PDA

View Full Version : Ferndale

netbet
08-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Hi all,

Just wanted to get some input on the racing at Ferndale (Humboldt County Fair).

I might have to watch these races this year as I understand that Frank Mirahmadi will be calling the races.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

cj
08-12-2010, 01:55 PM
My suggestion would be to stick to watching.

completebill
08-12-2010, 03:55 PM
FERNDALE!!!----I'm leaving Fri. a.m., For the Humboldt County Fair meet--fabled home of the Humboldt County Marathon---31/2 laps around this teeny oval.I wouldn't miss it.

Go--watch--enjoy. Great, great fun. A terrific little town--do make sure to give yourself a few hours to stroll up and down Main Street, and visit all the little stores, shops and galleries.

Added bonus--small town, small track, total attendance underwhelming, but the place is just FULL of beautiful young women.

Handicapping?? Look for jockeys who know the track. Look for horses who have previously run there, or at least have experience on small tracks with VERY tight turns. ( I have seen, over the years, a number of horses who "blew" the turn(s) so badly they ran right thru the fence and out into the adjacent fields).

As is true pretty universally at the very lower levels of racing, it is CLASS/ back class that rules.

Finally, look for the successful, "name" trainers who, for some reason have some horses entered at Ferndale. Just look at the early entries. I see horses trained by Bill Morey, Steve Miyadi, Jeff Bonde, Sergio Ledezma, Doug Utley, Ray Thomas, and Keith Craigmyle. These guys aren't just there for a little vacation. Ignore their horses at your own peril!!

Lastly------Barry Meadows is ALWAYS at Ferndale. Maybe he'll give you a pointer or so!!!

JBmadera
08-12-2010, 04:00 PM
enjoy the cool weather, bevy of young ladies and cold beer....pass on the racing imho......it's God's country up there sans the racing.

completebill
08-12-2010, 05:03 PM
enjoy the cool weather, bevy of young ladies and cold beer....pass on the racing imho......it's God's country up there sans the racing.

Eureka (11 miles North)------cool weather. Been raining recently.
Ferndale-----Can usually expect sun & nice, moderate temps.

completebill
08-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Early Fri. Ferndale picks----Selections are in order of preference. Primary win CANDIDATES in parentheses (). L.S. possibilities in brackets [].

4. (6,7) --5, 1,2 [5,1,8]
5. (3)---1.7--------Best single on card
6. (8,6) --1.4---------Fav is a strong bet-against
7. (1,7,8)--Fav is legitimate, but a horrible bet at the price. I'll "save" w/
the #1, and try to make real $$ with 7 & 8.
8. (6,1)---3.5 [5,2]
9. 2-6-3-5-7. Tough race. Insist on value.

JBmadera
08-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Early Fri. Ferndale picks----Selections are in order of preference. Primary win CANDIDATES in parentheses (). L.S. possibilities in brackets [].

4. (6,7) --5, 1,2 [5,1,8]
5. (3)---1.7--------Best single on card
6. (8,6) --1.4---------Fav is a strong bet-against
7. (1,7,8)--Fav is legitimate, but a horrible bet at the price. I'll "save" w/
the #1, and try to make real $$ with 7 & 8.
8. (6,1)---3.5 [5,2]
9. 2-6-3-5-7. Tough race. Insist on value.

now you got me looking at the pp's....:)

In the 8th I think the :5: is very good value if you can get 7-1 or so, and I agree that in the 7th the :7: has a decent chance for the upset.

GL!

chickenhead
08-12-2010, 07:55 PM
If I recall, and I may not, flat betting post positions 1 through 3, but tossing any horse from Grants Pass --generally boasts very near a flat bet profit for the first week.

Believe it, or not.

completebill
08-12-2010, 08:05 PM
If I recall, and I may not, flat betting post positions 1 through 3, but tossing any horse from Grants Pass --generally boasts very near a flat bet profit for the first week.

Believe it, or not.

Very believable. Thanks for pointing out my earlier omission--indeed, inside posts are preferred (probably because of the tight turns). Early speed, too, is an advantage.

completebill
08-12-2010, 08:19 PM

Believe it, or not.

The Grants Pass shippers, though, really dominate at the Tillamook County Fair!!

Stillriledup
08-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Tightest turns known to man.

Smaller handier horses will have a big edge.

BlueShoe
08-13-2010, 11:09 AM
You know that you are really in the bushes when horses coming off of races at the Crook County Fair in Prineville, Oregon (PRV) are serious contenders today at Ferndale.

netbet
08-13-2010, 11:31 AM
I found it amusing to see a 14 year-old (5th-#1 Red Seattle) who has 27 wins lifetime and is 7 for 12 at Ferndale. This one hasn't run since Sep09 but is still only 3/1 on the Morning Line.

Go get 'em old man!

This card looks rather interesting...will be watching on the computer while the kids watch Disney channel on the big screen. :lol:

lamboguy
08-13-2010, 11:33 AM
in today's first race SARAH NELON is in for non-winners. she should be a cinch in that group.i am hoping for 2-5 on her.

BlueShoe
08-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Okay all you mule fans, Sarah N. let you down at 1-2, but today you can get even (?). In the 1st today the reigning champion goes; Bar JF Hot Ticket. Just one little problem, she is a whopping 1-5 on the morning line.:D Bar JF Red Ticket is 2nd choice at 3-1, the other 3 double digits. 4-1 exacta pays what, maybe a buck and a half?:eek:

lamboguy
08-15-2010, 11:44 AM
i will bet the quinella. its not that bad, $2.10 and rebate.

TEJAS KIDD
08-15-2010, 10:09 PM
i will bet the quinella. its not that bad, $2.10 and rebate.

What entity is willing to give you a rebate on a minus pool?

For the 2nd time in a row. Hot TICKET beat his full brother RED TICKET and another full brother ran 3rd Winning TIcket. last time it was Lotto Ticket.
The other full brother won todays 2nd race. Lucky Ticket.
Maybe the racing secretary can write a mule allowance for runners out of the dam Holdalltickets. So they can run
HOT,RED,LUCKY,LOTTO,WINNING TICKET.

Stillriledup
08-15-2010, 10:13 PM
No Place wagering?

completebill
08-17-2010, 09:11 PM
I found it amusing to see a 14 year-old (5th-#1 Red Seattle) who has 27 wins lifetime and is 7 for 12 at Ferndale. This one hasn't run since Sep09 but is still only 3/1 on the Morning Line.

Go get 'em old man!

This card looks rather interesting...will be watching on the computer while the kids watch Disney channel on the big screen. :lol:

KUDOS to Red Seattle. Has there EVER been another racehorse wh won races in THREE separate decades. Broke Mdn--1999. Won many times in 2000's. Now a win in 2010. This racehorse is a hero in MY book!!!