PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE Don't Post From the Las Vegas Review Journal

WeirdWilly
08-12-2010, 04:04 AM
Or any of its sister publications.

They have decided copyright suits are the path to monetize the Internet! :mad:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/copyright-trolling-for-dollars/

http://righthavenvictims.blogspot.com/

So, the next time you want to post a Richard Eng article here or anywhere, remember:

A) These money-grubbing grubs WILL sue, and
B) WHY on Earth would you post a Richard Eng article?

We need copyright reform that protects both rights holders AND free discourse.

BillW
08-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Posting any copyrighted article has never been permitted here.

Or any of its sister publications.

They have decided copyright suits are the path to monetize the Internet! :mad:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/07/copyright-trolling-for-dollars/

http://righthavenvictims.blogspot.com/

So, the next time you want to post a Richard Eng article here or anywhere, remember:

A) These money-grubbing grubs WILL sue, and
B) WHY on Earth would you post a Richard Eng article?

We need copyright reform that protects both rights holders AND free discourse.

WeirdWilly
08-12-2010, 01:37 PM

Theoretically, "Fair Use" should cover excerpts for commentary, but these people appear to be merciless. They seem to be more interested in settling than going to court.

I really hope that somehow this comes back to bite them!

Ultimately, though, this warning is about more than just PaceAdvantage. Anywhere you go on the net, try to stay away from posting ANYTHING from the LVR-J or any other Stephens Media properties.

With luck, getting the word out can drop their audience to the point where they feel it.

Ahhh, who am I kidding? Feel something? We are talking about predatory IP lawyers!

sonnyp
08-12-2010, 09:49 PM

if you credit the author or you post a link to the original article which shows it's origin....does that violate the copyright ?

BillW
08-12-2010, 09:54 PM
I guess anyone can sue anybody for anything and with enough cash can use the courts for extortion.

Theoretically, "Fair Use" should cover excerpts for commentary, but these people appear to be merciless. They seem to be more interested in settling than going to court.

I really hope that somehow this comes back to bite them!

Ultimately, though, this warning is about more than just PaceAdvantage. Anywhere you go on the net, try to stay away from posting ANYTHING from the LVR-J or any other Stephens Media properties.

With luck, getting the word out can drop their audience to the point where they feel it.

Ahhh, who am I kidding? Feel something? We are talking about predatory IP lawyers!

BillW
08-12-2010, 09:58 PM
if you credit the author or you post a link to the original article which shows it's origin....does that violate the copyright ?

I'm not a copyright lawyer so take this for what it's worth. From my understanding "fair use" allows a quote and a link. I have seen sources that explicitly disallow links. In this case I'm not sure how fair use applies.

Maybe PA can give you a better answer.

kenwoodall2
08-13-2010, 01:35 AM
"Search results for "copyright"

There were no results for your search"
Hope it is legal to quote this!

PaceAdvantage
08-13-2010, 01:37 AM
I have maintained that a link to the source and at most, a paragraph or two from the article is all that is allowed. That seems to fit in with the definition of "Fair Use" that I am familiar with as it apples to the Internet.

WeirdWilly
08-13-2010, 03:23 AM
I have maintained that a link to the source and at most, a paragraph or two from the article is all that is allowed. That seems to fit in with the definition of "Fair Use" that I am familiar with as it apples to the Internet.

That's always been my understanding as well.

However, it appears that this is not so much about winning in court as it is intimidating people who cannot afford to fly to Nevada and pay lawyers into settling.

Dave Schwartz
08-13-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm not a copyright lawyer so take this for what it's worth. From my understanding "fair use" allows a quote and a link. I have seen sources that explicitly disallow links. In this case I'm not sure how fair use applies.

I would doubt that anyone can prevent you from using a link to a source when posting commentary. The issue of preventing a link is for putting a general link on a website inferring a connection between the two sites.

Of course, as previously stated, anybody can sue anybody for anything.

Dave

PS: Maybe a lawyer on here could add his opinion?

skate
08-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Eng aint bad:)