

DJofSD
08-18-2010, 04:12 PM
That's the Al Davis solution: instead of building a winning team, get a new coach.

Stillriledup
08-18-2010, 10:32 PM
That's the Al Davis solution: instead of building a winning team, get a new coach.

Wow, now DMR is the Al Davis of horse racing. Not good for DMR.

The_Knight_Sky
08-20-2010, 08:47 AM
Wow, now DMR is the Al Davis of horse racing. Not good for DMR.

And the resemblance to Fred Biletnikoff is uncanny ! :D