PDA

View Full Version : Prez Bush makes a visit

JustRalph
08-12-2010, 01:52 AM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2010/08/george-bush-laura-bush-uso.html

George W. Bush makes surprise visit to U.S. troops

Former President George W. Bush and his wife, Laura, made a surprise visit to U.S. troops this afternoon.

They showed up at the USO in the Dallas-Fort Worth airport. There they mingled with the returning soldiers, thanked them, chatted and posed for photos as proof of the unexpected encounter for folks back home.

The USO just posted an assortment of the photos on its Facebook page, which quickly drew a growing list of appreciative comments.

"What an AWESOME moment," Robert Rowe wrote. "If anyone can't see the President and First Lady's love for our nations troops, they must be dead or blind. May God Bless them ALL !" Richard Cruz wrote: "The look on that kid's face says it all...."

And Shirley Lovely Fry added: "A President and First Lady who love their country and their country's military."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0133f30305a1970b-600wi

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0133f30311b9970b-600wi

PaceAdvantage
08-12-2010, 02:14 AM
Obama would never be caught dead in a photo with sweat stains on his shirt like that...way to go Mr. President! I for one salute you for the fact that you're not a vain, image conscious weasel like your replacement.

Nice tan too...looks like Laura isn't the only first lady who does not vacation with her husband... :lol:

Seriously, a very nice gesture, one that I'm sure will be ripped apart by the Bush bashers...have at him boys...

newtothegame
08-12-2010, 02:28 AM
Truely Classy guy.....
Not looking for the limelight...a heart felt gesture!

lamboguy
08-12-2010, 04:05 AM
those pictures are certainly something that the soldier will cherish for his whole life along with his family.

i have a picture with myself and john f. kennedy in it on a beach in boston before he was president and i wouldn't sell it for all the money in the world. i remember vividly that day when he showed up to the beach to shake all those peoples hands, the women all screamed just like the way they did for paul mccartney and john lennon for the beattles. that was along time ago in 1959 on a very hot sunday in august

OTM Al
08-12-2010, 09:11 AM
He was at the ball game last night too sitting with Nolan Ryan in the front row. Given how hot they were saying it was down there I'm surprised he didn't look like a drown rat.

Robert Goren
08-12-2010, 09:31 AM
As everyone knows I am not a big fan of GWB, but I will give him credit for spending more time with the troops both in office and afterword than any other president in my lifetime.

jballscalls
08-12-2010, 10:34 AM
I heard Bushy was also going down to Haiti soon as well. Kudos to him

Tom
08-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Classy. He could have gone on the View, but made the right choice here. :D

ElKabong
08-13-2010, 01:16 AM
GWB is a damn good fella.

Lambo,
That's an awesome momento you have. Very happy for you!

And Al, it's ridiculously hot here right now. I go out and walk my dogs (they run, i walk) for 40 minutes, i'm drenched in sweat & have to shower when i get back....usually we get a ten-fifteen day period like this in july or aug...maybe i'm getting old but this 2 week stretch is a beast for heat

NJ Stinks
08-13-2010, 01:22 AM
GWB is a damn good fella.

To say I think you are nuts would be understating it. Too bad pictures really aren't worth a 1,000 words. :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
08-13-2010, 01:31 AM
To say I think you are nuts would be understating it. Too bad pictures really aren't worth a 1,000 words. :rolleyes:I can't wait to see what you'll say after Obama leaves town and history comes to the conclusion that GWB wasn't all that bad afterall.

'Cause you know that's gonna happen. History always looks more kindly on Presidents after they have been out of office for a while.

boxcar
08-13-2010, 01:32 AM
To say I think you are nuts would be understating it. Too bad pictures really aren't worth a 1,000 words. :rolleyes:

Yeah...in your book the lying, anti-American snake in the WH is the real good guy, isn't he? :rolleyes:

Boxcar

ElKabong
08-13-2010, 01:33 AM

America agrees with me, Sunshine. Two terms, baybe. Obama won't get that far with the American people :)

But I luv ya anyways.

JustRalph
08-13-2010, 01:48 AM
A little more to look back at on Bush

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/printarticle.cfm/in--i-bush-v--obama-i--bush-wins-in-a-rout-15497

So President Obama describes his predecessor’s policies as “disastrous.” Just for the fun of it, let’s do compare the two records, shall we?

In the wake of a recession that began roughly seven weeks after President Bush took office, America experienced six years of uninterrupted economic growth and a record 52 straight months of job creation that produced more than 8 million new jobs. During the Bush presidency, the unemployment rate averaged 5.3 percent. We saw labor-productivity gains that averaged 2.5 percent annually — a rate that exceeds the averages of the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. Real after-tax income per capita increased by more than 11 percent. And from 2000 to 2007, real GDP grew by more than 17 percent, a gain of nearly $2.1 trillion.

As for Obama’s claim that Bush “turned a budget surplus into a deficit”: by January 2001, when Bush was inaugurated, the budget surpluses were already evaporating as the economy was skidding toward recession (it officially began in March 2001). Combined with the devastating economic effects of 9/11, when we lost around 1 million jobs over 90 days, the surplus went into deficit.

Rather than whine incessantly about the situation, President Bush proposed policies that triggered the kind of sustained growth that saw the deficit fall to 1 percent of GDP ($162 billion) by 2007. Indeed, before the financial crisis of 2008 – which I’ll return to in a moment — Bush’s budget deficits were 0.6 percentage points below the historical average. (My former White House colleague Keith Hennessey eviscerates Obama’s assertion that we faced a “decade of spiraling deficits” here).

Now let’s consider Mr. Obama’s record: an unemployment rate of 9.5 percent, with 131,000 jobs lost in July, during our so-called Recovery Summer (Vice President Biden promised us up to 500,000 new jobs a month back in April). The overall unemployment rate, incorporating people who want jobs but did not look during July, is now 16.5 percent.

According to J.D. Foster, Obama’s “job deficit” — the difference between current employment and the jobs Obama promised to create by the end of 2010 – stands at a staggering 7.6 million workers. The 2010 deficit is $1.471 trillion, or 10 percent of GDP, while the debt is $9.2 trillion, or 62.7 percent of GDP. (From January 20, 2001, to January 20, 2009, the debt held by the public grew $3 trillion under Bush, from $3.3 trillion to $6.3 trillion; in 20 months, Mr. Obama will add as much debt as Mr. Bush ran up in eight years.) And let’s not forget that the Obama administration passed an $862 billion stimulus package and assured us that unemployment would not exceed 8 percent; instead, unemployment topped 10 percent – a figure higher than what the Obama administration said would occur if the stimulus package wasn’t passed.

much more at the link

NJ Stinks
08-13-2010, 01:51 AM
America agrees with me, Sunshine. Two terms, baybe. Obama won't get that far with the American people :)

But I luv ya anyways.

Politically speaking, the night Bush was re-elected was the worst night of my life.

Thanks for the reminder. :mad: :)

bigmack
08-13-2010, 02:00 AM
Politically speaking, the night Bush was re-elected was the worst night of my life.

Thanks for the reminder
Don't fret, it coulda been worse.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_EuK9OOHgp60/RYuL6Q-Oq4I/AAAAAAAAACM/ZVIjmLZQmmQ/s400/John%2BKerry%2BFrench%2B11-29-06.jpg

TheBid9
08-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Let's see; a president that shakes the hand of an American in service to his country!!! A president and first lady who take the time to mix it up with brave, courageous and unquestioning warriors!!! What's wrong with this picture? Oh yeah: where are the mass murderers and dictators or the mosques and prayer rugs? When I read president I thought we were talking about the preening, squawking, narcissistic miscreant that currently haunts the hallways of our White House!